Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    And I kinda hope that stops. At least for Lois. I don't really care about Lana either way. Part of what makes Lois such an appealing character to me is how she practically embodies the "badass normal" trope. That's why I wasnt a big fan of her New 53 self becoming Superwoman.
    Sure, but the problem with modern lois is that she is just a female sassy clark Kent now. The character needs to have her own individual voices and perspectives on things. As for being badass, we rarely get her in the middle of the action. She and jimmy should be jumping head first into trouble all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    There's not a mythos around the trunks anymore either. The mythos is real men wear their underwear under their pants.

I don't know, it's just weird that every little thing he wears needs some profound reason to be there. Sometimes you just need to wear something to cover your bottom half, and trunks aren't the right choice for that today.
    As said, it's not about being profound. I just want something that can be said in a sentence.like batman is a ninja or black knight. Superman is _______. Being mythic is about layer. You can keep peeling and it will never stop. That's why batman endures.It doesn't take a phd to know what goku is or what batman. The "superhero" word has no meaning. Because superman defined superhero which was strongman vigilante with supernatural abilities and double life. If the character itself is changing up what he is then define him in elsewhere context.

But, the thing about superman being shoved into the role of batman's white knight is true, though . Anyone who reads berserk can see griffith is superman. The savior white knight bad guy. Heck! Look at griffiths background. I can give you an equivalent.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-14-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Sure, but the problem with modern lois is that she is just a female sassy clark Kent now. The character needs to have her own individual voices and perspectives on things. As for being badass, we rarely get her in the middle of the action. She and jimmy should be jumping head first into trouble all the time.
    Forget them just jumping into trouble, I want them finishing trouble. Usually they jump into trouble fine - but need to get saved by Superman. Lois should get out of trouble on her own in style more.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Bendis had a good run, even if some of his ideas were clearly misfires. I think he brought a very clear voice and vision for the character, but whatever plans he had have likely been curtailed by the departure of Didio. He will no doubt continue with Legion, where he can continue to play with Superboy.

Although Waid's a bit hit or miss, when he hits, it's something really special, and, man, has he wanted to write Superman for his entire life. Give him a year or two to unload all the stuff he's got to say about the character, but pair him up with Yang or someone of equal chops who can counterbalance out Waid. I don't think having one writer do both titles is a great idea.

As for the trunks, I think they're gonna be around for a few more years before they revert to the Reborn suit again (or something similar). If it is indeed Waid taking over from Bendis, I have no idea what they'll do. Waid's a traditionalist, but he was also part of the Superman Now relaunch that intended to dump the trunks more than a decade earlier.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 09-13-2020 at 02:55 AM.

BANNED

The way superman is currently written he does come off as a gay fartboy who doesn't particularly seem like a hardass but perhaps that may change with a new writer.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    None of these was used to build a mythos around it.Maybe they even can't . They were just suits that had no meaning that isn't contrived . This is what batman's costume purpose and meaning is.
    "Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread"
    "Do you have lightweight fabric?" insinuating the ninja theme.
    "Everything about you tells a tale. Your costume. your tactics. your attitude. They all scream outrage. Despair. Vengeance"
    "theatricality and deception are foremost weapons against the uninitiated" again the ninja theme.
    Compare that to the grandiose nonsense (s= hope) and trivialising one(mom made suit). You can see how the character is lacking, the dramatic flair.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-14-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    And I kinda hope that stops. At least for Lois. I don't really care about Lana either way. Part of what makes Lois such an appealing character to me is how she practically embodies the "badass normal" trope. That's why I wasnt a big fan of her New 53 self becoming Superwoman.
    Yeah, I'm kind of over civilian characters getting superpowers at this point.

None of these was used to build a mythos around it.Maybe they even can't . They were just suits that had no meaning that isn't contrived . This is what batman's costume purpose and meaning is.

"Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread"
    "Do you have lightweight fabric?" insinuating the ninja theme.
    "Everything about you tells a tale. Your costume. your tactics. your attitude. They all scream outrage. Despair. Vengeance"
    "theatricality and deception are foremost weapons against the uninitiated" again the ninja theme.
    Compare that to the grandiose nonsense (s= hope) and trivialising one(mom made suit). You can see how the character is lacking, the dramatic flair.

Sometimes you just want your heroes to look good,not have to have meaning behind why you picked those clothes.

Sometimes you just want your heroes to look good,not have to have meaning behind why you picked those clothes.
    Sure, but clark doesn't look that good. Like at all. Tell you what, make him this.
    Make superman into kakashi then we have a deal. No meaning required. Badassery will complete everything. The real white wolf with crimson eyes. Krypto would love to have this guy as his partner. Moreover, anything that has meaning and looks badass>>>>tights with no meaning.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-14-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Sure, but clark doesn't look that good. Like at all. Tell you what, make him this.

Make superman into kakashi then we have a deal. No meaning required. Badassery will complete everything. The real white wolf with crimson eyes. Krypto would love to have this guy as his partner. Moreover, anything that has meaning and looks badass>>>>tights with no meaning.
    I think Superman can look awesome without needing to look like Kakashi. I mean, Superman with his normal look gets plenty of awesome moments so I don't see that as the problem.

Outside his Sharingan and mask Kakashi's look is just the functional Leaf look, so it's another instance of a character who makes their look seem more awesome than it is a glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Superman can look awesome without needing to look like Kakashi. I mean, Superman with his normal look gets plenty of awesome moments so I don't see that as the problem.

Outside his Sharingan and mask Kakashi's look is just the functional Leaf look, so it's another instance of a character who makes their look seem more awesome than it is a glance.
    All i am saying those(rebirth reborn) don't look good enough to build mythos around them. And sure, that's their uniform and kakashi makes it look good. The point was, Superman doesn't normally have anything that he makes look good enough to not warrant the creation of an symbolism, ambience and mystique . Especially, those posted above like rebirth, reborn.. Etc. Sure enough, there are times when guys like alex ross make superman look badass in that archaic period piece sort of way. But, in a modern way? Nope!Doesn't happen.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-13-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Superman in any look is more badass than that lol. I like him regardless of what he wears, but ideas to update it are still a good thing.

Oh snap wrong thread.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-13-2020 at 12:36 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Superman in any look is more badass than that lol. I like him regardless of what he wears, but ideas to update it are still a good thing.
    Yeah! Nope. Kakashi takes this round with one hand tied behind his back. Superman would look like a dork in every iteration trunks or no trunks. There is no competition. Superman can't beat lois at being badass. Kakashi is a billion miles away, mate.Especially, in the modern sense.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-13-2020 at 12:57 PM.

All i am saying those(rebirth reborn) don't look good enough to build mythos around them. And sure, that's their uniform and kakashi makes it look good. The point was, Superman doesn't normally have anything that he makes look good enough to not warrant the creation of an symbolism, ambience and mystique . Especially, those posted above like rebirth, reborn.. Etc. Sure enough, there are times when guys like alex ross make superman look badass in that archaic period piece sort of way. But, in a modern way? Nope!Doesn't happen.
    I think a lot of modern artists do a great job of depicting the suit in that way...Gleason, Mahnke, Reis, Marquez, etc.
    Yeah! Nope. Kakashi takes this round with one hand tied behind his back. Superman would look like a dork in every iteration trunks or no trunks. There is no competition. Superman can't beat lois at being badass. Kakashi is a billion miles away, mate.Especially, in the modern sense.
    But Supemran has plenty of bad@#$ scenes though...