Page 25 of 76 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Yeah. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

[m1.jpg
    m2.jpg
    m3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    My headcanon is that is that it was the trauma of being "demutated" (I mean that should be painful or outright letal) what made her go demon, not that she stopped being a mutant.
    that might have worked but Scott flat out says her mutation keeps the demon form at bay

Anyone else think it was weird that Magik "lost her cool" and grabbed Emma by the cuff and issued a threat?

While I appreciate Rosenberg's attention to Magik...not all of it seems in character. Since she has returned, Magik is usually somewhat calm in tense situations. However, her reaction to Emma's scheme seemed juvenile. Very similar to her temper tantrum against Sunfire under Lemire's pen.

I don't know. I go back and forth on whether Rosenberg "gets" Magik or not. Some issues are spot-on, while others are not.

Guess it doesn't matter though...only one more issue until HOX/POX and whatever that brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Anyone else think it was weird that Magik "lost her cool" and grabbed Emma by the cuff and issued a threat?

While I appreciate Rosenberg's attention to Magik...not all of it seems in character. Since she has returned, Magik is usually somewhat calm in tense situations. However, her reaction to Emma's scheme seemed juvenile. Very similar to her temper tantrum against Sunfire under Lemire's pen.

I don't know. I go back and forth on whether Rosenberg "gets" Magik or not. Some issues are spot-on, while others are not.

Guess it doesn't matter though...only one more issue until HOX/POX and whatever that brings.
    Magik went from eing a TO infested zombie to mindwiped and manipulated by Emma. I think her outburst was justified given the violation she must have felt for agency taken from her. It seems in character as she had a similar outburst way back in Claremont's run when Xavier had Karma mind control her. Whats been happening to Illyana here is worst as it wasnt one isolated incident but the thought of her head messed with for months

Last edited by Havok83; 07-03-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Magik was right. Emma manipulated them from behind and then gave the vaccine to ONE

Weird? More so disappointing, for me.

And yeah, I agree. Like, her porting into the place ahead of everyone like "What? I scouted and vetted this ****. Get in here."

But yeah. Disappointing, getting all up in Emma's face like that.

Guessing feral Demon Magik will only last one issue before the reboot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Guessing feral Demon Magik will only last one issue before the reboot.
    Unless she's being replaced by Steel Magik.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Unless she's being replaced by Steel Magik.
    Roll it back now...roll it back!

I am 75% sure it is a new character. But the 25% that thinks it is Illyana comes from that lenticular variant that changed between what looked like Illyana & "Steel Magik".

BANNED

Roll it back now...roll it back!

I am 75% sure it is a new character. But the 25% that thinks it is Illyana comes from that lenticular variant that changed between what looked like Illyana & "Steel Magik".
    I wouldn't be okay with that either because I hate it when they make characters unrecognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    I wouldn't be okay with that either because I hate it when they make characters unrecognizable.
    Yeah, not a fan either. But if it is, maybe it would only be her future-self...AKA one we will probably never see again

Extraordinary Member

The funny thing is that if she regains control Illyana shouldn't lose that much functionality from losing her mutant powers. She knows teleportation spells like the one she taught Pixie, and there are also spells for time traveling which she can learn if she doesn't already know. Maybe it would take slightly longer or be slightly less effective, but there's no ability she couldn't just replace with a spell to do basically the same thing. I think she was in fact using a teleportation spell to send the soldiers and Juggernaut to Limbo after transforming.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The funny thing is that if she regains control Illyana shouldn't lose that much functionality from losing her mutant powers. She knows teleportation spells like the one she taught Pixie, and there are also spells for time traveling which she can learn if she doesn't already know. Maybe it would take slightly longer or be slightly less effective, but there's no ability she couldn't just replace with a spell to do basically the same thing. I think she was in fact using a teleportation spell to send the soldiers and Juggernaut to Limbo after transforming.
    I don't see any of this as being much of a 'thing', given that as Hell Lord of Limbo, Illyana can do whatever there anyway, including giving herself mutant powers back again, using the various healing spells she knows, or just pure reality warping (note also that Hope used Magik's mutant powers after Illyana had allegedly 'lost' them... Illyana 'spontaneously' recovering from TO without much explanation is another suspicious circumstance along this line, another example of pretending to be affected by something until it gets too difficult or boring, like wearing the bomb jacket, getting 'captured' by the Limbo Babies, Piotr's Juggernaut phase etc.)

I see most all of this as Deep Games by Illyana, including pretending to have been mind controlled by Emma, as well as by Xian and Tran before this, including convincing them that they had ever actually controlled her (see Xavier 'teaching her English telepathically' as mentioned in UXM v1 #163 despite her 'extraordinary powerful and sophisticated psionic shield'.)

Given that Illyana has been shown to jump to possible futures to view outcomes to actions, and to 'replay' events looking for solutions, everything we see on the page could be the thousandth time she has run through the scenario, depending on how curious or perfectionistic she feels about it. (Note also that Belasco himself was 'replaying' the kidnapping of the X-Men in #160 and the Magik Miniseries, our Illyana being the survivor of the second abduction, 'Little Snowflake' who died of Legacy being the target of the first kidnapping.)

It was fun to watch the Darkchylde one-shot Juggernaut in this week's issue, but what had he actually ever done against her? Was she just using the opportunity to seize Cyttorak's power? One other possibility is that she didn't want people questioning why she wasn't proof against telepathy earlier, given that Cain kept bringing it up relentlessly. (See also Death of X, where Illyana went along with the Cyclops illusion, but only half-heartedly, dropping sceptical hints throughout.)

I think it would be great months from now if she talks to Dark Beast's head in a jar in Limbo about all of this, admitting she sort of liked the outcome of the badguys' plot, but wanted to maintain plausible deniability of killing kids etc from her friends.

Turning Darkchylde might have been less about 'losing her mutant powers', and more about stretching her legs after a long period of 'being small', like feminist viewpoints suggest women have done for centuries.

Spectacular Member

This really stinks. We lost Illyana in terms of story from what, issues printed in 1989 when Inferno ended until 2006 when she was resurrected? So few major characters have taken such a long pause. This development better be temporary because that is some BS to do with a character that deserves to remain front and center.

I really hope this gets resolved next issue or reversed via Hickman. Come on, let Magik stay!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Every writer since Magik came back has ignored the immunity to telepathy plot, so people just have to let go of that, or self-canon like "she's just pretending she doesn't know who Emma is" or "she pretended she didn't know Cyclops was dead in Death of X". It's just not part of her powerset anymore.