Page 195 of 359 FirstFirst ... 95145185191192193194195196197198199205245295 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,925 of 5374
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    Im with you there, hell I half expected Punk to retire when he was doing commentary after that first deal ran out, I am all for wrestlers doing a short but meaningful careeer and getting out

who wants to be in their 40s and 50s still having to work because you have no other options?
    It's like that in regular sports---high turnover--by 40 you're a has-been in most sports.

Even though it was great to see Ric Flair wrestle for a long time, there were moments when it stretched credibility to see him beating guys that were 30 years younger than him.

That said, I think there are a lot of older wrestlers who don't necessarily need the work, but still wrestle because they enjoy it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    It's like that in regular sports---high turnover--by 40 you're a has-been in most sports.

Even though it was great to see Ric Flair wrestle for a long time, there were moments when it stretched credibility to see him beating guys that were 30 years younger than him.

That said, I think there are a lot of older wrestlers who don't necessarily need the work, but still wrestle because they enjoy it.
    The Funks for instance.

Astonishing Member

?????

That photo confirmed as the real deal? I wonder if it hasn't been photoshopped.

Anyway Thursday is a more natural night and it used to air then. TNA about to lose it's TV contract on Thursday also creates a bit of a wrestling void for fans who like to watch that night. The E probably hopes to partially harvest them too guess.

Main downside is Thursday Night Football. But they deal with a more formidable and longer MNF already.
    Kurt Angle:"Canada is lacking two things.The first is Olympic heroes,and no Ben Johnson does not count.The second is Memorial Day.We in the States celebrate our heroes by having barbecues.I realise here in Canada you can't have barbecues because you'd be attacked by a moose,a caribou or even a grizzly,it's true! Hold on a second - you'd probably be attacked by a grizzly as well.On second thought..the Grizzlies don't beat ANYBODY here in Vancouver,let alone anywhere else,it's true,it's true!"

BANNED

Thursdays a better night because it's not Friday. Then again, Smackdown used to have a lot of value for being immune to the Friday night death slot.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Also, KENTA is using the GTS as a finish. He's being billed as, "the originator" of the GTS. And apparently HHH is behind that part of his push. Sour grapes much?

Is CM Punk this generation's Macho Man?
    I think the 'E kinda has to do that for KENTA, or else fans will go "why is this Japanese dude stealing Punk's GTS/Rush and Bryan's knee?"

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Batista is at his best when he's the ultimate douchebag. His recent movie success would be the perfect set up for his gimmick in that he has become this Hollywood Superstar who believes that the WWE and it's wrestlers are beneath him. You can even add the heel heat by having Batista say that he's a bigger movie star than The Rock.

On the Punk thing. While I still say Punk is the main one at fault I do agree that it's pointless for The E to trashtalk him. They can always create another popular babyface.
    But for that to work, Batista has to crush Miz (who is doing the same gimmick, only with a direct-to-video release which makes him a poser to Dave's real deal flick) and that would cement him as a face.

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    I'll say, the "beat the clock" bit is clever and fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Yeah it's one of the few gimmick matches that never gets old
    The thing that always bothered me (and to be honest I haven't finished Raw yet, maybe it gets addressed) is that they never state what happens if the other guy wins. Ambrose has to beat ADR to set the clock, but what if del Rio beats him? I mean, this has never entered anyone's thoughts as a possible chain of events. Does Alberto get the match instead? Does he just get a pat on the back? Why bother putting up a good fight if winning gains him nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jadis View Post
    I still don't see why Punk did not tough out the final few months and then be free. I could more understand if he had years left.

Just tell Vince and Trips ahead of time that you aren't re-signing. He could have worked one or two more programs putting over more of the newer guys and then left in relative peace.
    He may have been pretty banged up. Or unmotivated, or in a place where he felt like he wouldn't be safe to work with or could only quarter-ass it -- and that lazy effort is what we'd remember him for.

