Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Suicide Squad: #RELEASE THE AYER CUT

Gotta admit it, now that we're getting the Snyder Cut of Justice League, I want to see the Ayer cut of Suicide Squad.

I've said many times before that I think DC's solo comics movies have been pretty fantastic: Man of Steel, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, Joker.

However, for some reason, their teamup movies all seem to run into one sort of trouble or another: Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, Justice League, Birds of Prey.

I liked Batman v Superman, even the theatrical cut, as a solid B+, but this was a step down from the A- I gave Man of Steel because I did see some of the problems people talked about. The dark tone, however, wasn't something that bothered me.

Anyway, with Suicide Squad, I felt it was even more disjointed because, from what I understand, they let a trailer producing company recut the film for release.

Quite frankly, if that's true, that's one of the wackiest things I've ever heard coming out of Hollywood.

David Ayer shot his entire film, so it really wouldn't require any real money to just have him get into the edit bay with someone and come up with a cut that he's happy with.

I think all DC's teamup films had more studio interference than usual in them, and that's why the first 3 all benefited/could benefit from a director's cut.

On its own, I don't think a Suicide Squad director's cut is a big enough promotable event for HBOMax, but if ZSJL does well, a DASS cut could piggyback on it.

If both were to be well-received, or at least better received than their theatrical counterparts, maybe it would teach the studio execs at Warners that there's too many cooks in the kitchen as far as these movies are concerned and their mandated changes have not led to better movies.

Anyone else wanna see a David Ayer cut of Suicide Squad?

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Gotta admit it, now that we're getting the Snyder Cut of Justice League, I want to see the Ayer cut of Suicide Squad.

I've said many times before that I think DC's solo comics movies have been pretty fantastic: Man of Steel, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, Joker.

However, for some reason, their teamup movies all seem to run into one sort of trouble or another: Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, Justice League, Birds of Prey.

I liked Batman v Superman, even the theatrical cut, as a solid B+, but this was a step down from the A- I gave Man of Steel because I did see some of the problems people talked about. The dark tone, however, wasn't something that bothered me.

Anyway, with Suicide Squad, I felt it was even more disjointed because, from what I understand, they let a trailer producing company recut the film for release.

Quite frankly, if that's true, that's one of the wackiest things I've ever heard coming out of Hollywood.

David Ayer shot his entire film, so it really wouldn't require any real money to just have him get into the edit bay with someone and come up with a cut that he's happy with.

I think all DC's teamup films had more studio interference than usual in them, and that's why the first 3 all benefited/could benefit from a director's cut.

On its own, I don't think a Suicide Squad director's cut is a big enough promotable event for HBOMax, but if ZSJL does well, a DASS cut could piggyback on it.

If both were to be well-received, or at least better received than their theatrical counterparts, maybe it would teach the studio execs at Warners that there's too many cooks in the kitchen as far as these movies are concerned and their mandated changes have not led to better movies.

I'm surprised they didn't already put out a directors cut. That's generally an easy way to squeze out a few extra bucks on a movie. They did it with Batman vs Superman.

Astonishing Member

I've never watched Suicide Squad again after it left theaters and I forget when Gunn's Suicide Squad can possibly release now.

But yeah who knows what 2021 will be like now. If ZSJL is well received, and with solo director ruled DC Films having a solid track record now, I can imagine DASS featuring somewhere during the Countdown to Gunn's SS.

BANNED

I’m down for this

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm surprised they didn't already put out a directors cut. That's generally an easy way to squeze out a few extra bucks on a movie. They did it with Batman vs Superman.
    I think maybe the studio was trying to shy away from that version of Joker. Otherwise makes no sense not to let Ayer release his cut. He swears Leto has 30mins more of scenes and is amazing. I have no doubt about his ability as an actor but I just don't care for anymore of that version of the character. Who knows though if it came out and people loved it , I probably would put aside some time for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I think maybe the studio was trying to shy away from that version of Joker. Otherwise makes no sense not to let Ayer release his cut. He swears Leto has 30mins more of scenes and is amazing. I have no doubt about his ability as an actor but I just don't care for anymore of that version of the character. Who knows though if it came out and people loved it , I probably would put aside some time for it.
    Recently I read that Ayer's version was going to tie directly into Snyder's JL (well if its old new to everyone it was new news to me :P ). So maybe it was both to shy away from both Leto's Joker and Snyder's JL.

Ayer has recently been teasing and throwing hints about this, so I wouldn't be surprised if an Ayers Cut of Suicide Squad is announced shortly to air on HBOMax.

Ultimate Member

I think Ayer’s director’s cut will be much easier than the Snyder cut which is more of an assembly work.

That being said, I have zero interest in seeing a Suicide Squad director’s cut because on a conceptual level, I think the movie got it wrong. I don’t have any interest in seeing the Squad fight some supernatural goddess thing with faceless zombies to boot.

