Page 19 of 440 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Why can’t she be used and die again? It is a reboot universe in the sorts.
    That is one of the things I found most puzzling about 52. What was the point of jettisoning all of your history and only to retell the very same stories but without the context, heft, and verve? Both Mayer and Spears died in impactful, dramatic stories the magic of which coul not likely be recaptured. I agree with the poster who suugested having them brought up occasionally similar to the way Rucka and Messner-loebs brought up Diana Trevor

Agreed. Some of the most interesting characters hasn't been using for a while and it would be nice to see them. I mean we seen Zara but no one has used her. We have Blue Snowman but no one has used her. We have a lot of villians we haven't seen and no one has used them.

https://thenib.com/what-does-wonder-...sent?t=default

Diana is still keeping her feminist roots.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 03-02-2019 at 10:43 PM.

What do you guys think about using both the roman names and greek names for the gods? I mean Diana got her name from Aretmis's roman name

Wouldn't it make sense for Artemis to be named that? I mean Greek and Egyptian cultures did wind up sharing some names. Take Isis for example, that's not her Egyptian name.Which is Aset

Do you guys think Myndi should be brought back?
    Myndi should absolutely be brought back. She's a great character.

I don't think having a new version of her would harm my enjoyment of her initial tragic tale - which was quite powerful to me at the time.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

What do you guys think about using both the roman names and greek names for the gods? I mean Diana got her name from Aretmis's roman name
    I prefer it. it keeps things simpler. By the time Hippolyta sculpts Diana from clay, the Amazons should be aware that the Gods have other names, and she'd go with the Roman name. It's breezier than adding Diana Trevor into the story.

Maybe Hippolyta liked the Diana version better. The two names could also have some different names. I mean one origin of Artemis's name means butcher. While Diana means "heavenly, divine" I'm curious Hercules is generally the reason why they are at Paradise Island but would it be wrong for it to be turn to Ares? That Ares wanted the Amazons since they were one of the best warriors?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 03-04-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Free her from the reigns of Greek mythology and have her just be a character steeped in it in general akin to Hellboy. Nothing's wrong with her originating from that pantheon, but there's a lot of magnificent folklore that could be mined for potential narratives and I'm sick to death of minotaurs and medusas.

Amazing Member

Maybe Hippolyta liked the Diana version better. (...)
    Actually, it's much simpler IMHO. In ancient Greece, it was considered unlucky to give your child the name of a god. (That was hubris, and the gods would either punish the child, or the parents for that insolence.) So it's easy to see that Hippolyta names her child 'Diana' instead of Artemis, and the Bana warrior is named 'Artemis' instead of... whatever the equivalent in the Egyptian pantheon would be (Bastet? Sachmet?)

I'm curious do you guys think the 60s comic series would make a good animated movie? I fit does well they should also do one based on the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman comic series and tv show
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 03-07-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I’m curious what the 60s Wonder Woman series make a cheesy in the good way animated movie? I mean if they could do it with Adam west why not Diana. The next would be Lynda Carter based on the comic series
    This would be a freakin' dream come true, personally.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Wasn't there a lot of crossover between Greeks and Egyptians? Like, the Egyptians had their own third-party account of the Trojan War, and the Greeks believed Osiris to be another incarnation of Dionysus.

Why is DC actually making a original Diana animated movie. When they have great arcs they can adapted.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Wasn't there a lot of crossover between Greeks and Egyptians? Like, the Egyptians had their own third-party account of the Trojan War, and the Greeks believed Osiris to be another incarnation of Dionysus.
    We know that there were intensive contacts all over the Mediterranean, so the Egyptians having records of the Trojan War doesn't strike me as implausible at all (though note that very much about the Trojan War is shrouded by history). Surviving records seems to imply the Egyptians being aware of the war, but can't tell much more.

It was very common for the polytheistic religions to associate the gods of another pantheon with gods of their own, either as being another name for their own god or as being similar to their own gods. And then you have the Greek period of Egypt (the Ptolemaic Kingdom), but that probably came later than the periods you are thinking of.

That said, as I understand it the Greek and the Egyptian pantheons and myths were built on dissimilar lines, and not from a shared root. They did however both influence each other, and developed in societies dominated by agriculture, leading to plenty of similarities and shared influences.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

BANNED

DC disregards for Wonder Woman and her Proteges in Donna and Cassie. Why can't we have a Wonder Women adventure with the 3 of them together for once DC ?