Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast

Thread: World War X

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    https://www.newsarama.com/49157-jaso...n-hickman.html

Jason Aaron hints at World War X coming in the future.

Nothing will make me quit Marvel Comics altogether like another AvX where everyone was written like a dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post

Nothing will make me quit Marvel Comics altogether like another AvX where everyone was written like a dumbass.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Cosigning you both. Given that Jason Aaron has been building up a global arms race for superhuman strike teams in his Avengers run, it would make more sense to me that those strike teams coming from nations that aren't on good terms with Krakoa right now are the ones directly deployed against Krakoa. The new Squadron Supreme of America would especially make more sense to me as the superhuman strike team deployed on behalf of American geopolitical interests to neutralize Krakoa, since the Avengers have made it clear, particularly lately, that they don't answer to any one nation or government so much as they protect the whole world and everyone in it regardless of national borders or political interests.

With that in mind, the only sensible way I could see for the Avengers to be pulled into this would be acting as a neutral or unaligned party trying to prevent innocent lives from getting caught in the crossfire of nationalized super-teams ganging up on Krakoa and/or Krakoa retaliating against its attackers. Either way, the Avengers' goal wouldn't be tilting the war in favor of one side or the other, but instead deescalating it before too many innocent lives are lost and/or someone commits an atrocity that would just escalate the war until one or more sides are completely destroyed.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Cosigning you both. Given that Jason Aaron has been building up a global arms race for superhuman strike teams in his Avengers run, it would make more sense to me that those strike teams coming from nations that aren't on good terms with Krakoa right now are the ones directly deployed against Krakoa. The new Squadron Supreme of America would especially make more sense to me as the superhuman strike team deployed on behalf of American geopolitical interests to neutralize Krakoa, since the Avengers have made it clear, particularly lately, that they don't answer to any one nation or government so much as they protect the whole world and everyone in it regardless of national borders or political interests.

With that in mind, the only sensible way I could see for the Avengers to be pulled into this would be acting as a neutral or unaligned party trying to prevent innocent lives from getting caught in the crossfire of nationalized super-teams ganging up on Krakoa and/or Krakoa retaliating against its attackers. Either way, the Avengers' goal wouldn't be tilting the war in favor of one side or the other, but instead deescalating it before too many innocent lives are lost and/or someone commits an atrocity that would just escalate the war until one or more sides are completely destroyed.
    I mean, it feels like there's a little more cohesion this time around. We see the lines sharing Dracula, both books are referencing each other a little, and there are more threats on both sides than just each other.

Plus, you know, the actual villains involved.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Edit: posted in wrong thread

Extraordinary Member

Just read the new Avengers issue and, well, yeah, **** is going down.

Astonishing Member

I’d say F4/X-MEN is a good start to “War were declared”

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Just read the new Avengers issue and, well, yeah, **** is going down.
    Yes, quite. But more on the apocalyptic side of things, which is an everyone problem. If anything what's coming is going to take both teams to beat. Which might explain the hint of the future Stark/Frost wedding. I say this because the problem the Avengers are now facing via Mephisto extends beyond the 616. Mephisto specifically mentioned ALL Tony Starks (and probably the other Avengers as well) of every universe. He also stated he intends to defeat them all. He's using the veil between worlds to sow discord in every universe. He's manipulating it. And he has, as stated in this issue, both the Phoenix and the Starbrand involved. The Avengers and X-Men fighting EACH OTHER during this would make both teams look stupid as hell. The smarter thing to do would be band together.

And for the X-Men fans on this board who are probably going to argue that X-Men don't need to involve themselves with 'human' or Avengers problems... The X-Men can't have a Krakoa if the 616 as a universe gets entirely destroyed, as does all of the universes in one fell swoop. Mephisto doesn't discriminate between human and x-gene, he wants the soul of everybody.

Last edited by capandkirby; 02-26-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Extraordinary Member

It would be a super monkey's paw thing if Aaron finally let the Scarlet Witch onto the Avengers but only to set up the X-Men's war on the mutant pretender.

Actually, I'd accept that, but we all know neither Aaron nor Hickman care about the classic Avengers so it likely won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    It would be a super monkey's paw thing if Aaron finally let the Scarlet Witch onto the Avengers but only to set up the X-Men's war on the mutant pretender.

