Page 64 of 118 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Gar is fine.
    The problem is that they don't do anything with him.
    He and Conner are the only ones not filled with angst and bitterness, have the most impressive powers but they aren't doing anything with it.
    Last edited by Bloxer; 11-05-2019 at 07:17 PM.

So...when will the Titans do any actual superheroing on this show? All they do is split up and then get back together to split up again.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    So...when will the Titans do any actual superheroing on this show? All they do is split up and then get back together to split up again.
    That and as I said before, things, the characters, story feel disconnected as hell. Really hoping they fix that.

https://youtu.be/U-kyNkSWlfo - my issue with things

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Why did this latest episode feel like such filler? I don't find myself being interested in Dick's arc. I don't care about him being in prison or any of that. I'm sorry, but his character is just overly dramatic and unlikable and selfish.

spoilers:
    Likewise him choosing to save the prisoners at the end was just predictable, but I did really like the Alazul thing. Kinda cool way to reintroduce the Nightwing persona
    end of spoilers

Likewise Rachel's story is just too much teen melodrama for me. I don't care for it. And why didn't Donna call Kory to help her find Rachel? They've worked together before and Kory loves that girl. This show needs to stop treating her like a child.

At least Hank and Dawn weren't in it. They have by far the most boring story in this entire show. I also didn't get the point of showing Mercy's family life if they wasn't going to be any payoff for that attempt at humanising her in this episode. The character (and actress - seriously she's fantastic) is great at being manipulative and conniving. The other stuff is not useful. Conner and Krypto remain being the best elements of this show. Gar had a bit more screen time, but I don't care to see him do martial arts. I know Ryan Potter is like a blackbelt or something but come on now, he legit fights as good as Jason or Dick and that shouldn't even be possible.

This season started off really strong and it's doing some things a bit better (acting has been a big improvement), but it has probably gotten worse than the first season. The story is all over the place. What happened to the fact that Jason has PTSD and is suicidal? What happened to Rose's whole deal with her dad? What happened to the fact that Deathstroke is hunting and haunting them (for goodness sake, Dick thought Deathstroke was in the house in the 'Bruce Wayne' episode and he left Gar alone there!)?

And another thing: the world of this show doesn't feel lived in. Deathstroke killed an Atlantean. No response from Atlantis. He also killed Amazons. No response from Themyscira. Connner--who can move at superhuman speeds, has super strength and can shoot heat beams from his eyes--is shown doing all of this to police officers on video and yet no response from Batman (who Gar has been calling), Superman or the League. It's frustrating to watch.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

The fact that Dick was convinced Deathstroke was in the tower yet left Gar alone to watch the super clone of mass destruction anyway is honestly kind of hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Why did this latest episode feel like such filler? I don't find myself being interested in Dick's arc. I don't care about him being in prison or any of that. I'm sorry, but his character is just overly dramatic and unlikable and selfish.

spoilers:
    Likewise him choosing to save the prisoners at the end was just predictable, but I did really like the Alazul thing. Kinda cool way to reintroduce the Nightwing persona
    end of spoilers
    How did you get him being unlikable and selfish after that?

Likewise Rachel's story is just too much teen melodrama for me. I don't care for it. And why didn't Donna call Kory to help her find Rachel? They've worked together before and Kory loves that girl. This show needs to stop treating her like a child.
    She probably did but Kory is likely off the grid now that she's trying to avoid her sister.

I also didn't get the point of showing Mercy's family life if they wasn't going to be any payoff for that attempt at humanising her in this episode.
    It's not something that necessarily requires payoff. It's just something to humanize her.

The story is all over the place. What happened to the fact that Jason has PTSD and is suicidal?
    Nothing. It just isn't relevant to the story at the moment. It might be addressed again but they don't need to repeatedly talk about every plot point in every episode.

What happened to Rose's whole deal with her dad?
    Again, just because this episode didn't bring it up doesn't mean it won't be addressed later.

