Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Even in the 80s, Silver Surfer =/= Luke Cage.

In fact ESPECIALLY in the 80s, because Luke's had an upgrade since.

Likewise Namor =/= Thundra, and Tony never really played in the same space as the Class 100 crew.

I’ll forgive Beast being in the same group as Captain Britain, because that’s Brian’s old costume and he took a big boost after that.
    Spider-man's bracket is a pretty broad one that maybe should have been split in two. Colossus and maybe She-Hulk should been in the same bracket as the Thing. Silver Surfer, at least back then, needed to pump himself up with the power cosmic in order to slug out with either the Thing or the Hulk, so maybe this bracket is a better representation of his default strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Hercules once towed the island of Manhattan with a chain. Hulk held up a mountain range in Secret Wars. Those are all ridiculous feats that leave Wonder Man and Iron Man looking out of place in that bracket.
    To be fair, even Wonder Man lifted a small island that left Reed Richards thinking ‘WTF??!!’.

He’s weaker than the others but he still has a fully-stamped membership card for the Class 100 Club. He just has a table in the corner near the toilets.

But yeah, Iron Man isn’t in that bracket.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I honestly think they put Stark there because of that one time he put all of the energy in his suit into a single punch that KO'ed the Hulk...and left himself frozen and shutting down (even his life support).

And even that feels like a bridge too far.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I'm not reeaaally attempting to adhere to and/or create some rigid definition. Nor am I particularly a fan of Marvel's old system.

Basically I just wanted to know "who could Ben Grimm BEAT in a slugfest but not easily".
    This is just a guess...I'm thinking Colossus?

Edit, I'm thinking this would be close. IIRC, Colossus has some H2H training and I believe Grimm was a golden gloves boxer or some such.
    Last edited by Cronus; 01-27-2020 at 11:31 AM.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I honestly think they put Stark there because of that one time he put all of the energy in his suit into a single punch that KO'ed the Hulk...and left himself frozen and shutting down (even his life support).

And even that feels like a bridge too far.
    Right? Heres another one: the two times Doc Samson knocked out the Hulk. One I remember fairly well, this was mindless Hulk who just trashed the Avengers (including Hercules and Wonder Man), but Doc managed a knockout.
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Right? Heres another one: the two times Doc Samson knocked out the Hulk. One I remember fairly well, this was mindless Hulk who just trashed the Avengers (including Hercules and Wonder Man), but Doc managed a knockout.
    Ah, the time when the Avengers sent Herc, Simon, Namor and Tony to fight Hulk and he beat the snot out of them.

I seem to remember a panel of Wonder Man’s head being stomped into the ground by a big green foot, with Simon saying something like “I wonder what the poor people are doing this time of year.”

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Absolutely! ^_^

Comics are full of people 'digging deeply' and somehow managing to do the impossible. Spider-man, for example, manages to punch out Firelord.

Don't we have a rule about that sort of thing? I have a vague memory...
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Absolutely! ^_^

Comics are full of people 'digging deeply' and somehow managing to do the impossible. Spider-man, for example, manages to punch out Firelord.

Don't we have a rule about that sort of thing? I have a vague memory...
    If we don’t, we should.

We could call it Samson Manages to Vanquish Fantastic Lummox, or SMVFL for short.

If we don’t, we should.

We could call it Samson Manages to Vanquish Fantastic Lummox, or SMVFL for short.
    SMvFL is super easy to remember.

I've just messaged The Watcher with a request to add it to the rules/FAQ section. Good idea Beadle!
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Ah, the time when the Avengers sent Herc, Simon, Namor and Tony to fight Hulk and he beat the snot out of them.

I seem to remember a panel of Wonder Man’s head being stomped into the ground by a big green foot, with Simon saying something like “I wonder what the poor people are doing this time of year.”
    It was a fun book to read. IH 316...

20200127_125721.jpg
    ----------------------

If we don’t, we should.

I love it.
    ----------------------

As an aside, it’s always struck me that our acronym is actually wrong. He’s not ‘Fire Lord’ - he’s ‘Firelord’, so technically it should be SMvF.

As an aside, it’s always struck me that our acronym is actually wrong. He’s not ‘Fire Lord’ - he’s ‘Firelord’, so technically it should be SMvF.
    Of coarse yuo wood notice that. Yuo are liek the king of ponting out spelign/gramar mistakes.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

It was a fun book to read. IH 316...

20200127_125721.jpg
    Simon should have been able to move quickly out of the way, but the foot-stump didn't hurt him. He just had to smell dirty Hulk-foot.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

ISTR Tony lifting battleships alongside Namor back in the 80s or 90s, but that maaaaay have involved magnetism.