Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    PG needs K from her own universe (E-2) to affect her.
    Except...she doesn't. She was hurt by K from the main DCU universe in her own series by Max Lord.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Wasn't that during the time when they were saying that Karen wasn't affected by kryptonite or red sun radiation the same was as Clark because she's from another reality, and the molecular structures are different?
    Ah, yes, before they'd settled on how it worked on her...

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Except...she doesn't. She was hurt by K from the main DCU universe in her own series by Max Lord.
    That was how it was set up at one point. If it has changed since then, well, I didn't know about it.

Ah, yes, before they'd settled on how it worked on her...
    Pretty sure, yeah. But this was a while back, so my memory is pretty hazy on the details.

Personally, I thought it was a good train of thought. Mess with the weaknesses a little bit, maybe even a couple of the powers. Maybe not get rid of them completely, but tweak them. On her own earth, Karen's powers and weaknesses would be the same as they always are for Kryptonians, but on a foreign earth, in a completely different reality, some stuff is bound to be different so maybe the sun affects her cells differently too. Make a small adjustment where the powers/weaknesses are still clearly "Kryptonian" but aren't quite like Clark's. Just say that it took a long time for the solar radiation to accumulate enough to affect her abilities, establish that this weakness/power shift is the result of very prolonged exposure, and nobody has to worry about adventures across the multiverse; they'll never stay in one place long enough for this to matter.

It'd be a good way to keep Karen's "not from around here" elements visible without having to beat readers over the head with her multiversal origins. And yeah I know this is a lot like Daxamites and Bizarros, but I think it'd help distinguish Karen a little, and it's not like there's many Daxamites or Bizarro's getting regular panel time anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Wonder Woman.. TF!!
    #MagnetoWasRight

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Pretty sure, yeah. But this was a while back, so my memory is pretty hazy on the details.

Personally, I thought it was a good train of thought. Mess with the weaknesses a little bit, maybe even a couple of the powers. Maybe not get rid of them completely, but tweak them. On her own earth, Karen's powers and weaknesses would be the same as they always are for Kryptonians, but on a foreign earth, in a completely different reality, some stuff is bound to be different so maybe the sun affects her cells differently too. Make a small adjustment where the powers/weaknesses are still clearly "Kryptonian" but aren't quite like Clark's. Just say that it took a long time for the solar radiation to accumulate enough to affect her abilities, establish that this weakness/power shift is the result of very prolonged exposure, and nobody has to worry about adventures across the multiverse; they'll never stay in one place long enough for this to matter.

It'd be a good way to keep Karen's "not from around here" elements visible without having to beat readers over the head with her multiversal origins. And yeah I know this is a lot like Daxamites and Bizarros, but I think it'd help distinguish Karen a little, and it's not like there's many Daxamites or Bizarro's getting regular panel time anyway.
    That was one of her problems before Flashpoint IMO; that they never really did anything with that "Kryptonian from a different universe" thing. It was just there, but never used.

Maybe go for the Donner movie stuff with the main universe Kryptonians, and more Silver Age funk and super science for the Earth 2 crowd? There are a lot of things they could play around with that would make her being from a different universe work for the character...but they just never have. Personally, as a story device, I like having her come to Earth 2 as a late teen/young adult, so we can see her Krypton through her eyes, which would give her some depth beyond what she already has. But there are so many other things they could do.
    Last edited by achilles; 07-31-2020 at 05:36 AM.

Extraordinary Member

BTW, PG's biggest feat of power IMO was in Blackest Night, where she held her zombified cousin until he could be destroyed. While injured pretty badly. Which was something Superman and Conner together couldn't manage; and recall, he was the one who actually beat the Anti-Monitor, impressing even a watching Darkseid, in COIE. That was sort of on the low end of the Silver Age Kryptonian power scale, (and I hope the high end never again shows itself).

I'm not sure which is more impressive, the strength it took, or the guts, as she was shown as I said being hurt pretty badly during the fight. But then that's a key part of her character, never better demonstrated. It says nothing directly about her vs WW in the strength department, but it does show that she can and should be taken seriously as one of DC's most powerful and strongest heroines.

Maybe go for the Donner movie stuff with the main universe Kryptonians, and more Silver Age funk and super science for the Earth 2 crowd? There are a lot of things they could play around with that would make her being from a different universe work for the character...but they just never have. Personally, as a story device, I like having her come to Earth 2 as a late teen/young adult, so we can see her Krypton through her eyes, which would give her some depth beyond what she already has. But there are so many other things they could do.
    I'd say classic Silver Age aesthetics for Karen's Krypton, if I were gonna spitball ways to establish differences. Not even updated Silver Age, like Morrison and Waid have done, but legit Silver Age, with brightly colored tunics and headbands.

Probably treat the powers with a Silver Age vibe too; yellow sun turns them "on" at full blast, no "slowly absorbing sunlight" stuff. Red sun turns the powers off, no "slowly drains the Kryptonian" stuff. I wouldn't use Silver Age power levels, as that's unbalanced today, but I'd write the powers as working the same; if Karen loses her powers she is baseline human, just like back then.

I don't know what I'd do about the weaknesses; getting rid of them because "wrong reality's kryptonite" seems a bit much. And it wouldn't make any sense to replace kryptonite with another material, since Karen's not a Daxamite or anything.

I'd like to see Karen use fire breath and ice vision too, but that's such a Bizarro type of thing, yet would be the kind of minor tweak to the powers I'd like to see.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The most powerful and greatest heroine of DC is Kara Zor-El, the Pre-Crisis Supergirl.

More powerful than Superman, Destroyer of the War World and Hero of the first Crisis.

hero.jpg

sg.jpg
    Last edited by DevilBat66; 07-31-2020 at 11:36 AM.
    Batman - Daredevil

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    The most powerful and greatest heroine of DC is Kara Zor-El, the Pre-Crisis Supergirl.

More powerful than Superman, Destroyer of the War World and Hero of the first Crisis.

hero.jpg

sg.jpg
    Was the OP searching for the most powerful DC heroine currently active, or from ANY era; because sure, if you allow the Silver Age Kryptonians into it, SG probably would win. But...AFAIK, isn't she still dead? With the current version an entirely different character?

Also, I'm not sure she was at her peak during the toned down Bronze Age of COIE.

Raven or Zantana based on power.

If it is strength than WW or PG

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Sure but Dr Alchemi choosing PG over Diana does prove it.

At no point in any of those scans does he say Karen is more powerful than Diana. At worst, they are equal.

Astonishing Member

Keeping it interesting and acknowledging the redness of Diana, Kara-Karen, Mera or Vixen ... Or Abbie Arcane ... Or Zatanna, or myriad others ...

I think the most Powerful Woman in the DCU is Lois Lane. Even before you get to all the cosmic destiny and crisis singularity that swirls around her, I'm talking the Power of the Pen, and a level of true earned confidence even the Superwomen can't compete with.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I think the most Powerful Woman in the DCU is Lois Lane. Even before you get to all the cosmic destiny and crisis singularity that swirls around her, I'm talking the Power of the Pen, and a level of true earned confidence even the Superwomen can't compete with.
    Even Lois Lane knows her limits…

Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman (2014-2015) v2-123.jpg
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I love the Lois-Diana friendship. Haven't seen much of it in recent years but in post-Crisis I really enjoyed the two of them together.

~ Black Panther.