Page 199 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 991491891951961971981992002012022032092492996991199 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,985 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Again -- I'm not going to waste time arguing with you for reasons already mentioned.

Just know that the more you focus on "looters" the more it shows how little you care about solving the cause of the problem.
    That's like arguing the people who focus on police brutality over the looters show how little they care about the people murdered by the looters, or the people who will die from the coronovirus due the protests. You can focus on one aspect more than others without necessarily being apathetic toward the rest of it.

The looting is the most IMMEDIATE issue. Police brutality is more a long game. We can discuss it now, but it likely won't be resolved for decades.

But more to the point, the point of these boards is to discuss the issues... not each other. If you're asking me not to discuss an issue feel is worth discussing and relavent, the answer is no. I'll stop discussing the riots when the riots stop. Which hopefully will be very very soon. If you're taking up board space just to accuse me of not caring about minorities (I am one by the way) or police brutality then we can continue that on PM if it's really necessary.. or you can just put me on ignore if you like. But again, I don't think we need to waste anymore time than we have discussing each other on the thread.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The looting is the most IMMEDIATE issue.
    To you.

Police brutality and white supremacy have been the "most IMMEDIATE" issues to black people and other people of color for centuries.

Which is why they have been protesting and "rioting" for centuries -- long before you jumped in and added your two cents.

Again -- don't presume to lecture the oppressed about the best way to fight against the oppressor when you're not the one being victimized.

Especailly when you can easily be seen as the latter.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-05-2020 at 05:00 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Looting, while ugly and wholly indefensible, is nothing more than a sidebar. Hell, there's been numerous cases looting, property destruction, even violence in cities after professional sports teams lost (and, in some cases, won) championships. Tell me, XPac, have you ever complained about THAT? Meanwhile, the REAL issue here that's stoked all the current madness is the escalating police brutality against people of color, against people like me who feel increasingly unsafe walking the nation's streets, fearful of being made a victim of rogue white cops looking to make life hell, or worse for citizens with dark skin. Look, I have no patience with looting which hurts everyone, black, white, rich or poor, but that simply isn't the issue at hand right now.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

To you.

Police brutality and white supremacy have been the "most IMMEDIATE" issues to black people and other people of color for centuries.

Which is why they have been protesting and "rioting" for decades -- long before you jumped in and added your two cents.

Again -- don't presume to lecture the oppressed about the best way to fight against the oppressor when you're not the one being victimized.

Especailly when you can easily be seen as the latter.
    I'm not lecturing to the oppressed... again, I'm lecturing to a bunch of criminals commiting and using the oppression of others as cover. Again, I separate the 2 things. Burning down buildings of innocent people and murdering members of your own community have NOTHING to do with social justce. It's just a bunch of criminals taking advantage of the protest to get free stuff. So I have no problem whatsoever lecturing about that. If criminals buring down mom and pop stores and murdering innocent people have issue with being lectured to then they can refrain from buring down mom and pop stores and murdering innocent people. Cause it's GONNA happen... and it should.

BUT if for arguements sake I'm wrong and the people commiting murder on innocent people due to feeling oppressed then I honestly feel I have every right to lecture against that anyways. Murdering innocent people is obviously wrong regardless of how victimized you feel, and that SHOULD be lectured too. I'd find more fault with those who would choose NOT to lecture against it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Looting, while ugly and wholly indefensible, is nothing more than a sidebar. Hell, there's been numerous cases looting, property destruction, even violence in cities after professional sports teams lost (and, in some cases, won) championships. Tell me, XPac, have you ever complained about THAT? Meanwhile, the REAL issue here that's stoked all the current madness is the escalating police brutality against people of color, against people like me who feel increasingly unsafe walking the nation's streets, fearful of being made a victim of rogue white cops looking to make life hell, or worse for citizens with dark skin. Look, I have no patience with looting which hurts everyone, black, white, rich or poor, but that simply isn't the issue at hand right now.
    Almost no one here supports the looting and nearly everyone has already spoken out against it.

It's ridiculous to keep complaining about it as if it's something new or that hasn't already been addressed by everyone from Trump to Obama.

