Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Other than numbering, nothing has changed with Legacy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    Other than numbering, nothing has changed with Legacy.

What I've felt - but I'm only on a few books

In fact the renumbering has meant I've dropped titles so in fact I'm reading almost no marvel now, 3 or so books, 2 of these bendis ones ill likely drop when he leaves them

Two of them are Bendis books, so that won’t last. Marvel Legacy is too much like a holding pattern. There are bad dudes abounding, like High Evolutionary, Blackheart, Purple Man, but they generally get defeated and everything just moves on.

Marvel haven’t made a period lethal to the status quo - things just rectify themselves after one or two arcs, instead of have the Earth completely change in Avengers, Thor, and Falcon, so too much has happened for super heroes to deal with and it’s something like Dark Reign with three or four warlords controlling 4 new political regions of Earth. That would make the Marvel Legacy different from anything that came before.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Two of them are Bendis books, so that won’t last.
    Not sure what that means. Bendis will finish out whatever arcs he's working on and someone else will take over the books. The only book I can see ending when he leaves is Jessica Jones and even then I expect Marvel would prefer someone take over.

Marvel Legacy is too much like a holding pattern. There are bad dudes abounding, like High Evolutionary, Blackheart, Purple Man, but they generally get defeated and everything just moves on.
    I hate to break it to you but that's what comics are - bad guys showing up and being defeated. That's what they've been, that's what they are, and that's what they will continue to be. If you haven't figured that out yet, I don't know what to tell you.

Serialized superhero comics are always in a perpetual "holding pattern" in which the status quo is disrupted by a villain only to be restored by the storyline's end only to have another villain with another scheme disrupt the status quo again. This is a repeating cycle.

Marvel haven’t made a period lethal to the status quo - things just rectify themselves after one or two arcs, instead of have the Earth completely change in Avengers, Thor, and Falcon, so too much has happened for super heroes to deal with and it’s something like Dark Reign with three or four warlords controlling 4 new political regions of Earth. That would make the Marvel Legacy different from anything that came before.
    The goal of Marvel Legacy isn't to make something "different from anything that came before." It's about restoring aspects of the MU that have been sidelined or absent recently. If anything, it's about bringing familiar elements back.

Also, the Legacy arcs have JUST STARTED. They're either on issue one or two of their arcs or, in some cases, haven't even begun yet so it's a little soon to even say what changes are due to occur. Current storylines involving the High Evolutionary, Blackheart, Purple Man and others have not even finished yet and, for the most part, they've barely begun.

And of course things in comics more or less rectify themselves after one or two arcs. That's how comics work. Characters can experience a certain level of upheaval for a time but as far as the broader universe goes, whatever permanent disruption you're looking for in comics is never going to happen. The Earth in the MU is never going to "completely change."
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 11-11-2017 at 07:46 AM.

BANNED

When is Legacy 2 coming out tbh that's the most appealing thing of the event to me

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    When is Legacy 2 coming out tbh that's the most appealing thing of the event to me
    It's hard to know online when people are asking questions sarcastically.

But in case this is a legit question, Legacy was a one-shot. There is no #2 coming. The storylines that were begun or hinted at in Legacy will play out in other books.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    There are no sales numbers to look at on Legacy yet, outside of the one-shot in September, which was the #1 title that month and the biggest selling book of the year to date.

And is Marvel's problem is that they lead the industry more months out of the year than not? That's not a "problem" any publisher would mind having.

Legacy isn't meant to "fix" anything so much as reintroduce characters and elements that have been absent of late.
    NO SALE prof! don't lie and say this wasn't a fix..it was(BTW there were sales.it started in OCTOBER! so there are numbers. and it was meh....remember Marvel said something about breaking the internet!.. ..the real truth is there was NO UP-TICK ON ANY MARVEL TITLE comichron shows the truth. and stop with the " digital sales & reintroduce BS... that crap is old.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    It's hard to know online when people are asking questions sarcastically.

But in case this is a legit question, Legacy was a one-shot. There is no #2 coming. The storylines that were begun or hinted at in Legacy will play out in other books.
    It wasn't sarcasm, I didn't follow the articles.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticman101 View Post
    NO SALE prof! don't lie and say this wasn't a fix..it was(BTW there were sales.it started in OCTOBER! so there are numbers.)
    Can you provide a link to the exact numbers of copies of the comic books ordered by retailers in October right now?

Please note that "Prof. Warren" said "no sales numbers to look at on Legacy yet", and the more detailed information on sales/orders of individual titles often aren't readily available until closer to mid-month. (The post you were referring to was dated Thursday November 9th.)

