Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

I don't think I'm enjoying this anymore. The art rocks but the writing is flawed.

Plus, BatGod much? I can't believe he actually beat Darkseid.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Of course they're not going to get to do the things Batman does
    Agreed.

they're not as popular as he is. I doubt GL or Flash vs the JL or GL or Flash vs Darkseid stories would sell as well as Batman vs JL or Batman vs Darkseid. This is still a business and Batman makes more money than GL and Flash.
    My point in a nutshell. I wonder why you disagreed earlier? Batman Is Popular so Batman Can Do Anything - and people complain about this breaking story continuity by giving additional feats to a character purely because of their salesbase.

And GL has a a ring that can do anything he imagines and Flash can run FTL they don't need a special suit to help them. Batman on the other hand has no powers so it makes sense he'd need a suit like the Hellbat to take on someone like Darkseid.
    If they all had Hellbat suits, they could knock the stuffing out of Darkseid pretty easily!

Reckon "The Darkseid War" will see the League breaking out it's Hellbat Army? Or will the Flash still just run very quickly?
    And others do commit similar "sins" I already mentioned how Batman fighting Superman is called PIS but Lex having tech that can kill an army of Kryptonians isn't.
    Get back to me on this one when Luthor actually kills an army of Kryptonians with his tech.

Bruce won because he was fueled by something that Darkseid has never felt: the love for his son.

Quote Originally Posted by dick_wingnut View Post
    Wow, this was as god awful and ham-fisted a comic book resurrection as I have ever seen.
    Glad I'm not the only one.

I just look forward to Damien being back, even if I find him and Bruce a bit redundant together.
    But now he's SUPER Robin!!! so it's a whole new dynamic.

I enjoyed moments along the way in this story, but really just hate where it ended up and how it resolved.

Emotional impact=0
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

I'm underwhelmed by this whole arc. I kinda wished that it would have focused more on Godfrey and Kalibak but they were treated as jobbers in favor of BatGod punching out Darkseid. Sure we can pretend that he was not at full power but nothing in this arc really indicates that, for all intents and purposes Batman defeated Darkseid in a fight.

It was like Mortal Kombat.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm underwhelmed by this whole arc. I kinda wished that it would have focused more on Godfrey and Kalibak but they were treated as jobbers in favor of BatGod punching out Darkseid. Sure we can pretend that he was not at full power but nothing in this arc really indicates that, for all intents and purposes Batman defeated Darkseid in a fight.
    But if Batman hadn't ran away his armor would have fallen apart. Yeah, he knocked Darkseid down, which is pretty crazy, but I don't see how that's a victory considering the state Bruce was left in afterwards.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Whether you liked this arc or not (personally, I thought it was some of the worst fan-fic I've read from DC in a looooong time) I do find it surprising that editorial allowed Batman to job Darkseid almost literally on the same day they announce the Darkseid War as their big crossover next summer. I mean talk about letting some steam out of your supposed 'biggest, baddest villain"

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I feel like this Batman is from the old 52, the one with the indomitable that cannot and will not give up that's why he beat Darkseid. This theory holds if you take this as part of Morrison's bat-opus, if Bruce was lost in time because of Final Crisis of course the JL would make him a nigh-indestructible suit, and I think that's how we are supposed to read this, why else would they reference Final Crisis in Robin Rises Omega?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Whether you liked this arc or not (personally, I thought it was some of the worst fan-fic I've read from DC in a looooong time) I do find it surprising that editorial allowed Batman to job Darkseid almost literally on the same day they announce the Darkseid War as their big crossover next summer. I mean talk about letting some steam out of your supposed 'biggest, baddest villain"
    They also let Mr. Miracle deflect his Omega beams (with Mr. Terrific's tech) on the exact same day in another title. Right now Darkseid is less of a god than a couple of smart humans.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    Bruce won because he was fueled by something that Darkseid has never felt: the love for his son.
    tbh, that is what makes the storyline jarring for me. In the backdrop of this obsessive quest done out of "love for his son", there stands Jason Todd. Jason is no where near my favorite Robin, yet these scenes make me feel awkward for him. Not to mention this mission takes place after the "death" of another adopted son [Dick]. I don't know... the scenes themselves with Damian reviving in Bruce's arms are wonderfully penned. Its a beautiful moment, no one can argue that. However, this whole effort is still awkwardly written against the known history and present situation of the Bat-family.

It just tells me that Damian should've have never been killed off. The excuses made in support of that decision were weak to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by sidekick77 View Post
    It just tells me that Damian should've have never been killed off.
    I feel more like he just should have been left dead and we should have gotten a new Robin as it seemed was intended initially.

His death was certainly a better story than his revival.

I dont know why people are being so critical about this, I really loved this issue.
    could had been better, probably, but I thought it was very damn good for what it was.
    writingwise it was ok but characterwise was excellent.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    I dont know why people are being so critical about this, I really loved this issue.
    could had been better, probably, but I thought it was very damn good for what it was.
    writingwise it was ok but characterwise was excellent.
    It was not terrible and had some good character moments, buuuuuutttt the reason I'm complaining is that you could have done the same thing w/o downgrading what's supposed to be your biggest bad. They could have had Darkseid just wake up as they Boom Tube away. But having a mortal with Kung-fu training get into a brawl with a supposed God and a being that is supposed to be the big threat against the entire group of Earth heroes next year is absurd. I get it, it's comic books, but there has to be some kind of logical consistency or the fictional becomes farce

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    It was not terrible and had some good character moments, buuuuuutttt the reason I'm complaining is that you could have done the same thing w/o downgrading what's supposed to be your biggest bad. They could have had Darkseid just wake up as they Boom Tube away. But having a mortal with Kung-fu training get into a brawl with a supposed God and a being that is supposed to be the big threat against the entire group of Earth heroes next year is absurd. I get it, it's comic books, but there has to be some kind of logical consistency or the fictional becomes farce
    The premise was horrible, and just proves to me that any story with Ras is going to be bad. You're right that Batman and Darkseid had some good character moments. The Batgirl, Cyborg, and Red Hood moments were awful. Red Robin didn't have any lines but he did lift and carry Cyborg (which I guess means he has Super Powers like Damian now). I like Tomasi but this story has been off the rails since the Batman & _____ gimmick began.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.