I also have no interest in seeing more of Leto’s Joker. I saw enough of him in the theatre cut to know that I don’t need anymore of it.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

While Jared Leto Joker had the best haircut of all the Jokers so far, he also had the worst laugh, tattoed skin, teeth and personality by far. If they somehow had connected Enchantress to Apokolips and Darkseid... that would have been a great idea going back all the way to Ostrander's run. The idea of the SS going through a portal and operating behind enemy lines on Apokolips and instead of Enchantress' zombie army the Anti-Life-Equation...

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Me: I saw Suicide Squad after Joker because I was curious to understand why the Jared Leto's Joker was so criticized and now I think that with the "release cut" something crucial was missed, something necessary to understand the character and give sense to the movie. So I really hope to see this Ayer's cut; maybe the character and the movie will still suck, but at least my curiosity will be satisfied.

For me, I didn't like Ayer's Joker because he decided to portray him as an eccentric gangster with a gimmmick, rather than a psychopath/mass murderer. Leto could have been fine otherwise in terms of his performance.

For me, I didn't like Ayer's Joker because he decided to portray him as an eccentric gangster with a gimmmick, rather than a psychopath/mass murderer.
    I actually prefer that take on Joker. I've gotten tired of that mass murder Joker.

The only thing I think they really got wrong with their version of Joker was the character design. I had no problem with him otherwise. (Okay, so maybe he didn't have the best laugh, it was still better than Ledger's.)

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I personally don't want to see anymore of Letoker. And while I think Ayer's actual cut of Suicide Squad would definitely offer something different from what we received, I don't think this compares strongly to Snyder's situation. Ayer was active in working on the final cut of the film. He never walked away nor was fired. He was still on but was given new parameters to work with, which he did. He then went on the press tour and acknowledged it was his cut (although it was a PR move that he admitted to).
    This doesn't exactly compare to the Snyder Cut situation.

BUT, I won't get in the way of fans calling for its release on HBO Max. If people want it, I hope you get it. If it does come out, I'll probably check it out from pure curiosity, but I don't think I'll actively campaign for it.

It is extraordinary to see how WB meddled in these films in their rush to compete with the MCU, for better or worse. They ended up imploding their own universe 4 films in...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think Ayer’s director’s cut will be much easier than the Snyder cut which is more of an assembly work.

That being said, I have zero interest in seeing a Suicide Squad director’s cut because on a conceptual level, I think the movie got it wrong. I don’t have any interest in seeing the Squad fight some supernatural goddess thing with faceless zombies to boot.

I also have no interest in seeing more of Leto’s Joker. I saw enough of him in the theatre cut to know that I don’t need anymore of it.
    I completely agree. It is not possible that another "cut" will make this a good movie. They got things wrong on a basic and fundamental level from the conception stage. You can't add a few more scenes even with millions and make it a good movie. Because the bottom line is that entire team was under powered to fight that villain. It made no sense. Then you squeeze in Joker to the side I mean it's just a mess.

They made fundamental mistakes that cannot be blames on editing, or the "studio". The writing and original concept itself failed.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I completely agree. It is not possible that another "cut" will make this a good movie. They got things wrong on a basic and fundamental level from the conception stage. You can't add a few more scenes even with millions and make it a good movie. Because the bottom line is that entire team was under powered to fight that villain. It made no sense. Then you squeeze in Joker to the side I mean it's just a mess.

They made fundamental mistakes that cannot be blames on editing, or the "studio". The writing and original concept itself failed.

I don't know if being "underpowered to fight that villain" is a bad thing. I think it adds tension to the experience -- and why the team is called "Suicide Squad." They should always be behind the 8-ball right from the start. And, because they're not the Justice League, they should win by any means necessary using every dirty trick in the book.

So, for me, I don't think the movie is fundamentally "wrong." Again, since it would just be a director's cut of existing footage, it really wouldn't require any large infusion of funds to accomplish.

If the director himself feels such a cut would be "cathartic," I'm guessing he knows just how badly his film was butchered in the final edit process.

And, who knows? Maybe more Joker footage would make Leto's take better.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I don't know if being "underpowered to fight that villain" is a bad thing. I think it adds tension to the experience -- and why the team is called "Suicide Squad." They should always be behind the 8-ball right from the start. And, because they're not the Justice League, they should win by any means necessary using every dirty trick in the book.

So, for me, I don't think the movie is fundamentally "wrong." Again, since it would just be a director's cut of existing footage, it really wouldn't require any large infusion of funds to accomplish.

If the director himself feels such a cut would be "cathartic," I'm guessing he knows just how badly his film was butchered in the final edit process.

And, who knows? Maybe more Joker footage would make Leto's take better.
    When Ayer was announced I expected SS to reach Training Day levels of competence, drama and thrills. I was looking forward to this movie more than most people on theese boards and I never thought including Harley was a good idea but at least that goes back all the way to Ostrander's run where he made Punch and Judy squad members. The predecessors of HQ and Mr.J

SS should be a black ops team that needs bad guys but it sure doesn't need irrational crazy bad guys. The good SS stories are about politics, characters and spy action. They're not about fighting Superman or Superman-in-name-only