ANAD Marvel > Marvel Legacy >>>>>>>>>>> Marvel Now 2.0

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by plasticman101 View Post
    NO SALE prof! don't lie and say this wasn't a fix..it was(BTW there were sales.it started in OCTOBER! so there are numbers. and it was meh....remember Marvel said something about breaking the internet!.. ..the real truth is there was NO UP-TICK ON ANY MARVEL TITLE comichron shows the truth. and stop with the " digital sales & reintroduce BS... that crap is old.
    Legacy started in September, with the one-shot. As noted, it was the biggest book that month and the biggest of the year to date.

When I made my post, October's numbers hadn't come in yet. Since then, the Diamond numbers for October have come out and Marvel is, again, the #1 publisher in both retail market share...

RETAIL MARKET SHARE
    PUBLISHER SHARE
    MARVEL COMICS 36.38%
    DC ENTERTAINMENT 30.58%
    IMAGE COMICS 11.46%
    IDW PUBLISHING 4.33%
    DARK HORSE COMICS 2.82%
    DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT 1.99%
    BOOM! STUDIOS 1.96%
    ONI PRESS INC. 1.08%
    TITAN COMICS 1.02%
    ARCHIE COMICS 0.68%
    OTHER NON-TOP 10 7.70%

...And Unit Market Share

UNIT MARKET SHARE
    PUBLISHER SHARE
    MARVEL COMICS 38.63%
    DC ENTERTAINMENT 35.48%
    IMAGE COMICS 9.84%
    IDW PUBLISHING 3.31%
    DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT 1.96%
    BOOM! STUDIOS 1.81%
    DARK HORSE COMICS 1.74%
    TITAN COMICS 0.85%
    ONI PRESS INC. 0.76%
    VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT LLC 0.73%
    OTHER NON-TOP 10 4.89%

And clearly, just by the Top Ten, we can see that Thor, Amazing Spider-Man and Deadpool all experienced significant upticks.

https://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1...ticleID=124425

And here's Comichron's preliminary analysis of October:

http://blog.comichron.com/2017/11/me...-sales-to.html
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 11-11-2017 at 09:39 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    It wasn't sarcasm, I didn't follow the articles.
    Well, now you have your answer!

Spectacular Member

This is really something you can only determine on a title by title basis.

Mighty Thor #700, Captain America #595 and Moon Knight #188 were all great. Keep in mind I never read any of Jason Aaron’s Thor saga up to then.

A good chunk of Legacy is continuing past runs with a new jumping on points. So if you liked something you’ll probably still like it. Or if you wanted to get into a run you know is good you can just jump in. I liked Duggan’s All-New Guardians of the Galaxy, so unsurprisingly I liked Guardians of the Galaxy #146. Black Bolt and Ms. Marvel are some of my favorite Marvel titles right now. Old Man Logan, Iceman and Astonishing X-Men are still good.

Don’t read them but I heard All-New Wolverine and Daredevil keep up their good quality.

And on the other hand, I didn’t pick up She-Hulk #159 because Tamaki’s Hulk got so meh, nor Luke Cage #166 because the solo up to that renumbering bored me.

Personally i’m hyped for Donny Cates on Doctor Strange, starting next week.

Mighty Member

Not sure what that means. Bendis will finish out whatever arcs he's working on and someone else will take over the books. The only book I can see ending when he leaves is Jessica Jones and even then I expect Marvel would prefer someone take over.
    We know that Marvel typically plans 1 or 2 years in advance. Depending on when they found out about Bendis going to DC, they may have to scramble to address him leaving But, we would not see any signs of that until mid to late next year.

Serialized superhero comics are always in a perpetual "holding pattern" in which the status quo is disrupted by a villain only to be restored by the storyline's end only to have another villain with another scheme disrupt the status quo again. This is a repeating cycle.
    Fair point. The last time that big changes were allowed to occur and stick as the 80s. And, since then, many of those changes have been undone or require a significant asterisk.

And of course things in comics more or less rectify themselves after one or two arcs. That's how comics work. Characters can experience a certain level of upheaval for a time but as far as the broader universe goes, whatever permanent disruption you're looking for in comics is never going to happen. The Earth in the MU is never going to "completely change."
    Is there a betting pool for when Marvel will bring back Vegas, and an over:under on if they will just have it show up (hoping that we all forgot the city getting nuked in "Secret Empire")?

Generally, big changes mean that a significant reboot or reset is coming.

With recent reports and rumors, it looks like I may be following some writers to DC. (Marvel is still holding on to Ewing however. So, I am not turning my back on Marvel.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Spectacular Member

i kniw this is almost unrelated but also how is guardians of the galaxy? i read the new one up to i think issue 6 and i loved it,also rocket was dope