Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Should Batgirl be a movie?

What do you think?

Sure.

Now for the part that will get me crucified.

But it should have Babs as Batgirl in it.

*dodges the thrown fruit and deadly weapons*

Because she is the most recognizable to non-comic book fans. In it, or the Batman film (whichever comes first), you could introduce Cassandra Cain, and have Cass learn to take over for Babs at the end of the film, or something like that.

If this film the character is more like in the past...

Ignoring ALL since the begin of BURNSIDE, I think that this can be a good film..

BANNED

Ant-Man is a movie. A successful one even.

So, eh, hell yeah, Batgirl should be a movie.

Just, you know, do not base it on comics printed in the last 10 years or so.

Sure.

I'm not sure which one should be in the mantle but I'm ok with more than one. Having Barbara mentor Cass or Steph seems like the best way to please multiple sides of the fanbase and take advantage of Bruce's 15+ years of being Batman.

There is also Kate Kane as Batwoman that you would have to address if you want to keep both active.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Sure.

I'm not sure which one should be in the mantle but I'm ok with more than one. Having Barbara mentor Cass or Steph seems like the best way to please multiple sides of the fanbase and take advantage of Bruce's 15+ years of being Batman.
    The fanbase doesn't need to be pleased. The fanbase can take a hike. It's not big enough to have a measurable effect on a movie.

Dumping a crapton of continuity involving three Batgirls into your movie? That's not going to please the mainstream audience. And your movie is dead without them.

Yep, tons of interesting stories they can do with any of the three Batgirls.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Sure. Plenty of potential if done right. I mean they are making a Joker origin movie, so anything is up in the air now in terms of who gets movies, lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Sure. Plenty of potential if done right. I mean they are making a Joker origin movie, so anything is up in the air now in terms of who gets movies, lol.
    That seems to have been killed or put on hold. Like a lot of their projects post-Justice League.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

There's no reason not to. Things are dire for the DCEU now outside of Wonder Woman until we see how Aquaman and Shazam do, but should things right themselves, she'd have a better shot being made than a lot of other characters.

I'd see the movie regardless of who was wearing the mantle if it got great buzz, but Babs would be the only one to get me excited (provided she's not in that godawful Burnside costume). Dumping all three in a movie right away would be a bad idea, and Babs is the easiest to introduce (everybody already knows Gordon). If it proves successful enough to have a trilogy of it's own, maybe start planting seeds for Cass and/or Steph if that's the direction they want to go in/if the actress who plays Babs ever wants to leave.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The fanbase doesn't need to be pleased. The fanbase can take a hike. It's not big enough to have a measurable effect on a movie.

Dumping a crapton of continuity involving three Batgirls into your movie? That's not going to please the mainstream audience. And your movie is dead without them.
    You have a good point. But do you think just going with Cass or Steph, and having them be the only Batgirl would have a measurable effect on the non-fanbase moviegoing audience?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

If there is a Batgirl movie it will be a Barbara Gordon movie and only a Barbara Gordon. No one outside of their minuscule fan-base cares about the other imposters.
    The people in movie division probably don't even know they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Sure.

Now for the part that will get me crucified.

But it should have Babs as Batgirl in it.

*dodges the thrown fruit and deadly weapons*

Because she is the most recognizable to non-comic book fans. In it, or the Batman film (whichever comes first), you could introduce Cassandra Cain, and have Cass learn to take over for Babs at the end of the film, or something like that.
    I don't think a need to dodge anything. To the average person, Barbara Gordon is Batgirl. Just like Dick Greyson is Robin. Why anytime Robin is introduced Bruce goes to the circus.

Now what we could get for a movie.
    If I were writing it.
    Barbara Gordon is Batgirl.
    David Cain is the main villain.
    Cassandra Cain as the masked girl assisting David Cain.
    Killer Moth (Both versions)

Movie starts with Killer Moth in a bank, defeated by Batgirl. Killer Moth is considered a bit of as joke. Is asked by David if he wants to go through a process to become more powerful. Becomes the more monstrous Killer Moth for part of the end fight.
    Eventually we turn Cassandra to good. Her and Barbara defeat Cain.

Perhaps it ends with Barbara getting hurt and she becomes Oracle while Cassandra takes the cowl.

I have a question for the Stephanie fans. I don't mean to knock the character, but how would we do a decent movie with her?
    I failed as Spoiler so I became Robin, then I failed at that, and became Batgirl (And then I'm not sure why she stopped here.)
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    You have a good point. But do you think just going with Cass or Steph, and having them be the only Batgirl would have a measurable effect on the non-fanbase moviegoing audience?
    Some effect. Yvonne Craig is pretty iconic.

Probably not big enough to make that much of a difference as long as the movie is actually good and fun and accessible.
    Of the three Cass is probably the one that works best as a movie.
    Steph is the Cluemaster's daughter, Robin's ex, used to be the Spoiler, used to be Robin, used to be dead... Good luck making a Steph movie with a main character that is till recognisably Steph.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Movie starts with Killer Moth in a bank, defeated by Batgirl. Killer Moth is considered a bit of as joke. Is asked by David if he wants to go through a process to become more powerful. Becomes the more monstrous Killer Moth for part of the end fight.
    Eventually we turn Cassandra to good. Her and Barbara defeat Cain.
    What is Cain's motivation and goal in this? You're giving him Neron's role here, basically Satan.