Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default So, Can the Titans Finally be Saved Now?

So, with certain developments that have taken place over the last few weeks at DC, including a change of leadership, do you think that the Titans franchise could be revived and restored to what it once was? The franchise has been in bad shape for years, but how much of that is actually because of the shortcomings of the franchise vs. TPTB seemingly sabotaging it because of personal biases?

I say they should call Hickman and see if he can do for the Titans what he did for the X-Men. Or find another writer who has a grand vision of where to take the characters.

Astonishing Member

No. They are in the same spot as other faddish youth appeal teams that were strong in the 80s like LoSH. The demographics that drove their appeal is just no longer there. The only one left standing is X-Men. And only because X-Men has blown up as a franchise. Legion and Titans are on life support.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    No. They are in the same spot as other faddish youth appeal teams that were strong in the 80s like LoSH. The demographics that drove their appeal is just no longer there. The only one left standing is X-Men. And only because X-Men has blown up as a franchise. Legion and Titans are on life support.
    Except for the show, Titans. And Young Justice which has many of the same characters. And just about any other DC property that has gained a large following outside the comics.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

They still have a steep hill to climb to get back to their former glory. Even back in the glory days, the run started to gradually decline as soon as Perez left. It once rivaled the X-Men in terms of popularity, but I don't think the stories have aged quite as well as the best of X-Men from the same era (though I still love them). They burned almost as bright, but not as long. The X-Men have plenty of ruts, but it seems easier to get out of them occasionally: Jim Lee, Morrison, now Hickman.

The other media adaptations have the benefit of adapting stories for a wider audience that are old hat for the comics reading audience. A comic fan could get enjoyment out of a new take of Terra betraying the team, Raven's conflict with Trigon or Dick becoming Nightwing again, but actual main canon rehashing that stuff over and over again is dull. we already have those comics to re-read.

But never say never. The franchise was considered a lost cause before NTT came around. And while its problems existed before DiDio's time and will likely persist to an extent even with him gone, it should be a bit easier to get around the stumbling blocks now. I would LOVE for Hickman to do for the Titans what he's doing for the X-Men. We would have to wait for him to be done there (and for the X-Men's sake, I hope he's there for a while) but it would be worth the wait if/when he comes over. There are many DC characters I'd love to see him take a crack at, Superman and the Legion being the other big ones behind the Titans.

I think that depends on the creative team and what they have planned for the book. A lot of people like the characters and the team overall, now what needs to be done is to use the characters people like and go in a good direction with them. Someone at this point needs to have a plan better then “hey we brought the team you like back together”, we’ve seen that multiple times not both during and before rebirth. Give them a mission statement and a purpose in the DC universe and don’t let the Justice league interfere.

If it’s the classic sidekicks training the next generation of sidekicks who don’t wanna join the JSA on a new team go big with that, comics like JSA, Legion, and even the Justice League shows that we can handle expansive line ups. If it’s not that have a good reason for them to be out there and doing hero work. Just have something to tell that readers will like is all I’m saying.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The X-Men also have a more sustainable narrative than the Titans. Being the champions of a human subspecies meant to transform civilization is a hook with a lot more angles than teens becoming heroes. There’s more space for innovative storytelling and complete overhauls that keep the franchise fresh like what Hickman is doing with Dawn of X. Titans are stuck in the same place teams like the Young Avengers and New Warriors are at. Once they’ve become fully formed heroes it’s hard to find a direction.

The best DC could do with them is have the members that made the team popular graduate into solos or other team books while some become mentors to the next generation. But with all the outside media attention they’ve gotten DC might be hesitant to break up the core team permanently. Or they could go the Young Justice route but without being a subset of the League.

What is the obsession with Hickman? Is he the ONLY person in the comic person who knows the secret to reviving the Titans and no one else? I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    So, with certain developments that have taken place over the last few weeks at DC, including a change of leadership, do you think that the Titans franchise could be revived and restored to what it once was? The franchise has been in bad shape for years, but how much of that is actually because of the shortcomings of the franchise vs. TPTB seemingly sabotaging it because of personal biases?

I say they should call Hickman and see if he can do for the Titans what he did for the X-Men. Or find another writer who has a grand vision of where to take the characters.
    I think it may clear the way somewhat but you're right it would still need a really talented creative team with a strong vision for the franchise's future.

As for Hickman, with him just starting his current huge run on X-Men , he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. But his dream DC job has always been the Legion. I'm not sure he could be lured over to DC without getting the keys to that franchise and I'm not sure he'd want to work with Bendis' version of the LoSH.
    Last edited by Midnighter; 03-03-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Do the Titans have a chance now? I have no idea. It depends on a lot of stuff I don't have answers for.

What's Lee's opinion on the franchise? What does he hope he could do with it? What does he think he can realistically accomplish in this market? What kind of approach would he be likely to approve of?

Same goes for Harras. What's he likely to approve of and support?

Is WB/AT&T watching? If so, does the success of the Titans in larger media (live action, TTGO!, Young Justice, YA novels, etc) make the parent company push for their comics inclusion?

Does DC even have a reason to think the Titans are still worth the effort, or do they feel that their effort will reap greater rewards elsewhere?

I have no idea what any of these people think.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Saving the Titans franchise is going to require a massive overhaul of all the characters connected to it and commitment NOT to rehash old storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Do the Titans have a chance now? I have no idea. It depends on a lot of stuff I don't have answers for.

What's Lee's opinion on the franchise? What does he hope he could do with it? What does he think he can realistically accomplish in this market? What kind of approach would he be likely to approve of?

Same goes for Harras. What's he likely to approve of and support?

Is WB/AT&T watching? If so, does the success of the Titans in larger media (live action, TTGO!, Young Justice, YA novels, etc) make the parent company push for their comics inclusion?

Does DC even have a reason to think the Titans are still worth the effort, or do they feel that their effort will reap greater rewards elsewhere?

I have no idea what any of these people think.
    After Justice League bombing WB/ATT Probably sees it as a less damaged brand, so yeah I'd think so.

That whole franchise needs a rebrand and a good one at that
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

The Titans are doing better than ever - apparently Teen Titans Go is a hit on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    After Justice League bombing WB/ATT Probably sees it as a less damaged brand, so yeah I'd think so.
    They very well might see it as the brand with less stank on it. I'd be kinda surprised otherwise, actually. The lesser known brand, but less damaged currently.

But that probably doesn't mean much. Does the parent company know that larger media success doesn't reach floppies? Do they think it reaches trades? Do they even care, or is all this just cheap storyboards for adaptations?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

They probably can, but it's also probably not a priority.

I'd bet on DC stopping screwing with them for the moment, and doing a meaningful overhaul some time in the future.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!