Actually, I'd accept that, but we all know neither Aaron nor Hickman care about the classic Avengers so it likely won't happen.
    That sounds like a personal/cognitive bias and thus too way, way too fanfic-y.

Thankfully both Hickman and Aaron are more professional than that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Thankfully both Hickman and Aaron are more professional than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Are you actively reading the current Avengers run? If no, then your input into the current storyline is uninformed and thus easily discarded.

I don't care what in Aaron's history/tenure at Marvel you liked and what you have not, we're talking about his skills as a storyteller AT PRESENT, which, if you're not reading, you don't get to have a say on without everything you say being a fallacy of logic.

I love X-Men fans who come here all 'ooogabooga Avengers suck, ooogabooga Aaron sucks' based on AvX which is not only 8-years-old as an event, in other words long, LONG past time to let go of, but was management mandated because of a financial power play over IP film rights. I mean, you do realize that not everything a Marvel writer writes was their idea, correct? Both Saladin Ahmed and Seanan McGuire have tweeted about it. Anyway, none of you know what you're talking about if you're not actually reading Avengers so your words on the current state of events within the MU are meaningless. Have a nice day now.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 02-26-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I mean, based on Aaron's current run and his response to criticism of his She-Hulk characterization, I have my doubts that he wouldn't let pettiness and personal preferences get in the way of good storytelling. And Hickman loves trolling fans, both in his comics and on Twitter; that's actually one of the more charming things about his work.

Mostly though I just think neither Hickman nor Aaron understand the Avengers (Hickman's run had nothing to do with the Avengers; Aaron just thinks they're the Justice League), so I probably wouldn't feel great about their ability to spearhead another Avengers vs. X-Men event. Which is why I kind of hope Hickman's references to "The Pretender Wanda Maximoff" aren't setting up a role in whatever A/X crossover is coming down.

Extraordinary Member

I have faith that things will be fine.

Mostly because I'm having fun with both runs.

And my, green is a danger color at ghe moment.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I mean, based on Aaron's current run and his response to criticism of his She-Hulk characterization, I have my doubts that he wouldn't let pettiness and personal preferences get in the way of good storytelling. And Hickman loves trolling fans, both in his comics and on Twitter; that's actually one of the more charming things about his work.

Mostly though I just think neither Hickman nor Aaron understand the Avengers (Hickman's run had nothing to do with the Avengers; Aaron just thinks they're the Justice League), so I probably wouldn't feel great about their ability to spearhead another Avengers vs. X-Men event. Which is why I kind of hope Hickman's references to "The Pretender Wanda Maximoff" aren't setting up a role in whatever A/X crossover is coming down.
    Wanda is not part of the current Avengers team. Nor has she been announced in any of the solicits to be joining the Avenges any time in the near future (which both Natasha and Blade were prior to their joining, we were always forewarned to new membership), though she will be part of a different team during Empyre that Zub is writing, but not a part of the Avengers proper. I'm sorry to say your personal desire to have Wanda taken down a peg (which, to me, seems like overkill considering Wanda hasn't had any agency for well over a decade now in Marvel comics, considering that for almost all events of the past decade she's been brainwashed/possessed/mind-controlled or insane... as a female comic reader I side-eye the hell out of this) probably wont be realized. As it stands, right now, the Avengers consist of chair, T'Challa, and members: Steve, Tony, Thor, Jen, Carol and Robbie. With Blade and Natasha serving as rotational members.

The Avengers have, not once, in 31 issues, referred to current politics surrounding the X-Men, Krakoa, or House of M. What they have referred to was the Celestial final host, the vampires, a superhero war between the Squadron Supreme (America's official superhero team), the Winter Guard (Russia's official superhero team), the Defenders of the Deep (Atlantis' superhero team) and the Avengers (who have declared themselves neutral, like Switzerland), the ghost riders, Roxxon and now, the Starbrand, all of which leads to a scenario that has been orchestrated and played like a fine tuned piano by Mephisto, who intends to shake things up on a multi-verse level.

You'll excuse me if I roll my eyes (so hard they may very well get stuck like that) with people coming here and trying to make all of this, i.e. an arc Aaron has been leading up to for 31 issues now, into being all about either Wanda or the X-Men. If the X-Men come into this arc doing anything but help the Avengers take on THE DEVIL, then they are going to be on the LITERAL side of the devil, and that would not be a good look.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 02-26-2020 at 11:25 AM.