Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The last real JSA book ended when Flashpoint occurred back in 2011.

During the New 52, DC was initially saying they were bringing back the JSA, but instead we got Earth 2 where you had characters that were sort of based on the JSA, but with quite a lot of changes.
    10 YEARS? That is inexcusable. That tells me DC does not want a JSA book. Why don’t they let fans pitch ideas and then we vote on it. Not Instagram or Twitter crap either. How many votes from fans who never read a comic book in their life did that garnish? Then pitch us writers and we’ll vote on that too. The suits can still collect their bonuses for the fans work and we finally get a book and everyone is happy. I want two actually. They need to make up for this ridiculous 10 year hiatus.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    10 YEARS? That is inexcusable. That tells me DC does not want a JSA book...
    I take it you're sort of new to this?

DC has a track record going back to the 1980s of trying to get rid of the JSA.

And those covers weren't just hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I take it you're sort of new to this?

DC has a track record going back to the 1980s of trying to get rid of the JSA.

And those covers weren't just hyperbole.
    I read all of Johns JSA. I didn’t really keep up on DC a whole lot. I read all the Earth 2 Stuff as well but TBH I didn’t really like the New 52 so I ventured away from DC. JSA has always been what I liked best about DC in the past

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That's exaggeration, but I'm not going to press it. But it's not Batman - it's just capitalism, mixed with some poor business decisions years ago. Batman's not some boogeyman taking away JSA books from people.
    Eventually it will be his franchise paying for it.

Incredible Member

Well, I just read the third issue of Infinite Frontier secret files focussing on Jade and Obsidian
    -Mr Bones introduces the story mentioning Jade's acting career, her death in infinite crisis, and her subsequent resurrection. He also mention Obsidian going crazy and trying to envelop the world in shadow from John's run.
    -We don't see any more JSA members, so kind of a disappointment, but we also don't get any direct set up for for the missing/kidnap plot here that I can see.
    -Most of it Jade dealing with some insecurities, I'm guessing from being erased from existence and restored by Manhattan. She says
    And then I died, and when I was reborn, as the whole universe was reborn
    Interesting that she knows what Manhattan did to them and considers it the same as dying.
    -She also reminisces about dating Kyle and fighting Paralax.
    -Chroma returns to earth and Jade and Obsidian confront him. He explains since the universe was rebooted his promise not to come back for a million years since they last confronted him is null and void. Obsidian manages to imprison him in the shadowlands.
    -Obsidian manages to give Jade a pep talk about not worrying and just living that seems to work.

Not too bad, all things considered.

10 YEARS? That is inexcusable. That tells me DC does not want a JSA book. Why don’t they let fans pitch ideas and then we vote on it. Not Instagram or Twitter crap either. How many votes from fans who never read a comic book in their life did that garnish? Then pitch us writers and we’ll vote on that too. The suits can still collect their bonuses for the fans work and we finally get a book and everyone is happy. I want two actually. They need to make up for this ridiculous 10 year hiatus.
    Earth 2 was looking quite good at the start, but obviously once Robinson left (or Robinson left because of it) the book quickly became just another slight variation on the usual Batman and the rest of the Trinity formula.

Fans there for the alt-world building JSA were left out at night to freeze, but thanks, we enjoyed the money you gave us propping up our new bat book.

Wow! That article was over five years ago. Exactly how long has it been since the last JSA book came out? Everyone keeps saying the right writer. What does that mean? Are DC’s writers totally inferior to Marvel’s? Or is the editorial totally inferior to Marvel? Maybe taking a cheap shot at the weasels in suits (I’m talking about you DC management) might motivate them.
    A new Johns. Someone who wants to put Hickman level of care into what he's doing.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

So what do you all think?
    Are DC reluctant to publish a JSA because they don't think the market's there?
    Are DC having trouble trying to figure where the JSA now fits within the DCU post (ugh) Metal?
    Or do DC genuinely dislike the franchise and are happy to leave it in mothballs?

I believe it's probably a mix of both options A and B - and until a creator comes along with the clout and the pitch (ala Johns) the JSA are doomed to remain in publishing limbo.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Earth 2 was looking quite good at the start, but obviously once Robinson left (or Robinson left because of it) the book quickly became just another slight variation on the usual Batman and the rest of the Trinity formula.

Fans there for the alt-world building JSA were left out at night to freeze, but thanks, we enjoyed the money you gave us propping up our new bat book.
    I'd disagree about Earth 2 being good at the start, as I'd say it wasn't anything like the JSA that I, or most other JSA fans knew and wanted. It may have been a decent Elseworld idea, but as a what was meant as replacement for the real JSA I think it was wrong from a conceptual place. While I can kind of see the logic in thinking the JSA should be moved to their own earth, combining that with completely rebooting and modernizing them was a wrong headed move feel that was always doomed to failure. The main argument I can see for putting them on their own earth would just to be put them on their own timescale where it's perpetually the 70's-80's and WWII occurred 30-40 years ago, maintaining their link to WWII as well as all their legacies. Instead what we got in the New 52 was a wrong headed reboot of the JSA with a few scattered former legacy characters being rebooted divorced of their legacies on the main earth.

Boisterously Confused

I'm gonna say, probably not.

If DC didn't go All In back in 2015 (the team's Platinum Jubilee), I wouldn't count on it now. There are too few hardcore fans for WB to bet on.

I offer one caveat: if the upcoming JSA cartoon hits big, they might give it a go. Of course, in such a case, the comic might look a lot less like any of the titles that any of us love than any of us would like.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    So what do you all think?
    Are DC reluctant to publish a JSA because they don't think the market's there?
    Are DC having trouble trying to figure where the JSA now fits within the DCU post (ugh) Metal?
    Or do DC genuinely dislike the franchise and are happy to leave it in mothballs?

I believe it's probably a mix of both options A and B - and until a creator comes along with the clout and the pitch (ala Johns) the JSA are doomed to remain in publishing limbo.
    I'd say it was likely C until last year. I suspect Didio's administration was not really big on bringing the JSA back (after all they'd gotten rid of them in the the new 52). I'm hoping right now DC does have plan to get the JSA back in publishing, but it's just taking a little while to get things going. Which unfortunately with the time they're taking to launch it adding on to the time the previous administration spent deliberately trying to avoid publishing a JSA series compounding our frustration. But I'm having hopes for a JSA series either late this year or early next year.

I think they are just waiting for the right pitch to come along.

The DCU is in a slow phase of rebuilding itself.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Eventually it will be his franchise paying for it.
    ...what does that even mean?

DC will probably do a JSA book around the time the Black Adam movie comes out. Since Justice League is currently a dead film property, WB will probably lean heavily into the JSA. So we could see a book in Spring of 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    DC will probably do a JSA book around the time the Black Adam movie comes out. Since Justice League is currently a dead film property, WB will probably lean heavily into the JSA. So we could see a book in Spring of 2022.
    That’s another year and there is no guarantee.