Fantastic Member

Default Best and Worst Couples

Marvel has had some couples that have stood the test of time. We have all grown up with them. However, there are also some couples that just piss off the fandom. What are the best and worst couples, in your mind?

Best: Spiderman and Mary Jane

Worst: Wolverine and Mystique

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

One of my favourites is Scott & Emma. It’s a big shame how all that went down.

BANNED

Best: Peter Parker and Mary Jane

Worst: Hank and Janet (even Pre-Slap).

In general Marvel Comics don't do romance and relationships well.

-- Marvel's single greatest love story and romance in any story is Daredevil Born Again but that relationship was undone after that pretty quickly. On the strength of Born Again, Matt/Karen is the greatest relationship in Marvel comics but in serial comics continuity not so much, since Daredevil is this toxic human being as far as relationships goes.

-- In the case of X-Men, Cyclops and Jean were meant to be this ultimate love story but they devolved into the Ross and Rachel of comics history with Cyclops constantly going "we were on a break", being a s--ty husband and absentee Dad, and so on.

-- Reed and Sue are the President and First Lady of Marvel. For all that's worth, which is not a lot. He was a crappy abusive husband in the past, and they are a boring WASP couple in the present. Reed's constantly neglecting her, while the only drama comes when Sue has banal fantasies about cheating on Reed with Namor or T'Challa.

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    Marvel has had some couples that have stood the test of time. We have all grown up with them. However, there are also some couples that just piss off the fandom. What are the best and worst couples, in your mind?

Best: Spiderman and Mary Jane

Worst: Wolverine and Mystique
    I believe Wolverine & Viper (Madame Hydra) has that one beat, runner up Mystique & Ice Man
    Meet the new Blu_Spyder,
    same as the old Arachne_Azure

"If Life doesn't give you some sugar to go with the lemons
    your lemonade is gonna suck
    "

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

As for some unusual pairings I have a fondness for Crusher Creel and Titania aka Mary (Skeets) McPherran. They have had one of Marvel's longest relationships

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    As for some unusual pairings I have a fondness for Crusher Creel and Titania aka Mary (Skeets) McPherran. They have had one of Marvel's longest relationships
    And shockingly more stable and enduring than a lot of superhero marriages/romances. So many in the hero community could take notes from them.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

This is true. They were very devoted to each other in most of the stories I've read with them. No backstabbing, etc.

The Best:

Spider-Man x Mary Jane
    Spider-Man x Gwen Stacy
    Spider-Man x Black Cat
    Cyclops x Jean Grey
    Cyclops x Emma Frost

The Worst:

Jean Grey x Beast
    Every other couple

Marvel blows chunks at romance. They destroyed the one good one that had because they're so out of touch, and the second closest, Reed and Sue, they can't stop putting strain on them by reminding everyone how Sue wants to sleep with Namor all the time.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Maybe in the past we had a need for couples to be perfect, but we know that people have problems and Marvel has tortured superpeople.

Does best mean faithful, look cute together, power-couple, equal, or something else?

My favorites are:
    Crystal and Quicksilver
    Scott and Jean
    Bobby and Romeo

Not favorites:
    Crystal and Ronin
    Crystal and Johnny
    Havok and Janet
    Jean and Wolverine

Need some more time apart:
    Black Bolt and Medusa

Amazing Member

The best is definitely Spider-Man/Peter Parker and Mary Jane.

Storm and Forge was pretty bad when I read X-comics as a kid because it seemed to be about isolating Storm from her life as a superhero.

Best: Deadpool and Bea Arthur.

Worst: Deadpool and Spider-Man.