What happened to the fact that Deathstroke is hunting and haunting them
    Did you miss an episode? Because the previous one had Slade tell Dick that he was willing to drop the feud with the Titans so long as Dick never reformed them.

And another thing: the world of this show doesn't feel lived in. Deathstroke killed an Atlantean. No response from Atlantis. He also killed Amazons. No response from Themyscira. Connner--who can move at superhuman speeds, has super strength and can shoot heat beams from his eyes--is shown doing all of this to police officers on video and yet no response from Batman (who Gar has been calling), Superman or the League. It's frustrating to watch.
    That's pretty much how it is when it comes to superhero universes. Sometimes things that certain characters should know about are ignored or unknown by them.

It's like the writers of this show completely forgot everything that happened in that Bruce Wayne episode or they're choosing to ignore it.

I mean come on, the Titans almost made Jason kill himself (which was already dickish on their part - he had almost died!). None of them even went to check on him during that moment. And that has been completely dropped. Honestly why? It was interesting. It was the kind of drama I wanted. But everything goes back to being the Dick Grayson Show. All these characters have such potential and it keeps getting sidelined.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How did you get him being unlikable and selfish after that?

She probably did but Kory is likely off the grid now that she's trying to avoid her sister.

It's not something that necessarily requires payoff. It's just something to humanize her.

Nothing. It just isn't relevant to the story at the moment. It might be addressed again but they don't need to repeatedly talk about every plot point in every episode.

Again, just because this episode didn't bring it up doesn't mean it won't be addressed later.

Did you miss an episode? Because the previous one had Slade tell Dick that he was willing to drop the feud with the Titans so long as Dick never reformed them.

That's pretty much how it is when it comes to superhero universes. Sometimes things that certain characters should know about are ignored or unknown by them.
    1. What exactly is likable about Dick's character? He constantly switches back and forth between what he feels and what he must do. He constantly lies to people. He has over dramatic reactions to things (to be fair, so do many characters in this show), and won't talk to people about his problems. He's an unlikable protagonist. And as I pointed out earlier, he left Gar alone with responsibilities he couldn't handle and in a place he believed was unsafe.

2. Then show it! This just excuses lazy writing. Good writing doesn't leave the audience to assume things (unless it is an intentionally ambiguous ending that plays into the narrative themes of the work). It explores the possible options and answers them. Donna calling Kory was the smart thing to do in-character. She's friends with her, she knows Kory cares about Rachel and Dick rarely comes to anyone's aid (and he had just revealed he lied to her again).

3. I said it attempted to humanise her, because it was a poor attempt at doing so. Mercy (willingly) works for one of the most evil men in the world (something she admitted herself). Her having what looks like a normal marriage and family in the 21st Century does not humanise her at all. It comes off as pointless. The intent was clear but the execution was poor. Instead of showing her having a family that acts that normal and nonchalant (seriously, her wife and daughter both look happy that they don't get to spend time with her), why not instead show that her family resents her for always working? Her wife feels lonely and the pressure of taking care of two kids is getting to her, her daughters aren't as close to her because of it, and the one attempt she tries to spend time with them isn't reciprocated and she has to work again. You know what that does? Actually humanises her and allows her to better understand Eve, and provides an opportunity to show a new angle as to why she works for Luthor (i.e. being forced to) and why she's so ruthless and seemingly heartless. But that's writing to good for Titans I guess.

4 and 5. Again, bad writing being excused. You just don't make a character suicidal and then ignore it three episodes later. That kills the momentum of that plot point. Saving Jason was so important that Dick had to spill his biggest secret. If anything, Jason shouldn't have left. Dick opened up to him about a matter that didn't really concern him. And considering the real truth wasn't that Dick murdered Jericho but that Slade killed him by accident makes that reaction even the more forced and unrealistic. Likewise the same with Rose. It's been ten (ten!) episodes and what do we even know about Rose? Almost nothing aside from that she is Slade's daughter and dances weird. We should have known a whole lot more about her by now.