Quote Originally Posted by marvell2k View Post
    Punk isn't entirely out of the woods yet though. Lots of frustration from the McMahon clan about how this all transpired. He could be getting sued for breach of contract. If the guy didn't like things yeah he could walk away but it doesn't mean he could just expect just walk out on his contract with no ramifications.
    I think there was something along the lines of the contract being for a number of dates, not a time period, and he had fulfilled the required number of matches. Anything over and beyond and he'd get paid for them, but he completed the minimum standards of his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadis View Post
    I still don't see why Punk did not tough out the final few months and then be free. I could more understand if he had years left.

Just tell Vince and Trips ahead of time that you aren't re-signing. He could have worked one or two more programs putting over more of the newer guys and then left in relative peace.
    punk to me seems a bit immature, like i bet he's not much different than he was in high school. he was probably just angry when he left and not mature enough to go back and make things right.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    But for that to work, Batista has to crush Miz (who is doing the same gimmick, only with a direct-to-video release which makes him a poser to Dave's real deal flick) and that would cement him as a face.
    i still say have miz be his sidekick, miz will think he's an even bigger star because he rubs elbows with fruitista whie fruitista just uses miz to get him coffee and carry his bags.

The thing that always bothered me (and to be honest I haven't finished Raw yet, maybe it gets addressed) is that they never state what happens if the other guy wins. Ambrose has to beat ADR to set the clock, but what if del Rio beats him? I mean, this has never entered anyone's thoughts as a possible chain of events. Does Alberto get the match instead? Does he just get a pat on the back? Why bother putting up a good fight if winning gains him nothing?
    agreed 100%. it makes the opponents look pretty bad too, they're all but admitting they have no chance of winning and the only question is how long it will take them to lose.

Extraordinary Member

Smackdown would be better if it was live.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    I think the 'E kinda has to do that for KENTA, or else fans will go "why is this Japanese dude stealing Punk's GTS/Rush and Bryan's knee?"

He may have been pretty banged up. Or unmotivated, or in a place where he felt like he wouldn't be safe to work with or could only quarter-ass it -- and that lazy effort is what we'd remember him for.

I think there was something along the lines of the contract being for a number of dates, not a time period, and he had fulfilled the required number of matches. Anything over and beyond and he'd get paid for them, but he completed the minimum standards of his contract.
    I'm under the impression from the Da Meltz that this isn't the case though.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post

?????
    Spike would seriously be dumb to renew TNA now if this is true. TNA's corpse isn't even cold yet.
    Last edited by marvell2k; 08-06-2014 at 06:59 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    punk to me seems a bit immature, like i bet he's not much different than he was in high school. he was probably just angry when he left and not mature enough to go back and make things right.
    Or maybe he was he was worn the hell out from working hurt without the piles of painkillers his coworkers use to get through their schedules. Assuming the straight edge stuff wasn't a work anyways.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvell2k View Post
    Spike would seriously be dumb to renew TNA now if this is true. TNA's corpse isn't even cold yet.
    I never understood why they didn't move to thursday before, it would have killed TNA a lot earlier.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I never understood why they didn't move to thursday before, it would have killed TNA a lot earlier.
    Because they never cared about TNA. TNA could of been what ECW was to the WWF. Instead they had this goddamn lets compete with WWE complex that they had no shot of ever winning. TNA wasn't something they cared enough to bother with. They probably never took a miniscule bite out of WWE business in near ten years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post

i still say have miz be his sidekick, miz will think he's an even bigger star because he rubs elbows with fruitista whie fruitista just uses miz to get him coffee and carry his bags.

agreed 100%. it makes the opponents look pretty bad too, they're all but admitting they have no chance of winning and the only question is how long it will take them to lose.
    Exactly LBO...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    Because they never cared about TNA. TNA could of been what ECW was to the WWF. Instead they had this goddamn lets compete with WWE complex that they had no shot of ever winning. TNA wasn't something they cared enough to bother with. They probably never took a miniscule bite out of WWE business in near ten years.
    And that was TNA's problem. They cared so much about competing against the E they never even bothered focusing on letting their own company grow. Did anyone really think TNA would have stood a chance against them when they competed against Raw? Of course not.

NXT even has a better show than Impact.