Page 97 of 219 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147197 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 3272

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    i think you have hit the nail on the head, too many interesting TV shows out there now, the comic has got to be really good or it just becomes a slog
    I think the format also need to change. So many people read in trades but the dialogue and narration always recaps everything every 20-22 pages (on Netflix you can just skip recap with a tv show) and so many time I feel the end of a storyarc coming. It doesn't feel natural as a story flow when the writer is planning a 30-50 issue run (like many image series do) but they always think in terms of issues and then 5-6 issue arcs that will eventually add up as a big story.

Obviously not every series does this and some make it work if they do.

And then on top of it the fact that I just can't be amazed by crazy ideas anymore. About a decade ago I was still amused by cyborg bears attacking the Hulk on a russian satelite but that's something that will probably happen in the next movie (or something even better already happened).

And I don't even play videogames! So I'm not even as desensitized to visuals as most people are.

I wonder if they ever do a tv show of Sunstone (or something very similar) will do book still hold up? That's probably the last thing I can think of that doesn't have an alternate media version out there.

I'm going through a reading slump myself at the moment. My monthly floppy "to read" pile is getting out of control and I've got loads of books on my shelves that I haven't read and I just stare at them trying to muster up some enthusiasm to read one of them.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Incredible Member

There ARE a lot of great and interesting shows. Too many. I have read some really good stuff lately though. I just read Batman by Brian Azzarello/Risso. Really really good. Felt like an interesting take on Batman. An entire run of Batman like this would be great. Also reading the first Conan Omnibus which I am loving. Having recently gone partially digital, I have cut down on my physical purchases and am able to weed out some purchases. I was keeping up with some of the rebirth runs in deluxe form but stopped after those runs stopped.
    Re-capping well is almost an art form in itself. Not everyone does it well.

Astonishing Member

Curently i am re-reading Swamp Thing by Alan Moore Vol.1 in TPB.Read the stories waaay back and it´s my most current read.
    Before that i re-read two Hardcover editions of Spider-Man stories,my Spider-Man collection of comic books it´s the one i am trying first to complete.But i am not a completist so i am just getting the stories that i think are really good.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    There ARE a lot of great and interesting shows. Too many. I have read some really good stuff lately though. I just read Batman by Brian Azzarello/Risso. Really really good. Felt like an interesting take on Batman. An entire run of Batman like this would be great. Also reading the first Conan Omnibus which I am loving. Having recently gone partially digital, I have cut down on my physical purchases and am able to weed out some purchases. I was keeping up with some of the rebirth runs in deluxe form but stopped after those runs stopped.
    Re-capping well is almost an art form in itself. Not everyone does it well.
    Just to give some context: the only shows I've watched recently were Mindhunter, Glow and Kim's convenience.
    So none of them are exactly high concept.
    My movie diet is mixed, depending on what's coming out but other than Scary stories...none of them were very spectacle driven. I'm also watching loads of old samurai movies.

So it's not like I got overwhelmed by superhero/high concept action movies and shows.
    Digital is great btw, out of the three series I've mentioned above, two I've read on my tablet (thank Satan for that, I don't have to bother selling them).

Maybe I just need a longer break from comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Just to give some context: the only shows I've watched recently were Mindhunter, Glow and Kim's convenience.
    My movie diet is mixed, depending on what's coming out but other than Scary stories...none of them were very spectacle driven. I'm also watching loads of old samurai movies.

So it's not like I got overwhelmed by superhero/high concept action movies and shows.
    Digital is great btw, out of the three series I've mentioned above, two I've read on my tablet (thank Satan for that, I don't have to bother selling them).

I barely read comics for about 4 months, mostly some books, and now I'm back with a passion
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post

I haven't even seen Avengers endgame. That's how lazy I am in getting around to watching superhero movies these days. I have been watching the Expanse this past week (which is pretty great). I am reading like 5 things at the moment. I switch around. I can't just read 40 issues straight of something before I move on no matter how good it is. I find I will get bored of almost anything that way.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Just finished Nemesis by Millar and McNiven. Not awful, but it seems more interested in violent spectacle than real storytelling. So '90s it hurts.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    Just finished Nemesis by Millar and McNiven. Not awful, but it seems more interested in violent spectacle than real storytelling. So '90s it hurts.
    I enjoyed it when it came out, but it’s hardly a must-read.

My copy of the first Dreadstar Omnibus arrived, so i've started on that

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    My copy of the first Dreadstar Omnibus arrived, so i've started on that
    Oh cool! I'm waiting for the set of three but it has to be shipped to Europe so I guess it'll still be a while before it arrives.

How well is the book put together if I may ask?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Doing a big Marvel Hickman Read-A-Thon:

Secret Warriors Omnibus
    SHIELD The Human Machine
    SHIELD Architects of Forever
    Fantastic Four Omnibus 1
    Fantastic Four Omnibus 2
    Ultimate Thor
    Ultimates 1
    Ultimate Hawkeye
    Ultimates 2
    Avengers Omnibus 1
    Avengers Omnibus 2
    Secret Wars

Started yesterday and am already halfway through his Secret Warriors Omnibus. Loving it so far, can never get enough of Nick Fury and Hydra etc. This omnibus contains quite some elements that were used in the Agents of Shield TV series.

Before I finish the omnibus, I may actually read the SHIELD books in between. I heard that there are references to SHIELD in the second half of the Secret Warriors omnibus.

Since that post above, I have read the Secret Warriors Omnibus, SHIELD The Human Machine, SHIELD Architects of Forever, Fantastic Four Omnibus 1 and 2, Ultimate Thor, Ultimates 1 and Ultimate Hawkeye. The way Hickman tells long stories and weaves threads and themes in and out is really quite impressive. Until now, the Fantastic Four run was the highlight. Will finish the Ultimates 2 tonight and then dive into his Avengers run.

Oh cool! I'm waiting for the set of three but it has to be shipped to Europe so I guess it'll still be a while before it arrives.

How well is the book put together if I may ask?
    Seems decent. A bit of cracking when i first opened it, but cant see any issue with the spine. Pages are thick stock.

Im in the UK and got mine last friday. I only ordered the first vol up front, but it came with a note stating that the other vols will be shipped out when they arrive from the printers, for those that ordered them. Unless you request everything be shipped together?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Seems decent. A bit of cracking when i first opened it, but cant see any issue with the spine. Pages are thick stock.

Im in the UK and got mine last friday. I only ordered the first vol up front, but it came with a note stating that the other vols will be shipped out when they arrive from the printers, for those that ordered them. Unless you request everything be shipped together?
    Hi, thanks for your answer, that's reassuring. I have actually asked to send everything together already before they announced that they would do that because I did not want to deal with customs 3 times... Did you receive any notice that it had been shipped or did it just suddenly arrive?

Hi, thanks for your answer, that's reassuring. I have actually asked to send everything together already before they announced that they would do that because I did not want to deal with customs 3 times... Did you receive any notice that it had been shipped or did it just suddenly arrive?
    Nothing specific to me. (Unless i missed it) Just the general update saying orders were shipping a few weeks back.