Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Ideas for Marvel video games?

Marvel is getting into the gaming industry after only doing LEGO and mobile gaming for a while, and they've made a big deal out of it. We have proven successes with Spider-Man PS4, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and the upcoming Marvel's Avengers which they tout as a real Triple-A game (we'll have to see how that goes). I hope there's more planned. So what ideas do you guys have?

Here's one for me:

An open world Marvel RPG.

General Details
    • The game is set in open world New York City, in a large map that is based on Manhattan. If possible, I'd want a Westchester section, but they could move the the X-Men to Manhattan so long as there's a good in-story reason for it.
    • Instead of playing established Marvel characters, you play your own created character (details below).
    • As a hero, you can choose your own route to greatness, such as joining various small-time teams and taking on various levels of criminals/supervillains, before making your way to the big leagues. You can join different teams depending on what routes you take, like the Avengers, the Fantastic Four as an honorary member, the X-Men, and so on. Each one gives you different missions and interactions.
    • This being an RPG and open world, you can engage fights in various ways from different angles that make full use of the powers you give your character.
    • There are missions set outside of New York City, such as trips to Wakanda, Asgard, Xandar, Latveria, Madripoor, Savage Land, and so on. While they aren't open world areas, they still are breaks from the city itself.
    • The canon characters appear at various points, often to give missions and activities.
    • As you can expect, it's not specifically tied to the comics but takes place in a distilled world like what Spider-Man PS4 did or Batman: Arkham series to its mythos.
    • The world is fully realized, making the most of the Marvel Universe. You have Avengers Tower, Xavier's School, Baxter Building, Wakanda Embassy, Alias Investigations, Sanctum Sanctorum, The Raft, Roxxon, The Daily Bugle, Nelson & Murdock, Oscorp and more.
    • There's co-op, up to four players.

Character Details
    • Like in Mass Effect, you choose between multiple origins that determine how your character starts the game. This includes "Mutant, recently inducted in Xavier's School", "New York native, just began superhero career", or "Arrival in the city, fought crime elsewhere" as some examples.
    • You have different selectable origins, such as "Mutant", "Mutate", "Alien", "Tech", "Magic", or whatever else.
    • Powers are derived from archetypes, namely "Guardian" (tank characters), "Ranger" (projectile characters), "Fighter" (melee characters), "Support" (utility characters).
    • As you progress through the game, you unlock different branches for your abilities and new uses for them.
    • Also, you unlock more costume pieces to fit your character and update over time. You do this by finding them, completing missions, sidequests and whatever else.
    • It goes without saying that customization would be very extensive as it should be.

Just an idea I had that I thought would be cool.

Anyways, what ideas do you have for Marvel video games that you hope become a thing by chance? Discuss.

Gazillion took both my money and my heart.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Marvel is getting into the gaming industry after only doing LEGO and mobile gaming for a while, and they've made a big deal out of it. We have proven successes with Spider-Man PS4, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and the upcoming Marvel's Avengers which they tout as a real Triple-A game (we'll have to see how that goes). I hope there's more planned. So what ideas do you guys have?
    Cards on the table, I mainly like single player narrative action adventure games. Filthy casual. So from that perspective,

-- Big problem with Marvel is that so much is set in New York City that if you keep doing an open world game with every character...gonna grow stale real soon real fast.
    -- There's also the fact that if you have a lot of teams, doing an immersive deep game with multiple protagonists you switch with hasn't been done yet. And stories like crossovers which have a huge sprawl and ambition don't lend well.
    -- The biggest problem with Marvel making a Thor game is the fact that God of War is a thing.

Anyways, what ideas do you have for Marvel video games that you hope become a thing by chance? Discuss.

1) Doctor Strange can become a magic themed game. There was a section in The Witcher III where you entered a portal and hopped across dimensions and that made me think that this could be a Doctor Strange game. The Eternity Saga especially, Ditko's masterpiece, has a plot totally suited to games and can be adapted as is.

