Page 997 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 49789794798799399499599699799899910001001100710471097 ... LastLast
Results 14,941 to 14,955 of 17573
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Surely the progressive wing can do better than Nina Turner? Abrams is from Bernie's own wing, btw - she's a candidate Our Revolution supported in '18. AOC is too young and would likely be controversial among the left because she disagree with Sanders decisions in the primaries.

Edit: Why not Tulsi? It's not like she disagrees with Turner on much.
    AOC would work fine. She’s still like the most beloved outside Sanders for that wing of the party. I’d say Ellison, but Biden committed to a woman (which I think is a huge mistake btw because it limits options and comes off as virtue signalling) so he can’t go that route

Honestly if I was Biden, I wouldn’t nominate someone under the guise of a progressive olive branch. That requires a concession on his end to make it meaningful that I don’t think his camp is committed to making.

He’s better off trying to play the cards he’s dealt at this point. Go Whitmer. She’s a woman, she shores up a must win swing state, she’s attractive so she’ll play well with the shallow American electorate, she’s a Midwesterner, she can campaign on Trump’s covid response which I think will be a hurdle for Biden to do himself.
    Last edited by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE; 03-31-2020 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    AOC would work fine. She’s still like the most beloved outside Sanders for that wing of the party. I’d say Ellison, but Biden committed to a woman (which I think is a huge mistake btw because it limits options and comes off as virtue signalling) so he can’t go that route

Honestly if I was Biden, I wouldn’t nominate someone under the guise of a progressive olive branch. That requires a concession on his end to make it meaningful that I don’t think his camp is committed to making.

He’s better off trying to play the cards he’s dealt at this point. Go Whitmer. She’s a woman, she shores up a must win swing state, she’s attractive so she’ll play well with the shallow American electorate, she’s a Midwesterner, she can campaign on Trump’s covid response which I think will be a hurdle for Biden to do himself.
    The issue with Whitmer is that she is in control of a state that could easily swing back to a Republican Governor after a census year, giving Republicans control of redistributing should Democrats be content with winning the White House. One probably would like to see some more competitive districts in the state than what a Republican Governor would be willing to do. I think she will probably stay where she is.

The issue with AOC, again, is that she isn’t old enough to take office should *God forbid* anything happen to Biden. It would be the Speaker of the House who would be next in line, then. Ideally, that would be Nancy Pelosi. But we would have to replicate the same kind of wave election year that we had in 2018 to keep the House given how much districts have been manipulated. That could end up with a Republican taking office realistically speaking. You probably want to avoid such a possibility.
    Last edited by TheDarman; 03-31-2020 at 07:08 AM.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    The left and media don't care about Tara because Biden is the likely democrat nominee and they don't want to give Trump ammunition. Just like they don't care about the extremely credible accusers, like Juanita Broadrick, who accused Bill Clinton and that they don't care that Hilary is a complete hypocrite when given how she attacked her husband's accusers in the media and then later tried to make herself into an advocate for female victims.
    The same media that did the “...but her emails!” thing is afraid of letting Trump have a weapon to use against Biden? I doubt it. It is plausible, however, that establishment Democrats would rather ignore it because it is politically convenient. They, as you noted, did the same thing with Bill Clinton. Of course, I do think the Access Hollywood tapes would’ve ended Trump’s campaign if not for Comey’s “October Surprise” and turning off people who disliked both candidates from voting for Clinton and depressing turnout among those lukewarm about it.

Its all about what party you are. One of the many reasons why there are many who hate both sides as both sides turn a complete partisan blind eye to their own parties misdeeds.
    The media isn’t an arm of the left. They clearly aren’t and often hold liberals accountable for things that they wouldn’t dare to write about conservatives. The issue, I think, with Reade’s case is that the New York Times and the Washington Post have likely learned their lesson from Roy Moore and Kavanaugh—always do some independent verification before publication. All the sites running this, including Vox and other left-wing media, are having to admit that they can’t independently verify these accusations. Which means the only source that states they could verify her claims is a source that has been consistently on the side of Sanders. I think the hold up is that other media sources aren’t able to independently verify this case and are probably waiting to see if any leads turn up or if others come forward.

