Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

ROS budget was about $275 million, so it will probably start to turn a profit at 500 to 600 million.

We also have to remember how notorious Studios are at under reporting net profits. Their whole accounting structure is designed for movies to not show any profits.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    ROS budget was about $275 million, so it will probably start to turn a profit at 500 to 600 million.

We also have to remember how notorious Studios are at under reporting net profits. Their whole accounting structure is designed for movies to not show any profits.
    Really? When I did a search yesterday all I could find was they didn’t know and the previous one was $317 million. Is that an estimate for ROS because I find it hard to believe the budget went down so much.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Really? When I did a search yesterday all I could find was they didn’t know and the previous one was $317 million. Is that an estimate for ROS because I find it hard to believe the budget went down so much.
    I think 275 was the original budget but most sites I've come across have the production budget of over 300 million or they didn't know but considering that Disney reportedly ordered reshoots after the first test screenings that probably is what caused the 300+ million to come into play which makes sense and isn't too far fetched. Adding on marketing costs probably doubled the costs at the least.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 12-23-2019 at 10:10 AM.

BANNED

Bombshell bombing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Bombshell bombing.
    A bigger news is an R Rated superhero movie is going to outgross a star wars film.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    A bigger news is an R Rated superhero movie is going to outgross a star wars film.
    You think the last Star Wars movie isn't going to hit a billion plus? Do you not see the next three weeks

Dec 27 Little Women, Spies in Disguise, Just Mercy, IP Man 4
    Jan 3 The Grudge
    Jan 10 I spy, Like a Boss, Underwater
    Jan 17 Bad Boys 3, Dr Dolittle

Just a little perspective Joker opened at Global 234 million ,Star Wars has already 376 million worldwide. This is just a example show that film starting lower than what Star Wars did still made a billion. Going into a Holiday weekend with no competition other than Jumanji 2. Star Wars will probably outgross Joker it has 3 weeks of uncontested prime time slot when people are looking to spend movie watch movies and children are out from school. But Joker will have definitely a better profit margin not Gross.

Oh yeah Star Wars B+ cinemascore, 86% audience on Rotten Tomatoes, 50/50 split on Metacritic, 7 out of 10 user rating in IDMB so audience is reacting fairly positive to it.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-24-2019 at 02:55 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Oh yeah Star Wars B+ cinemascore, 86% audience on Rotten Tomatoes, 50/50 split on Metacritic, 7 out of 10 user rating in IDMB so audience is reacting fairly positive to it.
    You need to get out more, the verdict is in and audiences think that TROS sucks. Even the most ardent supporters of Disney's Star Wars are now abandoning the franchise. That includes those 'Reylo' fans who are decidedly unhappy with how this particular romance story wrapped up. But all this should've been obvious with how TROS is doing even worse then TLJ at the box office.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    You think the last Star Wars movie isn't going to hit a billion plus? Do you not see the next three weeks

Dec 27 Little Women, Spies in Disguise, Just Mercy, IP Man 4
    Jan 3 The Grudge
    Jan 10 I spy, Like a Boss, Underwater
    Jan 17 Bad Boys 3, Dr Dolittle

Just a little perspective Joker opened at Global 234 million ,Star Wars has already 376 million worldwide. This is just a example show that film starting lower than what Star Wars did still made a billion. Going into a Holiday weekend with no competition other than Jumanji 2. Star Wars will probably outgross Joker it has 3 weeks of uncontested prime time slot when people are looking to spend movie watch movies and children are out from school. But Joker will have definitely a better profit margin not Gross.

I never get tired of reading this type of Disney narrative, even when the elephant is getting fatter in the room. I think it was you who used to tell me that story telling, writing, directing, the basic lore of the source material does not matter , all that matters was rotten tomatoes. That has not worked well for star wars box office, has it.

Joker had legs. Joker is rated R. Anyhow anyone would like to look at it, Joker will go down this year as the biggest box office success of 2019 because Joker played it old ways of doing things where artistic movie quality had to reflect the quantity of the box office.

Star Wars will drop hard in the coming weeks, the word of mouth and I mean the actual word of mouth that is mixed to negative is going to be damaging for the box office in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    You need to get out more, the verdict is in and audiences think that TROS sucks. Even the most ardent supporters of Disney's Star Wars are now abandoning the franchise. That includes those 'Reylo' fans who are decidedly unhappy with how this particular romance story wrapped up. But all this should've been obvious with how TROS is doing even worse then TLJ at the box office.
    Exactly well put. I can't believe some are trying to spin star wars rise of Skywalker mess as positive. JJ Abrams is even abandoning ship. he has said the negative or shall I say criticisers are right about the film.

I never get tired of reading this type of Disney narrative, even when the elephant is getting fatter in the room. I think it was you who used to tell me that story telling, writing, directing, the basic lore of the source material does not matter , all that matters was rotten tomatoes. That has not worked well for star wars box office, has it.

Joker had legs. Joker is rated R. Anyhow anyone would like to look at it, Joker will go down this year as the biggest box office success of 2019 because Joker played it old ways of doing things where artistic movie quality had to reflect the quantity of the box office.

Star Wars will drop hard in the coming weeks, the word of mouth and I mean the actual word of mouth that is mixed to negative is going to be damaging for the box office in the coming weeks.
    What exactly about what you said changes anything I said, I said Star Wars is still going to make a billion and gross higher than Joker. The Last Jedi had a horrible Rotten Tomato score with audience it had an 56 rating, Rise of the Skywalker has an 86 with audiences. You guys mistake my post about being Disney hype or some nonsense. I said THERE IS NO COMPETITION FOR THREE WEEKS in the busy season for movies. So let me break down for you

It already has 376 million
    Dec 24,25 ,27,28,29- Over this 5 day period about 300 to 400 million world wide
    Jan 3,4,5- It has to make about 100 to 150 million
    Jan 10,11, 12- It has to make about 50 million

What is the math on that is about 926 million. Anyone can look at my guesstimation and realize it is super low . Star Wars has no real competition for 3 weeks so it is going remain in the max amount of theaters screens for 3 weeks. No where I am super positive or hyping up the movie but reviews are positive enough that Rise of skywalker is going to walk out this 5 day period in good shape and that is all really needs to make what I am saying come through. The Last Jedi was "hated" more than this movie and still did Billion plus. It is tracking low for a "Star Wars movie" but it is tracking good for just about anything else not name Marvel or Star Wars.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-24-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    The Star Wars Forums I've read (Reddit and Jedi Council) seem waaaaaay more positive than the Last Jedi.

There was outright hatred for TLJ but people the hate threads are significantly less long and not as heated as the this one.

Those who *were* fans of TLJ are hating it, and the Reylo thing seems universally reviled. Almost all of the critiques fans seem to have are legitimate--but for the most part the movie had an impossible job and the original folks who liked TJA (or hated TLJ) seem to be appeased.

I don't know if they will ever get some of the fans they lost back in TLJ, but I think this movie at least stopped the bleeding of this franchise.

Ultimate Member

You do know you are talking about Star Wars. See KIDS DGAF about grown manbabies like EVS who throw fits about Rose & Finn existing. That parent or grandparent does not either.
    They don't care about Twitter, Tumblr, Rotten Tomatoes or whoever bashing this film to just bash it.

The online troll universe does not run everything. How many more books and movies have to be hits before trolls get that?

It has 4 weeks as Killerbee pointed out of movies that are not going to derail it's box office. Don't forget you got another holiday with MLK Day-see kids will be out that day too.

A billion is possible. It might not happen in January, it might be February.

Even if it does not-WHO CARES? It's not going to stop Star Wars stuff from being MADE.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Even if it does not-WHO CARES? It's not going to stop Star Wars stuff from being MADE.
    This is true, but I think this initial result is enough to make rival studios not be quite so frightened of releasing a potential blockbuster against a one month Star Wars window.

Of course, Disney is about the only studio able to produce blockbusters anymore, so shrug.

Retired

It seems like the studios wanted to get out the way of Frozen, Star Wars and Jumanji, thinking there wouldn't be room for them. That gives those movies a clear path to accumulate dollars over the holidays. Even though Star Wars will probably get to a billion dollars, it doesn't appear to be the behemoth that other studios thought it would be and maybe they should have tried harder. I don't expect Disney is happy with the result, even if they make all their money back--it leaves them looking weaker than they were before and Disney wants to dominate.

Of course, I don't want Disney to slay the competition, so maybe I'm trying to find the silver lining.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It seems like the studios wanted to get out the way of Frozen, Star Wars and Jumanji, thinking there wouldn't be room for them. That gives those movies a clear path to accumulate dollars over the holidays. Even though Star Wars will probably get to a billion dollars, it doesn't appear to be the behemoth that other studios thought it would be and maybe they should have tried harder. I don't expect Disney is happy with the result, even if they make all their money back--it leaves them looking weaker than they were before and Disney wants to dominate.

Of course, I don't want Disney to slay the competition, so maybe I'm trying to find the silver lining.
    And therein lies the irony. Disney clearly wants to be the Death Star of the movie industry, so I can’t imagine Bob Iger and the suits are too terribly pleased that Rise of Skywalker didn’t eclipse The Last Jedi which, in turn, didn’t eclipse The Force Awakens.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!