2) Obviously Black Panther, and an Open World Wakanda. I think if you adapt Panther's Rage by Don McGregor, it might work. That's a story where T'Challa returns to Wakanda after time in USA. He gets deposed by Erik, and is left in the forests, and usurped, so the plot has T'Challa in the wilds trying to take back territory and village, step by step, so you have a loop, you have prorgression, you have a levelling system since obviously T'Challa in the wilderness doesn't have his full tech yet. He builds allies and does side-quests and so on. For a sequel, you can adapt stories like "See Wakanda and Die" by Jason Aaron, totally a story that can be expanded into a full video game. Or alternatively have Wakanda and Atlantis at war, and the finale is that the real bad guy is Doom and Namor and T'Challa need to work together against him.

3) My out-there pick would be a Doctor Doom video game. First one, is Doom's origin as a revolutionary in Latveria. It's an open world game set in latveria and you get to conquer it. You can do Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor style siege campaigns since the entire mechanic of targeting, manipulating enemies and factions and so on is totally suited to Doom's MO. The second one is Doom 2099, where Doom travels to the future dystopia and becomes a hero, and your campaign is using the Doombots and all of his gadgets to...take over USA.

With Doom you can do a Dishonored style game, I mean the guy on the box-cover looks like Victor's mask already. And the game mixes and matches magic and technology. You can use all of Doom's powers and abilities and play your way, either stealthily and non-lethally or lethally.

Doom Corvo.jpg

4) I think an Ant-Man game would also be cool. Especially one centered on Scott Lang.

5) There hasn't been a decent X-Men game in a long while. A couple of good solo-Wolverine titles in the 2000s for sure. Obviously a big team game where you play characters of different powers isn't easy. I think something like New Mutants might be a good way to start. Ideally I think people would want to play the likes of Cyclops, Magneto, Nightcrawler (Dishonored has shown how teleportation can work in games), and Storm. The stories and material is enough that you can make virtually every kind of game, every kind except an open-world single player game.

Black panther in the style of Assassins creed would be absolutely delightful

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

An X-Men dating sim in which every member is an option.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I would be all over that. I love Assassin's Creed and if I'm running around as T'Challa all the better.

It should be a story. Each level is a different theme. Start with 1961 and the Fantastic Four and progress through time with each level. That would be the ultimate Marvel game. Silver Age, Bronze Age, Modern Age, etc. Make it so it can be modified. I used to play Freedom Force and I had hundreds of modified characters. Still do somewhere. It was a linear game but it was a lot of fun. They had a forum where theses computer geniuses would make all these mods and let the rest of the community download them for free. If I wasn’t so lazy I would install the game again. Problem is it took me years to modify it the way I wanted it. Everything has to be installed in a specific order to make it all work.

I even modified Marvel Ultimate Alliance. My computer couldn’t handle it. I burned out quite a few graphic cards so stopped playing games all together.
    Last edited by Dreaded Porcupine; 01-19-2020 at 10:40 AM.

They absolutely need to make a super hero MMO like CIty of Heroes or DCU Online. Why they haven't up to this point, I don't know.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    Preach it,bro. Marvel Heroes was the last great Marvel game and had tons of potentials. It's sad that the game was active in a period were Disney was at war with Fox and Gazillion made some very bad decisions that both killed the company and the game. It's sad that Marvel didn't try to ressurect the game with another developer or making an offline version.

I still miss my tri-build Dr Doom, or my main,Mr Fantastic.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    That was the first thing that came to my mind too. Black Panther seems perfect for a game like that in both the jungle and cities. Black Window would be perfect for a spy/stealth game too.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    I never did sign up for the Marvel Heroes game and then it was gone. But I really was spending more time on their Marvel Superhero Squad game. I used to be able to join up with my nieces and nephew on it and work as a team. I still miss that game! Since I am not that into games anymore it was more my speed!
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-19-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Astonishing Member

I like this rpg game, and the co-op sounds fun.

I wouldn't mind playing a game that follows the Annihilation event where you first play through each personal story of Nova, Silver Surfer, Super Skull, and Ronan. After doing each of theirs you play the main story as any of those heroes.

Mighty Member

I think a true marvel fighting game series like just marvel comics characters only.

A solo Storm game where you control the weather however you want.

An open-world Iron Fist game similar to Assassin Creed and Yakuza. I wanted a gimmick where Danny has to solve a problem affecting NY and K'un L'un. The sequel shifts through the 8 heavenly cities like God of War (ps4).