Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

"Life" and "intelligent life" should not be confused. As I mentioned earlier, there is no reason to believe that evolution will inevitably, or even probably, produce intelligence. Life thrived on earth for hundreds of millions of years without the emergence of human intelligence, and it could just as well have carried on for hundreds of millions of years longer if it had never happened.

yeah, Earth doesn't need humans. Humans need the Earth.

Any way, yeah, whales appear to be quite intelligent. Elephants and dolphins too, but the fact the human species dominate them means we are more advanced. I don't think those animals enjoy being killed by human, but it seems they can't do much about it. In a way, humans are also doing big damage to the Earth, but we still lack the control or wisdom to stop it before is too late. :/

Also, who says other alien civilization haven't become so advanced, but they just don't think we are ready?

Are you saying Star Trek is pure fantasy?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Extraterrestrial, intelligent or otherwise. I'm not talking about things that are sometimes considered to be evidence of life (earth-like planets, solar systems like our own, proto-life molecular structures, and so on). Just talking about our galaxy here, the part we have been able to explore where we have at least some data to go off of.

No data is available beyond that.
    makes sense.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    "Life" and "intelligent life" should not be confused. As I mentioned earlier, there is no reason to believe that evolution will inevitably, or even probably, produce intelligence. Life thrived on earth for hundreds of millions of years without the emergence of human intelligence, and it could just as well have carried on for hundreds of millions of years longer if it had never happened.
    Without that asteroid, we probably wouldn't be here.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    yeah, Earth doesn't need humans. Humans need the Earth.

Any way, yeah, whales appear to be quite intelligent. Elephants and dolphins too, but the fact the human species dominate them means we are more advanced. I don't think those animals enjoy being killed by human, but it seems they can't do much about it. In a way, humans are also doing big damage to the Earth, but we still lack the control or wisdom to stop it before is too late. :/

Also, who says other alien civilization haven't become so advanced, but they just don't think we are ready?

Are you saying Star Trek is pure fantasy?
    If they are anywhere near enough to know we are here, and use technology, we would have heard them by now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    If they are anywhere near enough to know we are here, and use technology, we would have heard them by now.
    Unless they consider us not worth contacting. Maybe their technology is so far beyond ours that they regard us as just a species to be cataloged and maybe studied, but they have no more interest in communicating with us than we do with squirrels. Of course, maybe there's simply no one there, as you say.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Every time I see this program, or an advert for it, I die a little inside when I remember what the History once was. Oh well, at least we still have the Smithsonian and National Geographic Channels.
    Yeah. It was great once.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Depends on where they are in their own development, and that may be independent of their intelligence. For instance, if they happen to be on planet that's low in a variety of minerals and metals, it might curb how far they advance. You're not building radios without iron, copper, or something analogous, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Unless they consider us not worth contacting. Maybe their technology is so far beyond ours that they regard us as just a species to be cataloged and maybe studied, but they have no more interest in communicating with us than we do with squirrels. Of course, maybe there's simply no one there, as you say.
    Not contact, but if the use the electromagnetic spectrum in any way, we most likely would have detected it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Depends on where they are in their own development, and that may be independent of their intelligence. For instance, if they happen to be on planet that's low in a variety of minerals and metals, it might curb how far they advance. You're not building radios without iron, copper, or something analogous, for example.
    We were talking about a planet that knows we are here, but doesn't contact us. There could be many planets with life that don't have technology like ours.

since we are all made of star stuff, it's possible that life in other planets has many similarities with us, but shaped by different environments.

This is one of those topics that usually end in useless debates back and forth and lots of heads butting like all members are playing American Football. It's a pleasure to see this thread so calm and gentle.

I wouldn't think it's arrogant to not believe aliens exist in another solar system, I just don't see myself wondering about it without seeing any.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Astonishing Member

Scientifically speaking, everything is possible, even human like creatures. What we believe means nothing.

There is still the possibility of us finding alien life in this solar system, the moons of Jupiter for example.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    This is one of those topics that usually end in useless debates back and forth and lots of heads butting like all members are playing American Football. It's a pleasure to see this thread so calm and gentle.

I wouldn't think it's arrogant to not believe aliens exist in another solar system, I just don't see myself wondering about it without seeing any.
    I think we are all just stating our assumptions, understanding that it is all a guess. We know it it an unknown.

One of the bits of evidence I go by, based on a data set of one , is that the Earth is about 4.5 billion years old and life has been here at least for 3.5 billion. So life formed early on the Earth. It leads me to think life is a more natural occurrence on Earthlike planets.