Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontt View Post
    What mutant powers annoys you?

Exemple given:

i hate Tarot’s powers, considering that mutations are biological traits, it makes zero sense that her power manifestation would require an artifice like tarot cards.
    I think her powers makes sense, if you take into account they are a psychic power, and there are millions of tarot cards and users, and there are also millions of dead tarot users in the past through the centuries.
    She basically is connecting to the collective unconscious of mankind regarding tarot cards.
    she should be able to do that with anything that is and has been symbolically meaningful to millions of humans in the present and past

Mighty Member

I do think Psychic powers suck.

Like a lot.

I dislike over powered telekinetic powers and reality warping. It’s especially bad in combat. There is no reason anyone like Franklin or Proteus should ever lose a fight, they can just turn someone into a rock with a thought. Same with someone like Exodus, he can just throw anyone miles away or into space.

Side note, I’m that guy that does like Logan’s healing factor power creep. Sorry....

Edit: I’d be cool with it going back down to 80’s levels as long as Logan gets to be one of the best h2h fighters ever again though.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I agree with a lot of what was said here.

Hyper healing factors, Omega Level mutants, having multiple powers, reality warping, creating pocket universes......

I will disagree with Tarot, I always thought her powers were pretty unique.

The deal with Tarot wasn’t her uniqueness, it was her reliance on artifice. Like, would a dude with her mutation and a copy of Ranger Rick be able to summon and deploy a stampede of raccoons? Could someone with her power use their iPhone to pull up an image of a black hole to kill the world? And that’s just the need for images. It’s essentially a situational reality warp, which I think we all agree, hella dumb.

Back when I was dreaming up an Xavier’s that worked liked Hogwarts, I decided there were the following types of powers:

1. Psychics. Powers related to the mind.
    2. Elementals. Powers related to a substance.
    3. Dynamos. Powers related to the conveyance of energy.
    4. Transmorphs. Powers related to altering one’s form.
    5. Superhumans. Powers related to enhanced human abilities.
    6. Aberrants. Powers related to breaks in reality.

Most mutants are blends, like Storm is a Psychic Elemental, and Iceman is an Elemental Transmorph. Beast and Wolverine are both multi-expressive Superhumans. Teleporters are all Aberrant Psychics. Bishop and Cyclops are both Dynamos. Gambit is a Dynamo Superhuman. Too Pokémon?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    The deal with Tarot wasn’t her uniqueness, it was her reliance on artifice. Like, would a dude with her mutation and a copy of Ranger Rick be able to summon and deploy a stampede of raccoons? Could someone with her power use their iPhone to pull up an image of a black hole to kill the world? And that’s just the need for images. It’s essentially a situational reality warp, which I think we all agree, hella dumb.

Back when I was dreaming up an Xavier’s that worked liked Hogwarts, I decided there were the following types of powers:

Most mutants are blends, like Storm is a Psychic Elemental, and Iceman is an Elemental Transmorph. Beast and Wolverine are both multi-expressive Superhumans. Teleporters are all Aberrant Psychics. Bishop and Cyclops are both Dynamos. Gambit is a Dynamo Superhuman. Too Pokémon?
    Love this classification set-up.

On topic - Reality Warping. I alwady thought this was just too hard to write in way that wouldn’t feel PISsy.

BANNED

WOW...that's I have NO WORDS.

I agree. I LIKES YOU.

Relying on illustrations and symbolism is just more of a magical ability than something you would expect from mutant Evolution

Although to be fair there are plenty of mutants whose powers are like that:
    Ariel teleports, but up until she "died" she relied on traveling through literal doorways
    Indra used to have a pangolin-like exoskeleton and now he creates intricately designed armor and weapons
    Lifeguard only ever seemed to activate her powers when she was trying to protect other people

It's like their powers only make sense in the context of shared cultural experiences, not as an adaptation for survival

Wow. Can you please design an X-men RPG video game?

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    Wow. Can you please design an X-men RPG video game?
    Would love to. Please extricate me from Michigan and hire me please!

But like I said, I was dreaming up a strata for Xavier's so Marvel/Disney had their own Hogwarts.
    Ms. Frost taught Psychics, but her homeroom class was called the Hellions. Their X belt was white over black, and they are all disgusted -not disgusting- kids.
    Ms. Munro taught Elementals, but her homeroom class was called the Paragons. Their X belt was gold over black, and they are all joyful kids.
    Mr. Rasputin taught Transmorphs, but his homeroom class was called the Guardians. Their X belt was gold over red, and they are all the angry kids.
    Mr. Wagner taught Aberrants, but his homeroom class was called the Paladins. Their X belt was red over black, and they are all the scared kids.
    Mr. Summers teaches Dynamos, but his homeroom class was called the Ruffians. Their X belt was gold over blue, and they are all the sad kids.
    Mr. Howlett teaches Superhumans, and doesn't have a homeroom.

