Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Vader found out about Luke in the Star Wars comic from Boba Fett.

I don't think he knew about Leia until RoTJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Correct. We see him learn Leia's identity during RotJ. We never see him learn Luke's onscreen, it happens sometime between ANH and ESB. But, as Frontier mentioned, we see it in the Marvel comics. Both the Star Wars mainline series and his own Darth Vader (V1) feature the scene, where Boba Fett tracks down the rebel pilot who destroyed the Death Star and informs Vader. It's one of the best sequences the comics have done, honestly.
    Ok, very interesting. Thanks!

Sounds like a missed opportunity, not showing that on screen at some point. You have to think once Vader finds out about Luke, it would change his attitude somewhat.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 06-03-2022 at 02:43 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Who were caught by surprise, VASTLY outnumbered, predisposed to not simply slaughter the clones on principle, and also had to think about protecting innocent children who could not defend themselves. The attack on the Temple is one of those places where they were simply outmaneuvered by Palpatine, the entire deck stacked against them in every conceivable way. And that's before you throw Vader into the mix.
    Yeah, a Sith Lord and one of the strongest Jedi was literally leading the slaughter.

And it's not like every Jedi died, but most of the ones that aren't main characters got hunted down by Vader or the Inquisitors.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I don't think Vader chose to be good, he just chose family (his son) over the Emperor. But he did get to be a Jedi ghost because of it.
    I wonder if all the Jedi he murdered over the decades got to be a Jedi force ghosts as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    I wonder if all the Jedi he murdered over the decades got to be a Jedi force ghosts as well?
    I think Anakin was kind of special. You have to do a certain kind of training to be able to become a Force Ghost.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    It's explained in the prequels that the Jedi are losing their connection to the force because of the Dark Side resurgence, so their capabilities aren't the same as they were in previous generations.
    There is that, and the experienced Jedi were scattered all over the Galaxy, and isolated. Darth Sidious slaughtered several still at the Capitol. The temple seemed mainly occupied. Younglings and early-stage Padawans.

I guess the lead writer and producer didn’t know and had to ask if Obi-Wan knew if Anakin was using the name Vader. Yikes.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I get that, I just don't think a guy who killed 2 billion people should get off that easy. Maybe he finally turned to the light side, but I don't think he deserved complete redemption. A little too "Cathoilic" for me.
    How many did Luke kill when he blew up the Death Star? Star Wars hasn't exactly come out with a Jedi Bible that explains their morality.(or have they?) Who's to say how killing people factors in - or in what context? Also, who's to say being able to become a Force Ghost = redemption? I think we infer some kind of redemption because they seem like heavenly angels or whatnot and they seem at peace, but it could just be that Vader learned that discipline (maybe this series will show us how Vader even learned of its existence from Obi-Wan in some way and this starts him practicing in his tank the way Obi-Wan has been) - not that it equals being redeemed in any way.(aside from figuratively)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-03-2022 at 05:50 PM.

You really see destroying a military target the same as wiping out a planet?
    Last edited by Kirby101; 06-03-2022 at 06:50 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

You really see destroying a military target the same as wiping out a planet?
    Of course it's not the same, but that's what I'm questioning. (I mean, Vader might have seen Alderan as a military target - would that be better?) Divorced from any Judeo-Christian metaphors or similarities does the Force care or judge? Is it moral? I was responding to the notion that Anakin becoming a Force Ghost somehow equaled redemption,(as though he went to Heaven) but who says the Force works that way?

Vader found out about Luke in the Star Wars comic from Boba Fett.

I don't think he knew about Leia until RoTJ.
    Yup and it made him look like a dimwit. He can sense luke across space in another ship but can't sense his daughter sitting right next to him for years in the same room or in a tiny room while he is doing awful things to her? You stink at the force vader. Even lego star wars made fun of this.

Also, hey lets hide luke at his dads old home with the same name away from vader but change his sisters last name but put his sister with parents who's job is to deal with vader so she will grow up around vader then work and sit right next to him everyday!

He will never find her there!

The problem with retconning is it is hard to make all the pieces fit. None of the Skywalker family saga was there in A New Hope. We know Lucas had a completely different script that evolved into Star Wars. So we see many scenes that are later explained away with various results. In a New Hope, Luke and Leia were not siblings and maybe Vader was Luke's father (It seemed Obi-Wan knew more than he was letting on). But as the story grew over the trilogy, we all learned to live with the inconsistencies.
    One thing I always wondered. What did Lucas have in mind when Obi-Wan allowed himself to be struck down by Vader, claiming "I will be more powerful than you can possibly imagine." The finale shows he has become a god-like presence when he talks to Luke, but in ESB he is just a Force ghost and not all-powerful, he actually can do nothing but appear to a Force sensitive person. Now I don't care about the fan explanations for this. But I do wonder what Lucas had in mind. Was there an idea for a Force-God Obi-Wan in future movies?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I would say "powerful" in that he'd be a major influence to the one person who would go on to defeat Vader/turn him from the dark side. But then that depends on how much of that story you believe Lucas had planned out when he made Ep. 4.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Yup and it made him look like a dimwit. He can sense luke across space in another ship but can't sense his daughter sitting right next to him for years in the same room or in a tiny room while he is doing awful things to her? You stink at the force vader. Even lego star wars made fun of this.

Also, hey lets hide luke at his dads old home with the same name away from vader but change his sisters last name but put his sister with parents who's job is to deal with vader so she will grow up around vader then work and sit right next to him everyday!

He will never find her there!
    Leia's probably too young for Vader to sense anything but he also probably has tunnel-vision while hunting Obi-Wan.

I don't think Vader and Bail interacted that much. I think they interacted more with Tarkin of anyone in the Imperial Chain of Command (I know Tarkin made a surprise visit to Alderaan once).

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I know I'm in the minority but Obi Wan is a mixed bag. Not sure how much I like how they're using Vader so far.

+ One thing I'll give Disney credit for, they made Vader scary. He's the boogeyman he should be.
    + I love the power and presence he brings

- Killing military lackeys is one thing, but most of Anakin's Life he protected the innocent. Still not convinced he would kill innocent children so quickly. Especially order 66
    - Some his lines were stupid "You made me this way" (No Anakin, you pretty much did that yourself)
    - Its really messing with the Canon. I prefer Obi Wan and Vader meeting from Mustifar to a New Hope.

If I was a Disney Writer, I'd have made the series about a lesser famous Jedi Survivor (Quinlan Vos would be my choice.) Nothing is set in stone for his future, his character is almost a blank canvas, and it shouldn't cause too many ripples in canon.

Given their tendency to incorporate Details revealed in the Disney live-action media in their OT titles (with the exception of Mandalorian, strangely enough) as soon as they come out, I'm kind of curious if the events of this series will be mentioned in the Marvel comic series.

For example, shortly after SOLO came out Han had a discussion with Leia in the monthly about his short-lived Imperial pilot/trooper past.

The Dameron family & Holdo have become a major part of the current monthly title.

The current Vader volume has incorporated Ochii and the Exegol stuff from ROS.

So I'm guessing in a coming issue Luke & Leia might have a conversation about their old mutual friend.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth