Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Netflix may have just decided to work on properties they don't need to share with Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Netflix may have just decided to work on properties they don't need to share with Disney.
    Its possible. I'm thinking whether Daredevil gets a season 4 will be the litmus test as to whether this is the case or not. If it doesn't its possible the upcoming seasons of Jessica Jones and Punisher will be their last as well.

From what I understand they have Millars comic book IPs. Meanwhile marvel is developing it's own streaming service. So this might be a case where both sides are outgrowing their business arrangement.

While it may have been an element of their thinking the way Luke Cage suddenly collapsed suggests this isn’t the main reasoning. This is primarily speculation by elements of the press and fans.

We know that Netflix were on board while the writers room were working on script treatments, we know production was paused while Marvel reworked the available material into 10 episodes on Netflix’s request. We know the new script treatments were worked on and brought to Netflix and we know they still had concerns about the direction of the show. All of this suggests Coker’s vision for the show was not something Netflix wanted to purchase.

All off this effort and all of those notes flying back and forth is just not compatible with the speculation that Netflix simply decided to focus on their own properties. Also, this isn’t how a company like Netflix thinks. They don’t own IP like Disney. They commission shows from production companies.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    While it may have been an element of their thinking the way Luke Cage suddenly collapsed suggests this isn’t the main reasoning. This is primarily speculation by elements of the press and fans.

We know that Netflix were on board while the writers room were working on script treatments, we know production was paused while Marvel reworked the available material into 10 episodes on Netflix’s request. We know the new script treatments were worked on and brought to Netflix and we know they still had concerns about the direction of the show. All of this suggests Coker’s vision for the show was not something Netflix wanted to purchase.

All off this effort and all of those notes flying back and forth is just not compatible with the speculation that Netflix simply decided to focus on their own properties. Also, this isn’t how a company like Netflix thinks. They don’t own IP like Disney. They commission shows from production companies.
    Let me ask something as someone who's clueless. If they didnt like the show runners direction why not just hire a new one? Take the show a new direction. Canceling the show because u dont like the script the writers came up with seems like an over reaction. But maybe Coker has more power then I know or I'm missing something. I'm sure we will see Colter again as Luke though. Though I'd rather they reboot and bring Luke to the big screen the character power set in the comics now would have him run through the likes of MCU Cap and Drax. Few years again I read a story where he went blow for blow with Namor..... in the water. Namor who had recently held and entire island up. So its either bad writing or Luke's gotten ridiculously strong. I think it's a mix of both but I think he would work great on the big screen with an actor who can do the action with some furry. Colters great dramticly but his action scenes are slow and weak. Bushmaster exposed him a bit cause that actor threw his blows with purpose and it looked good.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Let me ask something as someone who's clueless. If they didnt like the show runners direction why not just hire a new one? Take the show a new direction. Canceling the show because u dont like the script the writers came up with seems like an over reaction. But maybe Coker has more power then I know or I'm missing something. I'm sure we will see Colter again as Luke though. Though I'd rather they reboot and bring Luke to the big screen the character power set in the comics now would have him run through the likes of MCU Cap and Drax. Few years again I read a story where he went blow for blow with Namor..... in the water. Namor who had recently held and entire island up. So its either bad writing or Luke's gotten ridiculously strong. I think it's a mix of both but I think he would work great on the big screen with an actor who can do the action with some furry. Colters great dramticly but his action scenes are slow and weak. Bushmaster exposed him a bit cause that actor threw his blows with purpose and it looked good.
    It's entirely possible that it was cancelled due to a variety of factors. Cost and ratings may have come into play, with the issue of creative differences being the straw that broke the camels back.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's entirely possible that it was cancelled due to a variety of factors. Cost and ratings may have come into play, with the issue of creative differences being the straw that broke the camels back.
    That's what I'm thinking. I just don't want this side of the MCU to be changed with Disneyfication. Ugh

They flat out said 100% it was creative and unwillingness to change due to the episode count dropping to 10.

Which makes 0 sense ... get a new team. Something else must be going on.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    They flat out said 100% it was creative and unwillingness to change due to the episode count dropping to 10.

Which makes 0 sense ... get a new team. Something else must be going on.
    From what I read, it wasn't just Cheo who had issues with Netflix, but apparently Marvel was being difficult too.

There is a new report saying Iron Fist views dropped 64% and Luke Cage 59% with seasons 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    There is a new report saying Iron Fist views dropped 64% and Luke Cage 59% with seasons 2.
    Can't say I'm surprissed about Iron Fist (even though I don't dislike it as much as some). It overall got a pretty bad reception season one. But the drop for Cage surprised me a bit. I thought it was pretty well received.

Hopefully Jessica, Matt and Frank and Buck the trend.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Well, here's one. though Netflix is secretive about its ratings, another way to gauge interest in the show is through social media. Luke Cage Season 1 netted 300,000 Instagram and Twitter posts, but Season 2 got them only 50,000. Iron Fist Season 1 got 120,000, but Season 2 got them a dismal 20,000.

It's too soon to tell about Daredevil Season 3's social media impact, but using social media as a metric, DD Season 4 could be in trouble.

Inverse article

More details from Business Insider
    This shouldn't be terribly surprising. Luke Cage was very well marketed, started off really well, and then devolved into absolute nonsense by the end of the first season. It didn't get the hype the second season because the show's quality didn't maintain. IF had hype and then people watched it and realized it was a slog to watch.

These shows simply didn't have broad appeal because they weren't as good as Punisher, DD, or JJ. And the drop-off in social media excitement reflects that.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    This shouldn't be terribly surprising. Luke Cage was very well marketed, started off really well, and then devolved into absolute nonsense by the end of the first season. It didn't get the hype the second season because the show's quality didn't maintain. IF had hype and then people watched it and realized it was a slog to watch.

These shows simply didn't have broad appeal because they weren't as good as Punisher, DD, or JJ. And the drop-off in social media excitement reflects that.
    Luke Cage i felt was good all the way through especially with the soundtrack. Like somebody else said in another thread, I just think it was probably too culturally dense for some people.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post

I read that DD s3 dropped in views too. And S3 was rock solid. I would'nt put too much stock into the opinions of casual viewers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    I read that DD s3 dropped in views too. And S3 was rock solid. I would'nt put too much stock into the opinions of casual viewers.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in people who say they know what Netflix' numbers are, especially within a couple of weeks of a shows launch, since Netflix doesn't release that info.