But anyway, that's how I understand most of these shitty mutant powers like Glob, and Sharkgirl. They're both Trasmorphs who are bad at it. Wackos like Tarot are Psychic Aberrants. Truly weird cases like Siena Blaze are Dynamo Aberrants, which are seemingly rare.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 03-02-2020 at 07:51 PM.

Mighty Member

Marvel and SE should team up and turn this into a JRPG. This looks like something that would print money.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Would love to. Please extricate me from Michigan and hire me please!

But like I said, I was dreaming up a strata for Xavier's so Marvel/Disney had their own Hogwarts.
    Ms. Frost taught Psychics, but her homeroom class was called the Hellions. Their X belt was white over black, and they are all disgusted -not disgusting- kids.
    Ms. Munro taught Elementals, but her homeroom class was called the Paragons. Their X belt was gold over black, and they are all joyful kids.
    Mr. Rasputin taught Transmorphs, but his homeroom class was called the Guardians. Their X belt was gold over red, and they are all the angry kids.
    Mr. Wagner taught Aberrants, but his homeroom class was called the Paladins. Their X belt was red over black, and they are all the scared kids.
    Mr. Summers teaches Dynamos, but his homeroom class was called the Ruffians. Their X belt was gold over blue, and they are all the sad kids.
    Mr. Howlett teaches Superhumans, and doesn't have a homeroom.

But anyway, that's how I understand most of these shitty mutant powers like Glob, and Sharkgirl. They're both Trasmorphs who are bad at it. Wackos like Tarot are Psychic Aberrants. Truly weird cases like Siena Blaze are Dynamo Aberrants, which are seemingly rare.
    This is excellent. The only things I would reconsider would be the Guardians...instead of angry, make them aggressive and the Ruffians I would make all introverts not sad. It makes for diverse emotional expression (aggressive can be both angry or one who enjoys fighting and introversion can be sad or it can just not want to be around others).

Oh sure. The home rooms were based around emotions, since all these mutant kids would be traumatized. I’m not married to any of it. I named them so they’d all have a 3 syllable beat ending in “n” sound. I had a list somewhere... “Scorpions” was another possible team name.

But anyway, actually helping and teaching these poor kids like Glob is not something they’re ever likely to do. I think Skin was the last time I saw a student actually improve in the application of thier mutation, and be better for it.

This is really good idea( which I am stealing)

Were I to fix things:

1. Tarot // dream-based precognition <non-combat mutant>
    2. Franklin Richards // reality manipulation (limited via Illuminati) <Omega mutant>
    3. Legion // empathic metamorph --> reality manipulation "Proteus" <Omega mutant>
    4. Scarlet Witch // magical non-mutant
    4. Monarch // magical non-mutant
    5. Ink would not exist.
    6. Darkstar // telekinesis
    7. Doorman // teleportation
    8. Quagmire // telekinesis
    9. Silhouette // teleportation
    10. Vanisher // teleportation
    11. Adam X would not exist.
    12. Jean Grey would not be an Omega mutant.
    13. Glob // beeswax transmorph
    14. Eyeboy // extra eyes, supervisions (But the eyes would close and then vanish.) <non-combat mutant>
    15. Maggott // multibody transmorph (Can change his form into several smaller, hive-mind creatures; his slugs are only his first phase.)
    16. Sharkgirl // shark transmorph (Like Wolfsbane is for wolves. Stays in were-shark shape on land.)
    17. Nature Girl // empath
    18. Wolverine, Logan // healing factor (No bone claws. They're robotic additions.)
    19. Wolverine, Laura // healing factor (No bone claws. They're robotic additions.)
    20. Sabretooth wouldn't be a mutant.
    21. Deadpool wouldn't be a mutant.
    22. Wildchild wouldn't be a mutant.
    23. Daken // healing factor (No bone claws. No claws. Uses swords!)
    24. Magik // teleportation (Magic grants her dimensional access with concentration, requires an "anchor".)
    25. Fitzroy // teleportation (Technology granted him a single time-jumping portal, stranding him and Bishop here.)
    26. Cable wouldn't be Cable.
    27. Rachel // telepathy, telekinesis, pyrokinesis
    28. Eva Bell wouldn't exist.
    29. Domino // precision (Not luck-power, but superhuman aim, agility, combat awareness.)
    30. Roulette // precision (Not luck-power, but superhuman aim, agility, combat awareness.)
    31. Longshot // precision AND subtle instinctive reality-shaping (very, very, rare)

Wooo baby that's a lot of teleporters. I wish some were short-range like Nightcrawler, and not all Magik/Lila Cheneys.
    I see no problems with teleporters, the dumb thing is teleporting "parts" of one thing or person without the rest.

Is like Gambit, he cant charge organic objects and it takes longer with bigger things.

I like to see limit in their powers, makes everyone more unique.