Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Basically one big fight scene.

So this was Gug doing another fake-out with Magma? Boo.

I'm happy! My precious Amara is still good!

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    This book is so pedestrian. The characters don't shine. Only Kitty and Logan get screentime and the former is written like a total bore, while the latter is already in 36 other books. The pacing goes way too fast, allowing no scenes to breathe as scenes quickly hop from location to location. We get no resolution on who Pyro and Avalanche are, despite Guggenheim hyping up their identity. The fights are boring and Guggenheim continues to use nostalgia and cheesy one-liners as a crutch to hide the fact he has no story to tell.
    Pretty much exactly how I expected things to go from the moment I heard Guggenheim was on the book. I don't blame Marvel for wanting to play it safe for the relaunch, but there's such a thing as TOO safe.

Can we please have one storyline where Amara isn't being mind controlled or her privacy isn't being invaded. That should have stopped after Empath but they just kept going. It's honestly just depressing now and uncomfortable to read.

i hope magma joins the team. they need some additional power and her and rache have a history

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i hope magma joins the team. they need some additional power and her and rache have a history
    It would also be a nice way to continue the 80's nostalgia without relying on a team we've already read better stories about.

BANNED

This team does not need additional power by any stretch of the imagination. Storm is a teambuster by herself with power reserves on a cosmic scale and added to that is Rachel, a powerful TP/TK mix. Then you have Nightcrawler, who has a tough power to beat. He can teleport in and out anywhere on the battlefield and deliver a punch at high speed. Unless the bad guys have somebody like Destiny on their team, or some kind of telepath that can read his mind to know where he will appear next, or some other kind of extra-sensory type character that can predict Kurt's destinations, he's nearly impossible to take out in a fight. Then you have Colossus who is invulnerable and has class 100 strength...you get my drift. This was one reason I was upset when I read in the previews that Rockslide and Armor went along for this mission. They were unnecessary. Also, on top of this, the more members on the team, the less focus for the individual members in the lineup. No, keep Amara out of the book.

That said, personally, I'd rather Rachel not be in the book either. I'd swap her out for Sage and put Rachel and Magma in another book with another team. Heck, they could take Kitty with them.
    Last edited by rutog98; 05-03-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Can't wait to read this. Any cool Claremontisms or nicknames this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    This team does not need additional power by any stretch of the imagination. Storm is a teambuster by herself with power reserves on a cosmic scale and added to that is Rachel, a powerful TP/TK mix.
    this is not the storm show, this is the x-men

BANNED

this is not the storm show, this is the x-men
    No it's not it's the Kitty Pryde Show.

Well, that was mediocre and predictable... I honestly expected at least ONE fakeout or misdirection! But no, everything unfolded exactly as I expected it to. Shame, it felt like this book might have had potential last issue but now it seems way more likely that it'll be just as meh as Guggenheim's previous X-cursions to the X-Books. Why would anyone write such an uninteresting opening arc when they could do something surprising by doing a bait and switch at least. This just followed some of the most overused set up story tropes. Nance is an eeeevil anti-mutant bigot who used mutants to further her anti-mutant politics. That is such a tired trope. I don't really know what else to say about this story other than that. It was just so basic. Can't even call it bad or boring, just... meh.

I soooooo hope that this book improves but I'm not holding my breath after reading this arc. Sad, so much wasted potential. What was the point of Magma being there other than to be a shocking surprise for the cliffhanger ending of issue 1? Her being brainwashed was to be expected after they revealed Mesmero's involvement and I doubt they'll bring it up or follow up on it in the future issues. I sure hope I'm wrong because while I've always found Magma to be one of the least interesting New Mutants (partially due to her lack of major development in original NM run) I think that addressing this recurring brainwashing thing and having her rekindle her friendship with Rachel could do wonders to not only her as a character but to Rachel as well. So I'm still hoping against hope that she won't completely disappear from this book.

And whatever happens in the upcoming issues, at least the art will be different! I just can't enjoy this art at all. And the coloring doesn't help either! Hopefully next issue will have better art and more vibrant coloring at the very least!
    Last edited by JustAnotherFan; 05-03-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Still not sure how I feel about this book. While I enjoy the classic X-Men feel and fast paced action, it is also what I dislike about the title.

I really feel like this could have been fleshed out for 2 more issues. I wanted to know more about this incarnation of The Brotherhood. Why was Amara brainwashed into joining this team? Who were Pyro & Avalanche? Why is Mesmero such an afterthought?

Hoping we get to see more of Magma before she gets lost in the already overcrowded cast.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
    Well, that was mediocre and predictable... I honestly expected at least ONE fakeout or misdirection! But no, everything unfolded exactly as I expected it to.
    But you see, the lack of a twist IS the twist!

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    No it's not it's the Kitty Pryde Show.
    Correction its the Kitty and Logan show, guest staring Storm, Nightcrawler, and Rachel
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer