Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The ideal characterization(s)

of a character. doesn't have to be your favorite character. doesn't have to be a comic book portrayal. for some people, the cinematic versions are better. but what are your personal preferences? x-characters welcome.

ex. i now see Chris Hemworth's portrayal (specifically the Ragnarok and/or Infinity War version) of Thor as the standard. he's the most likable version, imo.

I disagree.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

My ideal characterization of Spider-Man/Peter Parker is an intelligent, determined young adult whose mind is as quick and sharp as the witticisms he fires off to unsettle and imbalance his foes and playfully tease his allies/friends, enabling him to persevere through the most difficult of circumstances and battles through a combination of resourcefulness, sheer grit, and a kind heart that drives him to help others whenever and wherever he can, even if it's to his own detriment.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    I disagree.
    you disagree with what?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    My ideal characterization of Spider-Man/Peter Parker is an intelligent, determined young adult whose mind is as quick and sharp as the witticisms he fires off to unsettle and imbalance his foes and playfully tease his allies/friends, enabling him to persevere through the most difficult of circumstances and battles through a combination of resourcefulness, sheer grit, and a kind heart that drives him to help others whenever and wherever he can, even if it's to his own detriment.
    what writer gave you the closest version of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    what writer gave you the closest version of that?
    J.M. DeMatteis, Peter David, J. Michael Straczynski, even Mark Millar when he did Marvel Knights Spider-Man, and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa. Maybe Christopher Yost in the brief times he wrote Spider-Man, or even Christos Gage. Tom DeFalco, too, I must say. Oh, and John Semper, Jr. when he was doing the 90s animated series, which is still my go-to when it comes to Spider-Man's voice and characterization.

Sue Storm - Marvel Knights by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, that run even has my favorite way she is drawn which is by Steve McNiven. So that run is basically my definitive version of the character in almost all aspects.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Rick Remender's Deadpool - dangerous, witty, strangely having a big heart, NOT clumsy or ridiculously goofy. Duggan's version comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Sue Storm - Marvel Knights by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, that run even has my favorite way she is drawn which is by Steve McNiven. So that run is basically my definitive version of the character in almost all aspects.
    if it's what I'm thinking of, that was my favorite as well. I loved (at least) the idea of her being a teacher. it felt natural. and McNiven's version is who I picture in my head as definitive Sue.

J.M. DeMatteis, Peter David, J. Michael Straczynski, even Mark Millar when he did Marvel Knights Spider-Man, and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa. Maybe Christopher Yost in the brief times he wrote Spider-Man, or even Christos Gage. Tom DeFalco, too, I must say. Oh, and John Semper, Jr. when he was doing the 90s animated series, which is still my go-to when it comes to Spider-Man's voice and characterization.
    what if you had to pick one?

what if you had to pick one?
    What if I had to pick one? I'd go with John Semper, Jr. and his writing of Spider-Man in the 90s animated series.

What if I had to pick one? I'd go with John Semper, Jr. and his writing of Spider-Man in the 90s animated series.
    ok, I can see that. I watched that show. was it the humor or something else about animated Peter that makes it idealic?

ok, I can see that. I watched that show. was it the humor or something else about animated Peter that makes it idealic?
    Not just the humor, but the way Peter's overall personality was depicted in both his identities.

The only one's that I see as definitive are:

Spider-man- JMS run was perfect characterization to me up until editorial mandate made him completely change Peter, up until that point I think that was the I see Peter as a character

Daredevil- Charlie Cox's portrayal is perfect in my opinion.

Captain America- Chris Evans Portrayal in the MCU

Fantastic Four- Hickman's run - think he really got the voice of all the characters perfectly

Punisher- Joe Bernthal's portrayal

Magneto- Cullen bunn's run on the book, is how i see magneto now.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Spectacular Member

I really like Ton Holland's Spiderman he's witty with out being obnoxious.

Hemsworth is Thor now he turned a blind character into a great character.

But RDJ is the clear winner