6. The Titans don't know Slade agreed to stop hunting them. Only Dick does. And he didn't tell them that. You know what? That should have been the reason why the split up, not because of that lie. But it's beyond obvious the writers of the show don't know what to do with the Titans when they're together, because they keep separating them.

7. This never stopped Young Justice. That show was primarily about the young superheroes of the DC world and yet it never shied away from using the bigger, older superheroes when they needed to be seen. Saying "that's just how it works" is excusing lazy writing. The Arrowverse shows also never had this problem. Hell, neither does Doom Patrol!
    Last edited by Blind Wedjat; 11-09-2019 at 01:09 PM.

1. What exactly is likable about Dick's character? He constantly switches back and forth between what he feels and what he must do. He constantly lies to people. He has over dramatic reactions to things (to be fair, so do many characters in this show), and won't talk to people about his problems. He's an unlikable protagonist. And as I pointed out earlier, he left Gar alone with responsibilities he couldn't handle and in a place he believed was unsafe.
    You just described virtually every superhero ever.

2. Then show it! This just excuses lazy writing. Good writing doesn't leave the audience to assume things (unless it is an intentionally ambiguous ending that plays into the narrative themes of the work). It explores the possible options and answers them. Donna calling Kory was the smart thing to do in-character. She's friends with her, she knows Kory cares about Rachel and Dick rarely comes to anyone's aid (and he had just revealed he lied to her again).
    Not every decision you don't like is lazy writing. Given what we saw of Kory in the last episode, it isn't a stretch to assume she isn't available. Also, Donna is more familiar with Dick than with Kory and let's not forget that Kory was originally on Earth to kill Rachel.

3 and 4. Again, bad writing being excused. You just don't make a character suicidal and then ignore it three episodes later. That kills the momentum of that plot point.
    Young Justice which you mention below did the same thing. Some times for longer than three episodes.

Saving Jason was so important that Dick had to spill his biggest secret. If anything, Jason shouldn't have left.
    Why should he have stayed? You talk about how terrible a person Dick is for keeping secrets yet when characters react to him as you are you call them melodramatic.
    Dick opened up to him about a matter that didn't really concern him. And considering the real truth wasn't that Dick murdered Jericho but that Slade killed him by accident makes that reaction even the more forced and unrealistic.
    Again, you can't complain about how unlikable Dick is yet call the decision of the others to leave forced and unrealistic.

Likewise the same with Rose. It's been ten (ten!) episodes and what do we even know about Rose? Almost nothing aside from that she is Slade's daughter and dances weird. We should have known a whole lot more about her by now.
    Like what?
    5. The Titans don't know Slade agreed to stop hunting them. Only Dick does. And he didn't tell them that. You know what? That should have been the reason why the split up, not because of that lie. But it's beyond obvious the writers of the show don't know what to do with the Titans when they're together, because they keep separating them.
    They now know he's hunting them because of his son's death. And they want nothing to do with him or Dick.

6. This never stopped Young Justice. That show was primarily about the young superheroes of the DC world and yet it never shied away from using the bigger, older superheroes when they needed to be seen. Saying "that's just how it works" is excusing lazy writing.
    Young Justice is less of a teen superhero show and more of a focus on the larger DCU. Titans is a bit more focused on the team.

I like what they are doing with Dicks inspiration to become Nightwing.

Gar is still unlikable though for me. Did he say he once killed a guy by clawing him to death?cause I'm pretty sure he Ate a guy last season.

Young Justice is less of a teen superhero show and more of a focus on the larger DCU. Titans is a bit more focused on the team.
    It's a teen/young adult Superhero show set in a larger DCU, which is why it's character focus is as expansive as it is.

