Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast
    Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Matrik View Post
    Lol it will amuse me to think if a new teenage grasshopper debuts for five minutes before he is swamped by the cradle operatives leading to a mishap causing his demise in keeping with his theme of dying shortly after debuting.
    the new law can put constraints in the creation of new young characters but a good writer can also use it to his/her advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder how much of this we'll see covered in the actual books. I guess they would at least have to address GIRL since Nadia is a current team member.
    Ghost-Spider #10 in May is an Outlawed tie-in (#8 should've been as well, since the events of Outlawed got mentioned in there). I wonder if CRADLE does raid ESU, and she decides to leave as a result feeling it's no longer safe on 616. That would explain why her book isn't solicited for June, since that would end the premise of the current run.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    My point is more this....You have a superpowered person under 21 who has no intention of being a super hero...but while in the bank with their parent bank robbers show up. This super powered individual uses their power to stop the crime...but has no intention of continuing super powered vigilantism...this was a one time thing only because his/her life was in danger. Should this qualify as a violation of the law or just a one off instance that the law is willing to say "this thing happened and it is over and this person can go about his/her life."

As far as the NW backing it...I agree...they should stay out of enforcing it...but should be involved in mentoring those this law affects.
    Good point earlier, although considering that in the original Civil War, just being a good Samaritan was enough to put a superpowered person in the government's crosshairs . . . well, I'm hoping Eve Ewing gives this version the nuance it deserves.

I did appreciate that Miles was at least willing to admit that they did screw up on their end. I think Eve Ewing might be trying to point him as the reasonable counterpoint in all this judging by his reaction to Kamala's speech in the previews for the relaunch.

This isn't a hard ban on teen vigilante's. They can still operate and be heroes, they just need to have adult supervision and backing of an adult hero.

Which the teens will probably bristle under because they want to be independent, and CRADLE's methods might be shady too going by recent solicits.

The New Warriors know how badly something like this can spiral out of control, and they probably see ways to work within the law to make sure kids can still be heroes without having to become fugitives to do it.

I wonder how much of this we'll see covered in the actual books. I guess they would at least have to address GIRL since Nadia is a current team member.
    Yeah, they know they screwed up. The issue is that the government is using it as an excuse to pass sweeping laws targeting all young superheroes, and as Nova pointed out, there's a certain level of hypocrisy in being more concerned about teenagers taking the fight for the future into their own hands when the adults who appointed themselves as the protectors and shepherds of those teenagers have utterly dropped the ball in said protection and shepherding. And yes, I can see the New Warriors coming to that conclusion of trying to ameliorate the situation from inside. Still doesn't sit well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrik View Post
    Lol it will amuse me to think if a new teenage grasshopper debuts for five minutes before he is swamped by the cradle operatives leading to a mishap causing his demise in keeping with his theme of dying shortly after debuting.
    Maybe they make him look more like the original Kamen Rider, since the original Kamen Rider was based on a grasshopper and that show is legally streaming for the West for the first time as of this past Tuesday.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, they know they screwed up. The issue is that the government is using it as an excuse to pass sweeping laws targeting all young superheroes, and as Nova pointed out, there's a certain level of hypocrisy in being more concerned about teenagers taking the fight for the future into their own hands when the adults who appointed themselves as the protectors and shepherds of those teenagers have utterly dropped the ball in said protection and shepherding. And yes, I can see the New Warriors coming to that conclusion of trying to ameliorate the situation from inside. Still doesn't sit well with me.
    One could argue this law is forcing their hands into being the kind of protectors and guardians they morally should've been from the start.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

One could argue this law is forcing their hands into being the kind of protectors and guardians they morally should've been from the start.
    Actually a good argument, but this is the government, especially the government in the Marvel Universe, we're talking about. It's all B.S. to make themselves feel --- or more importantly, look --- better.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Actually a good argument, but this is the government, especially the government in the Marvel Universe, we're talking about. It's all B.S. to make themselves feel --- or more importantly, look --- better.
    I mean...maybe? I'm not sure what's going through that redheaded senator's brain at the moment.

BANNED

this law is making it harder to be a hero, seeding doubt, and makings worse, which would also affect their performance if they're fighting cradle agents and hiding out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    this law is making it harder to be a hero, seeding doubt, and makings worse, which would also affect their performance if they're fighting cradle agents and hiding out.
    I was talking strictly about the adult heroes. This is definitely more pertinent for the younger heroes.

BANNED

I was talking strictly about the adult heroes. This is definitely more pertinent for the younger heroes.
    It's making it harder for the adult heroes too now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    It's making it harder for the adult heroes too now though.
    How though? From interviews it sounds like the adult heroes are washing their hands of this aside from those who are helping to apprehend younger heroes...but it doesn't seem like that many are actively doing it aside from the New Warriors and the former SHIELD agents.

I guess it could sow distrust between the adult and younger hero community, but were they ever really all that close to begin with?

I mean...maybe? I'm not sure what's going through that redheaded senator's brain at the moment.
    He's got to be evil right? His entire stance makes no sense otherwise.

Here's the thing; this law is not inherently sinister. I know the idea of teenage superheroes needing training and supervision seems like a buzz kill for some people, but there is a reason there are age restrictions on who can drink and drive. Most teenagers can't be trusted with money, let alone powers that can kill en masse.

But this is the Marvel Universe which frequently spits on the idea of superhero accountability no matter how reasonable that idea is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    He's got to be evil right? His entire stance makes no sense otherwise.
    Unless he cares about keeping kids safe?

I mean, he might turn out to be evil but it really depends on what direction Eve Ewing goes with this story. She's said in interviews it's not going to be black and white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Here's the thing; this law is not inherently sinister. I know the idea of teenage superheroes needing training and supervision seems like a buzz kill for some people, but there is a reason there are age restrictions on who can drink and drive. Most teenagers can't be trusted with money, let alone powers that can kill en masse.

But this is the Marvel Universe which frequently spits on the idea of superhero accountability no matter how reasonable that idea is.
    And it seems like this story is going to actively explore that conceptually.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Not to mention military and law enforcement. Age for military is 18...when you are legally an adult. LE is generally 21 and requires a college degree.

As I have said before...by real world standards...this law makes perfect sense.

Unless he cares about keeping kids safe?

I mean, he might turn out to be evil but it really depends on what direction Eve Ewing goes with this story. She's said in interviews it's not going to be black and white.

And it seems like this story is going to actively explore that conceptually.
    I guess I'm just leaning more towards Sam's standpoint of there are many other things endangering children but they want to obstruct the people most capable of helping themselves. Not to mention the impetus of this is law is vastly overblown, it made sense during the first Civil War because hundreds of people died the current situation doesn't equal that at all. This incident was no worse than any other superhero confrontation, so why are these actions really needed? If these were adult heroes in this situation would this be happening? It's like Miles said they haven't made anymore mistakes than any other heroes have and if we're being honest they've made far less.