Grocery store throws out $35,000 worth of food it says woman deliberately coughed on

The past few weeks have been tough for Gerrity’s Supermarket, a small family-owned chain in northeastern Pennsylvania. Like grocers nationwide, it has been deluged with orders and has struggled to keep basics such as chicken breasts and toilet paper on the shelves. Employees have been working overtime, pausing only for five-second breaks to wipe everything down with disinfectant wipes.

Then, on Wednesday afternoon, a woman came in and deliberately coughed all over the produce section, meat case and bakery department, co-owner Joe Fasula said. The store had to throw away more than $35,000 worth of food.

“Today was a very challenging day,” Fasula wrote in a message to shoppers on Facebook. “While there is little doubt this woman was doing it as a very twisted prank, we will not take any chances with the health and well-being of our customers."
    With most other businesses shuttered in an attempt to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus, grocery stores have found themselves on the front lines of the global pandemic. Numerous supermarket employees nationwide have already tested positive for covid-19, and fears about being exposed to the virus run rampant. Meanwhile, a disturbing trend has emerged: People deliberately coughing on workers, other shoppers or the food.

On Wednesday, Fasula posted pictures of employees carrying away carts full of fresh cucumbers, bell peppers, eggplants, onions and potatoes that were destined for the trash. “It truly saddens us,” he wrote on Twitter. “We are doing our best to provide everyone a safe environment & the items they need during this time including our seniors & those who are immunocompromised when there is already panic w/ supply & hoarding. To have to waste food due to this breaks our hearts!”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

If Andrew Cuomo decided to run for President in 4 years, I think he'd be a serious contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    If Andrew Cuomo decided to run for President in 4 years, I think he'd be a serious contender.
    His brother just tested positive for covid-19, so now it's personal for him.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

That bitch, and other cretins like her need to be thrown immediately into jail. No bail, no slap on the wrist, no leniency, none of that ****, a bare minimum of three months in jail, no reduction or exceptions whatsoever. That would stop this nonsense in the bud. I mean, it's bad enough that the simple chore of going to the grocery store or supermarket is akin to playing Russian Roulette these days because you don't know who might be carrying the virus (and the people who work in those places should get combat pay in addition to their salary), the last thing we need are fuckwads who do stupid **** like that woman had done. That just pisses me off royally.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I hope she stays locked up for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Probably. But I think 2024 will be a wide open primary as well. I think it’ll be Biden’s VP, Cory Booker, Kamala Harris (if she isn’t his VP), and maybe even AOC making a run. It’s a question of how many people want to involve themselves in that kind of primary after what happened this time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Probably. But I think 2024 will be a wide open primary as well. I think it’ll be Biden’s VP, Cory Booker, Kamala Harris (if she isn’t his VP), and maybe even AOC making a run. It’s a question of how many people want to involve themselves in that kind of primary after what happened this time.
    Don't forget Bernie Sanders. He'll run from an Iron Lung if he has to.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    In 4 years, Bernie will be retired and living the good life back in his home state.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    I don’t think he’s running in 2024. I think he touts his endorsement as a prize and then moves on.

I said what I said. Sanders is proving right now that he can't not run.

http://https://www.nytimes.com/2020/...l-economy.html

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is expected on Tuesday to announce its final rule to rollback Obama-era automobile fuel efficiency standards, relaxing efforts to limit climate-warming tailpipe pollution and virtually undoing the government’s biggest effort to combat climate change.

The new rule, written by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Transportation, would allow cars on American roads to emit nearly a billion tons more carbon dioxide over the lifetime of the vehicles than they would have under the Obama standards and hundreds of millions of tons more than will be emitted under standards being implemented in Europe and Asia.
    It's nice to see that while he's busy failing miserably at responding to the Covid outbreak, Trump can still find time make the world a more unhealthy place in other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    That bitch, and other cretins like her need to be thrown immediately into jail. No bail, no slap on the wrist, no leniency, none of that ****, a bare minimum of three months in jail, no reduction or exceptions whatsoever. That would stop this nonsense in the bud. I mean, it's bad enough that the simple chore of going to the grocery store or supermarket is akin to playing Russian Roulette these days because you don't know who might be carrying the virus (and the people who work in those places should get combat pay in addition to their salary), the last thing we need are fuckwads who do stupid **** like that woman had done. That just pisses me off royally.
    According to the Justice Department, making threats using COVID-19 is now the same as making a terrorist threat, and can be charged as a felony.