3. I said it attempted to humanise her, because it was a poor attempt at doing so. Mercy (willingly) works for one of the most evil men in the world (something she admitted herself). Her having what looks like a normal marriage and family in the 21st Century does not humanise her at all. It comes off as pointless. The intent was clear but the execution was poor. Instead of showing her having a family that acts that normal and nonchalant (seriously, her wife and daughter both look happy that they don't get to spend time with her), why not instead show that her family resents her for always working? Her wife feels lonely and the pressure of taking care of two kids is getting to her, her daughters aren't as close to her because of it, and the one attempt she tries to spend time with them isn't reciprocated and she has to work again. You know what that does? Actually humanises her and allows her to better understand Eve, and provides an opportunity to show a new angle as to why she works for Luthor (i.e. being forced to) and why she's so ruthless and seemingly heartless. But that's writing to good for Titans I guess.

4 and 5. Again, bad writing being excused. You just don't make a character suicidal and then ignore it three episodes later. That kills the momentum of that plot point. Saving Jason was so important that Dick had to spill his biggest secret. If anything, Jason shouldn't have left. Dick opened up to him about a matter that didn't really concern him. And considering the real truth wasn't that Dick murdered Jericho but that Slade killed him by accident makes that reaction even the more forced and unrealistic. Likewise the same with Rose. It's been ten (ten!) episodes and what do we even know about Rose? Almost nothing aside from that she is Slade's daughter and dances weird. We should have known a whole lot more about her by now.

6. The Titans don't know Slade agreed to stop hunting them. Only Dick does. And he didn't tell them that. You know what? That should have been the reason why the split up, not because of that lie. But it's beyond obvious the writers of the show don't know what to do with the Titans when they're together, because they keep separating them.

7. This never stopped Young Justice. That show was primarily about the young superheroes of the DC world and yet it never shied away from using the bigger, older superheroes when they needed to be seen. Saying "that's just how it works" is excusing lazy writing. The Arrowverse shows also never had this problem. Hell, neither does Doom Patrol!
    Stargirl is doing more world building going by cast and episode names.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I like what they are doing with Dicks inspiration to become Nightwing.

Gar is still unlikable though for me. Did he say he once killed a guy by clawing him to death?cause I'm pretty sure he Ate a guy last season.
    He did not eat him. If you look at the guy's body after Gar's attack it's still mostly intact. Gar never once said he ate anyone.

You just described virtually every superhero ever.

Not every decision you don't like is lazy writing. Given what we saw of Kory in the last episode, it isn't a stretch to assume she isn't available. Also, Donna is more familiar with Dick than with Kory and let's not forget that Kory was originally on Earth to kill Rachel.

Young Justice which you mention below did the same thing. Some times for longer than three episodes.

Why should he have stayed? You talk about how terrible a person Dick is for keeping secrets yet when characters react to him as you are you call them melodramatic.

Again, you can't complain about how unlikable Dick is yet call the decision of the others to leave forced and unrealistic.

Like what?

They now know he's hunting them because of his son's death. And they want nothing to do with him or Dick.

I'm sorry but I have to agree with Blind Wedjat. The last two episodes have been a massive turn for the worse. The writing in these episodes after a strong few has been pitiful.

You clearly watch other superhero shows with blinders on. None of what is described in the post you just replied to is done innother shows. In most what people/heros feel is linked to what they have to do. The only lies ever told are to those that don't know their ID to protect it, they are actually pretty open to those that do. Any plot point introduced is followed up on at least a little every episode (where it fits) until the plot point is closed.

None of this is happening in titans after episode 5. The writing from 6 onward (but especially in the last 2 episodes) is very sub par

He did not eat him. If you look at the guy's body after Gar's attack it's still mostly intact. Gar never once said he ate anyone.

I didnt mean he ate his entire body but that guy is dead and Gar is spitting out blood. So hes killed more then one guy. He made it sound like he clawed one guy to death and that was that. When we just saw him bite a dude to death. And If that guys meant to be alive that scene was badly directed. I guess that could be the time Gars is talking about but yea that was almost all bite and no claws.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 11-10-2019 at 12:12 AM.