Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023)

Should there be an all-purpose Shazam thread that encompasses Black Adam 1 and Shazam 2? Cause while they're different movies, they're in the same universe and the plan is for Black Adam 2 to essentially be Shazam 3.

I'll let the mods decide.

Meanwhile, same day we get a teaser for Black Adam, we get a teaser for Shazam! Fury of the Gods.

Observations:

Lucy Liu as one of the villains? YES.

Mary Marvel now has the same actress in both forms (reported previously elsewhere, I know, still cool to see in action a bit).

Freddy rocking the same haircut in both forms lol

So when are we getting Mr. Mind? Shazam 4? :/ Or maybe he's the one manipulating events for the future Shazam vs Black Adam showdown.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Not a lot of finished footage, which is to be expected, but what they showed here looked fantastic!
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Looks cool, although I'm not sure why they're battling Greek mythology instead of stuff from the actual Captain Marvel mythos.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Looks cool, although I'm not sure why they're battling Greek mythology instead of stuff from the actual Captain Marvel mythos.
    The Shazam powers come from the Greek Gods ( back in the Golden and Silver Ages Mary's powers came from Goddesses I forget if they were all Greek).

Ok, Solomon wasn't Greek but 5 out 6: isn't bad.

While the connection to Greek mythology for these characters isn't as strong as it is for Wonder Woman, it is there.

Besides if they already used Silvana and Black Adam is getting is own movie, that is pretty much it for the Shazam rogues gallery.
    Classic Marvel family spent most of thier time fighting Sivana and his family of evil geniuses. If you aren't using them...

Good luck trying to get Mr. Mind to work in live action. Ibac is a crappy version of Black Adam and Captain Nazi...

No point even going there...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    The Shazam powers come from the Greek Gods ( back in the Golden and Silver Ages Mary's powers came from Goddesses I forget if they were all Greek).

While the connection to Greek mythology for these characters isn't as strong as it is for Wonder Woman, it is there.

Besides if they already used Silvana and Black Adam is getting is own movie, that is pretty much it for the Shazam rogues gallery.
    Classic Marvel family spent most of thier time fighting Sivana and his family of evil geniuses. If you aren't using them...

Good luck trying to get Mr. Mind to work in live action. Ibac is a crappy version of Black Adam and Captain Nazi...

4, well, 4.5 out of 6. Achilles is Greek, but he wasn't a god.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

Yeah a cursory glance at the Marvel's family rogues gallery
    : mad scientists, Mr. Mind's lackeys, and villains with the same powers (say the name of an acronym that stands for gods/demons/famous men = get powers). That doesn't leave a lot to chose from that won't seem either silly or redundant.

However, Mr. Mind was already shown at the end of Shazam, voiced by the director himself, so he's coming at some point.

I'm guessing the third movie will be the Shazam Family and Black Adam teaming-up to fight Mr. Mind and the Monster Society.

I'm curious if they'll mention Wonder Woman at all in this.

Kind of wish they were following up on the Mr. Mind tease, unless he's the one behind the Gods coming in. Yeah, they could always use him in a third movie, but there's no guarantee of it getting a third movie so I'd hate to see the Mr. Mind stuff never come to fruition if it doesn't.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Kind of wish they were following up on the Mr. Mind tease, unless he's the one behind the Gods coming in. Yeah, they could always use him in a third movie, but there's no guarantee of it getting a third movie so I'd hate to see the Mr. Mind stuff never come to fruition if it doesn't.
    It is kind of weird that they had that post-credit tease, and then don't seem to be doing anything with it in the sequels. Especially when Mind talked about the Gods at the end.

I really just have to wonder how they came up with the threat in this movie. I guess they didn't have time to read Geoff Johns' new Shazam arc to base the sequel after and so they went completely original.

Keep in mind Sandberg is back as director, and he was the one who (IMO wonderfully) voiced Mr. Mind in the last movie. For all we know Mr. Mind is in fact the one manipulating all of this.

Just saying Sandberg staying in the director's chair makes Mr. Mind's return, even as a stinger, more likely, not less.

It is kind of weird that they had that post-credit tease, and then don't seem to be doing anything with it in the sequels. Especially when Mind talked about the Gods at the end.

I really just have to wonder how they came up with the threat in this movie. I guess they didn't have time to read Geoff Johns' new Shazam arc to base the sequel after and so they went completely original.
    I'm okay with the second film not following up on the tease as I'd much rather have another villain than Dr. Sivana again.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Keep in mind Sandberg is back as director, and he was the one who (IMO wonderfully) voiced Mr. Mind in the last movie. For all we know Mr. Mind is in fact the one manipulating all of this.

Just saying Sandberg staying in the director's chair makes Mr. Mind's return, even as a stinger, more likely, not less.
    Here's hoping .
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm okay with the second film not following up on the tease as I'd much rather have another villain than Dr. Sivana again.
    I hope next time we see Sivana he's not discount Black Adam again.

Here's hoping .

I hope next time we see Sivana he's not discount Black Adam again.
    Yeah, with the line about more ways to learn magic I'm thinking he'll be more closer to classic Sivana when we see him next.

Remember how the Henry Cavill cameo fell through last time? Well this time, we're getting Gal Gadot! Reportedly.

I thought the whole thing was they lowballed Cavill, and that was the only reason he said no. Maybe with Gadot (again, if true) they made a better deal with her to account for WW3 is waaayyy down the line (won't begin shooting till 2023!).

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Remember how the Henry Cavill cameo fell through last time? Well this time, we're getting Gal Gadot! Reportedly.

I thought the whole thing was they lowballed Cavill, and that was the only reason he said no. Maybe with Gadot (again, if true) they made a better deal with her to account for WW3 is waaayyy down the line (won't begin shooting till 2023!).
    It would make sense if only because the villains they're fighting make it more relevant to Wonder Woman than, like, the actual Captain Marvel/Shazam mythos.