It says a lot when people complain more about uprisings against violence and oppression than the centuries of abuse and violence that always lead to the uprisings -- what it says is that they are a lot more comfortable with an unjust peace than an uncomfortable struggle for justice.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-05-2020 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The looting and the coronovirus are both issues at hand... it may not be aspects you care as much about, but because people are dying or will die from them, they're issues at hand too.

As far as violence occuring from professional sports teams losing... no, I haven't really complained about that on social media. If something like that was occuring in my city where people I personally know are being put in danger, like we're seeing in these riots I would. I don't know anyone personally who was murdered... but I certainly know a few who have their livelihoods destroyed and likely are going to have a lot of difficulty coming back from it. If the same occured during the loss of a professional sports team I'd be complaining pretty vocally about that too.

BUt yeah, I know outside the US people care a lot about soccer for example and will riot over missed shots or whatever. BUt it doesn't quite hit home to the same degree, so yeah... don't feel the same need to discuss it. My sympathies goes to that, but it's less on my radar.

But proximity aside, the riots also have the potential to have Trump execute the Insurrection Act, which scares me a bit even if it's not in my city. THat's a whole other aspect to the issue, but again it effects me more even if it's not in my backyard and directly effecting people I know.

Almost no one here supports the looting and nearly everyone has already spoken out against it.

It's ridiculous to keep complaining about it as if it's something new or that hasn't already been addressed by everyone from Trump to Obama.

It says a lot when people complain more about uprisings against violence and oppression than the centuries of abuse and violence that led to the uprisings.
    Again, you can argue no one supports police brutality and everyone has already spoken out against it. Does that make it ridiculous to keep compaining about it as if it's something new?

This is a discusson board. People will occasionally discuss topics you might not want to talk about. It happens.

Ultimate Member

People will occasionally discuss topics you might not want to talk about.
    If it was only "occasionally" then I wouldn't have even bothered to address it.

But like I said before -- at least we all know where you really stand at this point and what your real priorites are.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-05-2020 at 05:24 AM.

To be frank, considering your posting is about me personally rather than the actual topic at hand you probably shouldn't have bothered addressing it in the first place (on the board at least... you could have PM me if you really felt the need to tell me not to discuss the matter ... not that I would have agreed to the request even if you did).

But like I said before -- at least we all know where you really stand at this point and what your real priorites are.
    Hopefully people do know where I stand and what my priorities are. I've certainly done my best to convey them to the best of my ability.

Ultimate Member

To be frank, considering your posting is about me personally rather than the actual topic at hand you probably shouldn't have bothered addressing it in the first place (on the board at least... you could have PM me if you really felt the need to tell me not to discuss the matter ... not that I would have agreed to the request even if you did).
    I've never told you not to discuss the matter -- just that your focus on "rioting" and "looting" rather than police violence reveals your priorities.

Which are obviously different from mine.

And so be it.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-05-2020 at 05:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Syphilitic dementia is a terrible affliction.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

And if people stopped quoting outrageous posts by people on my ignore list, my blood pressure would at least stand a fighting chance.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

BANNED

I’d really like to hear from Republicans on here, or conservatives, or even libertarians about what their solutions are to the problems of police brutality and systemic racism.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-05-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Everyone is aware, everyone is HIDEOUSLY aware. But the people have had enough of being murdered with impunity that their willing to risk the virus for a just cause (haircuts aint that).
    It's good to see people of all backgrounds, nationalities and especially the young out there -- says a lot that they would take that risk for the cause.

Gives some hope for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    I’d really like to hear from Republicans on here, or conservatives, or even libertarians about what their solutions are to the problems of police brutality and systemic racism.
    When last we spoke he admitted some problems exist but basically expressed -- after I explained many of my numerous negative interactions with police -- no real concern nor offered any real solutions to the problem at hand.

Which makes sense because a large part of the problem is that Republicans don't see police abuse against "minorities" as a serious issue -- they give it plenty of lip service but then support candidates who complain about people kneeling peacefully in protest against said violence.

He also asked for the usual "Democratic policy proposal suggestions" -- while wilfully ignoring his party's opposition, obstruction and rolling back of said policies and proposals anytime they are proposed or enacted by the Democratic party.

So good luck with that.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-05-2020 at 10:45 AM.