Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default X-Men sales figures for November

Here are sales figures for November:
    https://www.cbr.com/doomsday-clock-n...ales-charts/2/

Horrible! No X-Men team book sold over 40,000 copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Here are sales figures for November:
    https://www.cbr.com/doomsday-clock-n...ales-charts/2/

Horrible! No X-Men team book sold over 40,000 copies.
    Not good at all. I still have not idea how Gold is outselling Blue but the fact that 35K is the new normal for a core X-men title is just surreal. Most of the solo's are not doing well either. JG at 17K and Iceman at 12.5K.

I wonder if these numbers helped Mr. Alonso out the door? To be fair they've not been great for a long while now but this seems like a new low.

Not getting variant covers like the rest of the Marvel line has probably killed Gen X.

BANNED

I wish we got to see estimates for digital sales. I'd be curious how that would affect the numbers since we already know some books (RE Moon Girl) sell better digitally than via Direct Market.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

well damn

10char
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I wish we got to see estimates for digital sales. I'd be curious how that would affect the numbers since we already know some books (RE Moon Girl) sell better digitally than via Direct Market.
    Honestly the fact that Marvel never releases this information is a sign to me that the news is not great. If the digital sales numbers were strong (compared to offline) I feel like Marvel would be screaming it from the rooftops, just to have something positive to say about its sales figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    Honestly the fact that Marvel never releases this information is a sign to me that the news is not great. If the digital sales numbers were strong (compared to offline) I feel like Marvel would be screaming it from the rooftops, just to have something positive to say about its sales figures.
    I know they sometimes cite digital sales for keeping a title affloat or for non-brick-and-mortar comic shop success, but it doesn't seem like an across the board thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know they sometimes cite digital sales for keeping a title affloat or for non-brick-and-mortar comic shop success, but it doesn't seem like an across the board thing.
    Sure and in those cases I think they're identifying some successes. Generally speaking, corporations (especially publicily traded corporations) remain very quiet about failures and oversell successes. Given the focus on digital distribution in other areas of entertainment (Spotify, Steam, Amazon, Hulu\Netflix, etc.) you'd think if this delivery platform was a success, they'd be talking about it in no uncertain terms.

Blue will not sell more than gold only with the O5 even if the stories are a bit better. And let's be honest analyzing the quality of Gold and Blue these sales are good because the stories are weak. As for the rest they seem to have remained more or less in the same place with a few exceptions.

Doomsday Clock # 1, Dark Nights: Metal had great sales and DC overall was better than marvel.

BANNED

The best you can get is the comixology weekly top 12's, want me to dig em for you?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    The best you can get is the comixology weekly top 12's, want me to dig em for you?
    You can see more than just the top 12 if you pull up the entire chart for the week but it doesn't give us much beyond numerical ranking, and AFAIK there's no way to see how things stack up monthly.

Sure and in those cases I think they're identifying some successes. Generally speaking, corporations (especially publicily traded corporations) remain very quiet about failures and oversell successes. Given the focus on digital distribution in other areas of entertainment (Spotify, Steam, Amazon, Hulu\Netflix, etc.) you'd think if this delivery platform was a success, they'd be talking about it in no uncertain terms.
    If you mean giving exact digital sales numbers, Marvel has a vested interest in not divulging that information: it's an easy angle for cover-up. If a book they really want to force out there is selling poorly, they can say the book is selling well enough in digital to justify keeping it going. If they really want to kill a book, they can say digital isn't selling well enough. It becomes harder for someone to say Marvel's making decisions based on personal bias or pure marketing fluff if Marvel has a ready-made excuse and no data available to call them on it.

It's a bit like how Marvel says (or used to say) that they completely disregard what anyone says on the internet. They watch for what people say online, but they don't want to admit they do it because they're afraid admitting it will encourage people to be more vocal with complaints and concerns.

That aside, the problem faced with the X-Men books is that they're trapped in a nostalgia bubble. If all you're offering is nostalgia, then only the bits that generate the most nostalgia for the broadest group of people will sell. Gold's selling better than Blue because Gold is catering to Claremont era nostalgia, while Blue is catering (or meant to do so) to 60s nostalgia. A well-crafted book that looks forward instead of behind would sell better. Doesn't mean the past can't be used and respected, but it can't come across like doing so isn't being used to move forward.

Frankly, the problem of nostalgia for the X-Men books is such that at times I've even wondered if that nostalgia focus is deliberate on Marvel's part to undermine the franchise. Make everyone think the franchise's best days are behind it and it has no future.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I wonder if these numbers helped Mr. Alonso out the door?
    The fact that Marvel only had 2 out of the top ten books doesn't help, and one of those was a Star Wars book. So it doesn't speak well to demand.

Overall, though, woof. I never thought that the highest moving X-Book would be in the 40s. Frakking terrible. Cebulski needs to come in and clean house: he won't, but he should.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Marvel never releases any sales figures, though. The sales charts are all guesstimates from Diamond. Marvel will brag on a book if its digital sales exceed expectations (a la Ms Marvel), but no reason to make noise over business as usual.

Astonishing Member

Holy **** that was a bad month for marvel. I hope the Phoenix varents bring the X-Men back up.

In the marvel app top 6 for last week are Spider-Man, blue,jean, and ANW, star wars, wepond x legacy. Id expect didital to add some were between 20 and 60 peecent to the sales numbers maby more.