Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Classic art by Martin Nodell from Green Lantern #9 (Fall, 1943).

Last edited by Electricmastro; 09-25-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Could any Golden Age experts explain how Alan's powers evolved from the early days? I've only read a handful of Golden Age Green Lantern stories, but it seems like the idea of using the ring to create constructs came much, much later.

What could and couldn't the ring do in those stories and when did things start to change?

Thanks!

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Classic page from Green Lantern #9 (Fall, 1943).

Pretty cool.

A few small things are interesting. It's funny how they describe the green energy as alien energy when Alan uses magic and only later with Hal it became alien.

I see Alan has the famous GL oath. I thought that originated with Hal. And I like when they describe Alan in the last panel as an emerald and crimson clad. Not used to reading the crimson part. Lol.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Pretty cool.

A few small things are interesting. It's funny how they describe the green energy as alien energy when Alan uses magic and only later with Hal it became alien.

I see Alan has the famous GL oath. I thought that originated with Hal. And I like when they describe Alan in the last panel as an emerald and crimson clad. Not used to reading the crimson part. Lol.
    I had never seen Alan recite that oath - I'm guessing when Hal showed up they decided that Alan's should be different? ("And I shall shed my light over dark evil/ For dark things cannot stand the light/ The light of The Green Lantern") But I don't really know. When was it changed?

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I had never seen Alan recite that oath - I'm guessing when Hal showed up they decided that Alan's should be different? ("And I shall shed my light over dark evil/ For dark things cannot stand the light/ The light of The Green Lantern") But I don't really know. When was it changed?
    I've never seen Alan say that oath either. The "And I shall she'd my light" was Alan's original oath.

I guess they came up with the famous one for Alan and then when they introduced Hal they decided to use that one for him and when Alan came back further down the line to give Alan his old one to distinguish them.

Interesting stuff.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Pretty cool.

Yep, which would make that particular oath almost 80 years old, even I think it's more associated with Hal. I don't think he said it anywhere else in his run though.