• TREES #4

2 8.70%
  • UMBRAL #8

0 0%
  • WICKED & DIVINE #3

2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Image Comic of the Week Aug 20/14 - The Fade Out #1, Manifest Destiny #9, Supreme Blue Rose #2

Last Week's Winners

For the second week in a row we have 2 Image titles tied for the comic of the week. Shutter remains strong and is the top comic for the second month in a row beating out Starlight with 6 votes. Also earning top spot is first timer Zero #10.

Red Hot Debut Issue

After signing their unprecedented deal with Image announced at Image Expo, superstar creators Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips deliver their first Image title under this arrangement. Under this new deal Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips are given free rein with their own creative controlled properties without having to pitch it to Image. Be sure to check out their crime noir masterpiece The Fade Out, a new ongoing series. Pictured above is the magazine sized variant edition.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 08-20-2014 at 01:03 PM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Read three Image comics this week: Trees, Supreme Blue rose and The Fade Out.

Really not too sure on my feelings for Supreme. Not too sure if it's just too complicated for me being a new reader to the Ellis spin and not having read any of the previous versions. Will give it to the end of the first arc.

I really enjoyed Trees this week. Tensions were running high in the majority of the story lines, and Ellis seems to be progressing well, revealing bits of information as the book progresses. I'm just hoping there will be a big 'reveal' towards the end of the first arc, which Ellis thinks will consist of around 8 issues.

The steal for me this week was The Fade Out. Love Brubaker (and Velvet), and The Fade Out really did transport me back to a neo-noir LA and provoked really fond memories of watching L.A Confidential for the first time. The art was fantastic and the different characters provide a great contrast in the dialogue. Plus, the little extra that was put at the end of the book is really cool, and it's why I love Brubaker so much. Two page history lesson is always appreciated Really hope it stays strong and the "who dunnit" story doesn't dry up too much.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Eh, another lackluster week honestly. The best of the week went to Manifest Destiny and worst was The Wicked + Divine. Everything else was just sort of there to me (The Fade Out, Umbral, Genius, and Protectors Inc.). Oh well, next week ought to be interesting.

Vote goes to The Fade Out. Velvet and Fatale were books I enjoyed so no real shock that I liked what Brubaker has done here. Really like the neo-noir setting. Got really high hopes for this title.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Fade Out was absolutely fantastic. Basically two perfect weeks in row for this guys (Fatale, the Fade Out). This gets my vote.

I also read Saviors, Trees, and Blue Rose. All good reads, by nothing close to Fade Out.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Fade Out was absolutely fantastic. Basically two perfect weeks in row for this guys (Fatale, the Fade Out). This gets my vote.

I also read Saviors, Trees, and Blue Rose. All good reads, by nothing close to Fade Out.
    How you feeling about the storyline advancement in Trees? I am really enjoying it and it seems hardly anyone is reading it

Quote Originally Posted by ysemaj View Post
    How you feeling about the storyline advancement in Trees? I am really enjoying it and it seems hardly anyone is reading it
    In all honesty, I'm gonna need to read it in bulk. I enjoy it, but I find myself not really remembering what happens month, to month. When all 8 issues come out, I'll re read it and hopefully it will gel better for me.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Eh, another lackluster week honestly. The best of the week went to Manifest Destiny and worst was The Wicked + Divine. Everything else was just sort of there to me (The Fade Out, Umbral, Genius, and Protectors Inc.). Oh well, next week ought to be interesting.
    Not voting yet until I check out Manifest Destiny but Fade out was awesome, I thought it was a perfect debut issue. Interesting cast of characters and the art was fantastic, captured the neo noir atmosphere perfectly. I just love a well crafted "who dunnit" story and this issue easily surpassed my already high expectations. Image is making me broke, I now have another title to add to my pull and will now have to seek out Velvet and Fatale. Seems like I got back into comics just at the right time, I don't remember Image titles from the 90s being this good.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Not voting yet until I check out Manifest Destiny but Fade out was awesome, I thought it was a perfect debut issue. Interesting cast of characters and the art was fantastic, captured the neo noir atmosphere perfectly. I just love a well crafted "who dunnit" story and this issue easily surpassed my already high expectations. Image is making me broke, I now have another title to add to my pull and will now have to seek out Velvet and Fatale. Seems like I got back into comics just at the right time, I don't remember Image titles from the 90s being this good.
    Agreed! You definitely need to read Fatale and Velet. Two must read titles!

I don't know if I just pick the right books, but Image and Lackluster are never in the same sentence for me. Everything I read from Image is awesome, and heads and shoulders above anything (Except Batman and American Vampire) from the big two.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 08-21-2014 at 11:00 AM.

In all honesty, I'm gonna need to read it in bulk. I enjoy it, but I find myself not really remembering what happens month, to month. When all 8 issues come out, I'll re read it and hopefully it will gel better for me.
    Yea I totally understand! I've re-read the first three issues a few times before #4 came out which helped me. Ellis said he wants it to go past 8 issues if everything goes well with it which I really hope ends up happening.

Agreed! You definitely need to read Fatale and Velet. Two must read titles!

I don't know if I just pick the right books, but Image and Lackluster are never in the same sentence for me. Everything I read from Image is awesome, and heads and shoulders above anything (Except Batman sand American Vampire) from the big two.
    I totally agree, Image is just so far ahead of the rest of the publishers right now. I have read ONE series from Image in the last year that I didn't care for and I have read A LOT.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Another excellent issue of Manifest Destiny. Is it me, or is every issue of Manifest Destiny getting better and better? You could tell Chris and Mathew are having a blast with this title. The art is excellent and every issue now is just so much fun. I'm so glad I stuck it out with this title after the first arch (wasn't too thrilled with the plant infestation zombie arch), the concept is just too intriguing to me. We're getting to know the characters a lot more, just an overall fun title. I'm sticking with this till the end.

Fade out wins out for me, such an excellent debut. I'm so happy I have so many quality Image titles to look forward to every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Another excellent issue of Manifest Destiny. Is it me, or is every issue of Manifest Destiny getting better and better? You could tell Chris and Mathew are having a blast with this title. The art is excellent and every issue now is just so much fun. I'm so glad I stuck it out with this title after the first arch (wasn't too thrilled with the plant infestation zombie arch), the concept is just too intriguing to me. We're getting to know the characters a lot more, just an overall fun title. I'm sticking with this till the end.
    I'm with you on this. I almost dropped it after the zombie infestation was revealed. Glad I stuck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post
    I totally agree, Image is just so far ahead of the rest of the publishers right now. I have read ONE series from Image in the last year that I didn't care for and I have read A LOT.
    Totally agreed, it's great how the more creator-driven model is spreading too. Boom! is really catching up, Dark Horse announced a bunch before SDCC... Out of curiosity though, which is the one Image series you didn't like? I've sampled a few which I never continued with (Invincible, Sheltered) and recently dropped Zero. Should add though that none of these series are bad; they're just not 'my thing' enough to warrant a coveted spot on the pull list. Due to limited funds I need to be pretty strict and can't give series "an arc" to catch their groove. If I'm not loving something for 3 issues or more, it's pretty much gone.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Totally agreed, it's great how the more creator-driven model is spreading too. Boom! is really catching up, Dark Horse announced a bunch before SDCC... Out of curiosity though, which is the one Image series you didn't like? I've sampled a few which I never continued with (Invincible, Sheltered) and recently dropped Zero. Should add though that none of these series are bad; they're just not 'my thing' enough to warrant a coveted spot on the pull list. Due to limited funds I need to be pretty strict and can't give series "an arc" to catch their groove. If I'm not loving something for 3 issues or more, it's pretty much gone.
    I LOVE Image and was really determined to try Supreme Blue Rose but after 2 issues I feel like giving up. The artwork is beautiful but Ellis' writing is doing nothing for me although Trees is one of my favourites on my pull list.