Page 16 of 54 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: The Car Thread

Anybody remember Slot Cars, they ran on the electricity from the track. The just need to scale that up.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Anybody remember Slot Cars, they ran on the electricity from the track. The just need to scale that up.
    Don't think that would work well . . . it would be like having people walking on New York City's subway tracks with a live third-rail to provide power to the cars.

Extraordinary Member

Tesla' evidently allow you to shout at pedestrians with external loudspeakers...

Not sure that was at the top of my wish list, but I guess if you like that sort of thing, this is your ride.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Tesla' evidently allow you to shout at pedestrians with external loudspeakers...

Not sure that was at the top of my wish list, but I guess if you like that sort of thing, this is your ride.
    Not sure of the details fo9r the cars, but Consumer Reports has gone from giving one of Tesla's models a score of 100 to now saying they are one of the worst manufacturers out there. The brand score is 25 with their highest ranked model only getting a 59.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Saws myself a Citreon 2CV for the first time ever on the road. This guy, but in green.

Saws myself a Citreon 2CV for the first time ever on the road. This guy, but in green.

When I was a kid (back in the 1960s in New Jersey) our neighbor had a Citroën (I'm guessing it was a DS model from pictures I can find on the wikipedia entry).

So rare in America. I think I have only seen them in a Car Show.

On the other hand, My mom had a 61 Peugeot.

Last edited by Kirby101; 01-03-2022 at 09:49 AM.

Extraordinary Member

So rare in America. I think I have only seen them in a Car Show.

On the other hand, My mom had a 61 Peugeot.

I know, and I just glanced over and saw it in the next lane. And was more excited by that than any of the Lambos and Ferraris and Astons I see all the time where I live, (they drive by me, they don't live anywhere I do, that said, there is a guy with an old Audi R8 supercar and another with an old NSX, plus another with a nice old 60s or 70s Sunbeam---a great looking and probably terrible to drive or own British car).

I do wish we could buy things like that Citreon, or indeed any of those French and British brands we just can't get here for whatever reason. I might not and just go with the Honda or the VW anyway, but I'd love the option.

And part of me really, really wants that early French front propeller driven car that would turn pedestrians into hamburger with that prop....

I gather the French weren't big into car safety in those days.

Extraordinary Member

Wow! I can finally say which car I've seen that impresses me the most, the new BMW concept car at CES. The car itself is an unremarkable BMW SUV, but it has one feature that will gather crowds: It changes color. Not slowly, but fast and flashing, like the displays of squids or those deep sea critters with bio-luminescence. And complex patterns! Amazing stuff.

Extraordinary Member

Parked in my local supermarket, got out of my...er...VW, looked around, and saw this.

Which is a car I've never seen before, and I wouldn't park there without an armed guard; it's a Lexus LFA. The supercar that doesn't really look like it, and is a Lexus. Over half a million if you want one. On the upside, it's as fast as The Flash, and comes with their on version of Onstar. The minus is it''s bland and a Lexus.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Parked in my local supermarket, got out of my...er...VW, looked around, and saw this.

Which is a car I've never seen before, and I wouldn't park there without an armed guard; it's a Lexus LFA. The supercar that doesn't really look like it, and is a Lexus. Over half a million if you want one. On the upside, it's as fast as The Flash, and comes with their on version of Onstar. The minus is it''s bland and a Lexus.
    If memory serves, I do believe I saw one at the Philadelphia Auto Show some three years ago. At the time, I was floored with what I had seen.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    If memory serves, I do believe I saw one at the Philadelphia Auto Show some three years ago. At the time, I was floored with what I had seen.
    I certainly wouldn't turn one down, that's for sure. But I once saw a Maclaren P1 in an even lower sort of area. Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy there, but I wouldn't park a 2 plus million dollar car which screams "carjack me" because it looks as expensive as it is.

The world land speed record has held since 1997 when the ThrustSSC reached 763 mph.
    I am surprised it has not been broken since then.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kirby101; 01-15-2022 at 07:39 PM.

Extraordinary Member

The world land speed record has held since 1997 when the ThrustSSC reached 763 mph.
    I am surprised it has not been broken since then.

In part I suspect because everyone's too terrified to try for more. Doing that is IMO like going to space or the bottom of the sea; I'm glad there are people who have it in them to try, but it's just not for the rest of us.

The Bloodhound is designed to go faster. But so far...

https://www.bloodhoundlsr.com/