Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Default Should Marvel have rebooted after Hickman's Secret Wars?

I've got to be honest I thought Marvel was going full on reboot for the first time ever after 2015's Secret Wars, do you think Marvel should have? If so what would of been your ongoing titles for the reboot and who would of been your creative teams?

I was and am against a total reboot. DC realized it's recent reboot was a mistake and is just now rectifying it with Rebirth.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Not a reboot as such, but I think it would be have been ideal for Marvel to have a setup where they could both encourage new readers and long time fans, as well as have areas sticking to classicish continunity and another to tell more radical storylines. This is why I felt a logical move would have been to keep Battleworld in play and not destroyed, with most of the classic heroes and some Ultimate heroes going to the new Earth whilst the rest remain on Battleworld. The Earth titles would be mostly new reader friendly and maintain traditional concepts with new additions like Kamala, whilst on Battleworld Marvel could continue to tell stories with some of the domains there and a greater amount of continuity flexibility.

i think they never should have told secret wars in the first place after seeing how the company has been run since it finished.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

No I think no matter what a reboot will never be a good idea for marvel matter of fact it's a terrible idea.

That should never ever be an option or even considered.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I wouldn't necessarily say a reboot but I do think they could've gone in a different direction that might've been a bit better than what we got. At least IMO.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Yes.

I thought this was the plan, given the trajectory of all of its hallmark characters into character death and/or actual death. Just a bunch of faceless shades of gray talking down to one another while making bad decisions.

But, Marvel kept finding new ways to create PR stunts while shackling and/or scaring off their creators.

Rip it up and start again.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

There's a cynical side of me which is thinking that Marvel is creating such confusion and conflicting messages with these yearly relaunches just so that WE, not them, will demand a full reboot so things make sense finally, just so that they can say we were the ones who asked for a reboot and it wasn't something they forced on us for the sake of it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    There's a cynical side of me which is thinking that Marvel is creating such confusion and conflicting messages with these yearly relaunches just so that WE, not them, will demand a full reboot so things make sense finally, just so that they can say we were the ones who asked for a reboot and it wasn't something they forced on us for the sake of it.

I expected it

Didn't really feel it needed it but a streamlining was what I wanted

I'm not in favour of one but I think it might be the only way to restore their mythos since I feel it's broken beyond repair almost

If they did I would want a mix of the old and new characters but in a clear setup and secure mythology which I feel they hugely lack now

And imo it would let them fix their older characters which imo they have damaged hugely
    Last edited by kilderkin; 06-27-2017 at 01:52 PM.

I thought Secret Wars 2015 was a soft reboot (I know it was marketed as "it's whatever you want it to be. If you want it to be a reboot, it is, or vice versa").

Now, should Marvel have rebooted hard at Secret Wars? If they were going to do a hard reboot, I think that was the time to do it. Me personally, I probably would only touch a rebooted 616 Marvel title now, but if other readers want 616 to continue, modified or otherwise, I think they made the right call.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

What is a "soft reboot"?

No, 616, Ultimate, and Spider-Gwen's universe should have been put back to the way it was before the war and nobody should have remembered it because its a Secret

Niffleheim

I would have been done with Marvel if they had rebooted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    No, 616, Ultimate, and Spider-Gwen's universe should have been put back to the way it was before the war and nobody should have remembered it because its a Secret
    Now this i would have been ok with

Nah, marvel will f*ck the classics over even more if they make a reboot. Moongirl a founding avenger

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    I've got to be honest I thought Marvel was going full on reboot for the first time ever after 2015's Secret Wars, do you think Marvel should have? If so what would of been your ongoing titles for the reboot and who would of been your creative teams?
    Yes. Marvel continuity has become a swiss cheese Charlie Foxtrot. Which largely defeats the purpose of having continuity.

As for my titles (no, in no way are these creative teams realistic):

Avengers by Kurt Busiek & Bryan Hitch
    Blade by Ann Nocenti & Steve Lightle
    Captain America by Mark Waid & Jim Lee
    Captain Marvel by Chris Claremont & Colleen Doran
    Daredevil by Greg Rucka & Sean Phillips
    Deadpool by Dan Slott & Mike Allred
    Doctor Strange by Grant Morrison & Chris Bachalo
    Fantastic Four by Grant Morrison & Jose Ladronn
    Guardians of the Galaxy by Matt Fraction & Jason Pearson
    Hulk by Peter David & Dale Keown
    Iron Man by Joe Casey & Joe Quesada