Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

The dude Asta fought when he first used Black Meteorite was messing around in the ballpark of mountain stuff in the anime at least.

That said, that fight scene was super experimental so it might have been artistic licence.

EDIT: Looked it up, episode 63
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 07-05-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    no no. he's right. if that's how he feels, then i'm just gonna leave. people seem to have problems with my opinions. so i'm save everyone the trouble and just not be here anymore.
    Don't leave MoR. We'd miss you.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    The dude Asta fought when he first used Black Meteorite was messing around in the ballpark of mountain stuff in the anime at least.

That said, that fight scene was super experimental so it might have been artistic licence.

EDIT: Looked it up, episode 63
    The anime greatly expanded on that fight to give all the animators an action scene to mess around with.

In the manga Asta powers up, cuts through Ladros' attack with Black Meteorite, and that's it.

So no manga-canon possible mountain busting in that scene.

Video games are not worth fighting over, they are only worth fighting within the game.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member

no no. he's right. if that's how he feels, then i'm just gonna leave. people seem to have problems with my opinions. so i'm save everyone the trouble and just not be here anymore.
    It is a silly internet argument about a video game that got too heated. Nobody wants you to leave the site.

If you do want to take some time to chill out from the argument and put it into perspective that's perfectly fine. We will look forward to when you return to the dorky discussions here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Now this tension, this juxtaposition, is what makes the ending - and Joel as a character - compelling. This is also not claim that Abby is a "good guy" either. TLOU and the sequel especially are /very/ preoccupied with pointing out that people are not divisible by the binary of good vs bad but they are varying shades of grey and "good men" like Joel are capable of intensely evil and violent things given the right circumstances.
    This moral ambiguity sorta circles down the drain when the other two survivalist factions outside of Ellie's Jackson and Abby's Washington Liberation Front are a Mad-max esque cult of luddite religious zealots and roving slavers prowling the suburbs of California.

The former two are the sort thrust into desperate times forcing their hand, while the latter two are bloody cartoons.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    This moral ambiguity sorta circles down the drain when the other two survivalist factions outside of Ellie's Jackson and Abby's Washington Liberation Front are a Mad-max esque cult of luddite religious zealots and roving slavers prowling the suburbs of California.

The former two are the sort thrust into desperate times forcing their hand, while the latter two are bloody cartoons.
    Hey, you gotta have some people you can kill without feeling bad.

This is a triple A video game after all.

For real, TLOU2 is only really "daring" within very specific parameters. I'm impressed a triple A game was allowed to go as hard as it did on its themes but it's still very pedestrian in terms of complexity and execution when compared to the standards of the more adventurous indie titles.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 07-05-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Nah, stick around man.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post

Another problem, as mentioned in that EWW video on the game I posted, is that they try to manipulate you into sympathizing with Abby by basically trying to recapture the Joel/Ellie magic by throwing her together with Lev and having her play with a dog.

Of course, it doesn't help that Abby's crew seems to make mind-boggling stupid decisions. Like... say... approving the heavily pregnant doctor to go out and engage in dangerous combat missions. Pretty sure a doctor would be considered a vital necessity in an apocalyptic situation, and you don't let pregnant women go into dangerous situations unless it's absolutely necessary.

And really, TLoU 2 committed a major sin in storytelling due to their desire for moral ambiguity: They left us no one to really root for or like, even those characters we liked/rooted for in the first game. Now, I'm not saying that you can't do that, but just know that should you do so, don't act surprised if the audience doesn't enjoy it and turn against it.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

MoR. Your always awesome to read and it’s the internet. Relax man we are friends here.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Read, you're always been fun to read and discuss with. We're all buds here.

Dude, you know that we all love you here and having you leave is the last thing of any of us would want. The discussion got heated and some acerbic words were used back and forth, but in the end, we're just a bunch of nerdy friends debating about the flaws and merits of a video game.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Sometimes friends say things that they don't mean. If you need to take some time away, Read, go ahead. But please come back to us. You're one of the nicest and friendliest people I know around here.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

this will be the last post i make here for a while. i don't when i will be back. i don't know if i will be back. but i make this post to clarify why i am stepping away.

it's not the fact that we disagreed about a silly game that pissed me off. people can like or dislike what they want. I've never begrudged anyone for liking or not liking something, and if i do, it's only in a joking matter. i know some people like the game. that's fine. one of my friends likes the game and i never once questioned why he does or thought less of him for thinking so. and i have explained, MANY TIMES, why i don't like the story. the game has nothing to do with this.

what did set me off is some people, i won't name names, decided to question my integrity and belittle my intelligence about why i didn't like the story. i don't hate on something because it's the popular thing to do. if i don't like something, i give my reasons for it and make my position on the topic as clear as i possibly can. i expect this kind of stuff from a stranger on the internet. but from persons i thought were my friends, persons i thought had enough respect for me and my opinion to not do, persons who have known me for a long time to know how i roll when it comes to this? that's a slap in the face i can't ignore. for me, friendship is about respect. it's a two way street. I've been disrespect by people i thought were my friends before and i won't let it happen again.

so i'm gonna step away from here. i could come back tomorrow or next week or 5 months from now. i'm not sure. but when i do come back, i'm gonna have to change some things around and re-evalute who i can call a friend. if we have been cool and respectful to each other, you have nothing to worry about.

i made this post so that my intentions and reasons for leaving aren't confused or assumed or misinterpited. that is all. i will still be streaming the tournament every Friday. i just won't be here to post anything regarding it.

thank you for your kind words. and hopefully, i will see you all again in the future.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Sorry to see that things have progressed in less-than-ideal directions around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    So the kitten passed yesterday. Not going to lie, I cried on and off last night a lot. We only had it for a week and a half, but I fell in love right away. You'd think that only having it for a short time would make it easier, but it really doesn't.
    And I'm very sorry to hear this, Vak. I'm so sorry for you. I know that yes, you gave the kitten a good place and it was happy for its short life, and that's a good thing. But it still is clearly very hard for you; not much comfort when you cared for the poor thing. And no, having that love for a short time doesn't make it any easier.

Please stay safe.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate