View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars! Amazing issue!

38 55.88%
  • 4 Stars! Great, but not perfect...

19 27.94%
  • 3 Stars! Average issue.

5 7.35%
  • 2 Stars. I've read better.

6 8.82%
  • 1 Star. I hated it!

0 0%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I liked the other issues of the origin. I've been critical of The Lies. But this one? This issue was amazing.
    One of the aspects I'm enjoying is how the Year One storyline is making me like The Lies better than I did on first read. In an era where one of the primary complaints about comics is price point vs entertainment value, being able to deliver a beautiful book that's cheaper than most of the competition's offerings and ads reread value to another already serviceable story is a really nice bonus.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I dont know if I am a fan of Diana being gifted by the Gods so late in life while she is in a jail cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Oh, I do have a quibble. Why would Diana start talking to Etta as if she expects her to understand what she's saying?
    I think she was just excited because Etta was female. All the other officers and agents she was dealing with before then had been males, so she had the thought, however misguided, that she'd be able to communicate with a "sister'.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I dont know if I am a fan of Diana being gifted by the Gods so late in life while she is in a jail cell.
    I agree. WTH was that?!?

Incredible Member

Not sure about the new origin though I really like the previous daughter of Zeus angle. I just hope she's not back to her fluctuating invulnerability/strength.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Love this book!

I've always had a little trouble really getting into Wonder Woman, but this book is really helping me along with very little issue. This book along with Superman, New Super-Man, Deathstroke, and All Star Batman lead the pack for DC's Rebirth, in my eyes.

Bring on the next issue!

I'm most curious about who was in attendance and what gifts were given. Obviously Aphrodite Hera Hephaestus Hermes and Athena were there. Was the stag Artemis? The other bird...Zeus or Ares? I'm guessing Zeus. But I'd really like to know who gave what.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    I agree. WTH was that?!?
    It's even more interesting when you factor in that they are insisting that "Year One" is not any sort of a "Bait And Switch".

Quote Originally Posted by Bound4olympus View Post
    I'm most curious about who was in attendance and what gifts were given. Obviously Aphrodite Hera Hephaestus Hermes and Athena were there. Was the stag Artemis? The other bird...Zeus or Ares? I'm guessing Zeus. But I'd really like to know who gave what.
    Didn't Diana name all who were there?

Athena / owl
    Artemis / deer
    Hera / peacock
    Demeter
    Hephaestus / mouse
    Aphrodite / dove
    Hermes /tortoise

There is some confusion though, because there's an eagle, right? I don't think that symbolizes Demeter.
    Last edited by Largo161; 09-14-2016 at 08:23 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Athena / owl
    Artemis / deer
    Hera / peacock
    Demeter
    Hephaestus / mouse
    Aphrodite / dove
    Hermes /tortoise

There is some confusion though, because there's an eagle, right? I don't think that symbolizes Demeter.
    Eagles are Zeus' animal symbol. Demeter is strongly associated with horses.

Haven't gotten a chance to get to my LCS yet, but this issue sounds like it may be the best yet in a run where EVERY new issue is "the best yet."
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Athena / owl
    Artemis / deer
    Hera / peacock
    Demeter
    Hephaestus / mouse
    Aphrodite / dove
    Hermes /tortoise

I thought the eagle was Zeus.

The undefined powers are interesting because they leave the door open to a lot. It throws the whole stronger than Hercules, swifter than Hermes, wise as Athena, beautiful as Aphrodite thing into question. Thanks to Athena is Diana suddenly going to be able to quickly learn English like she did in Perez's run?

The Perfect being only as true as the heart that wields it is another added layer and there was no mention of it being able to force others to obey, or tell the truth. It's also depicted as a whip sometimes, but not others. It's hard to believe the Navy would have let her keep it if it was a visible weapon.

It was nice to get confirmation on the Purple Ray's abilities though, as well as the strength of Amazon technology. We have our out sci-fi Amazons back again and the only word to describe that, and this issue, is wonderful!
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 09-14-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    * More naked Steve!
    No complaints here! (Guy Gardner spends a good deal of time naked in HJ & the GLC this week, including a back-and-forth with Sinestro that brought to mind George Costanza's "shrinkage!" concerns.)

From RealWonderman, below:

So far, animal Gods instead of humanoid...love it!
    If you're going to do non-standard visual representations of the Greek gods, I much prefer this over the Elder Gods style of the Azzarello run.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Not so much animal gods as the gods "rode" animals.

Just reread the issue, and holy cats, is it so gorgeous, emotionally and visually. Though Diana's face in turned-away-profile is the wonky art I was thinking of in my first post, the whole build-up to "they gave me gifts" was luminous, and the reveal was a fist-pumping moment of awe (or wonder, heh heh). The montage of Diana in the cell and Steve breaking the news to his friend's wife and daughter was so masterfully done - and a clear parallel to the last issue, of Steve and his friend contrasted with Diana growing up.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Hermes appeared as a tortoise. Silly, ironic god! . Could the dove be Ares, at this point?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post
    Hermes appeared as a tortoise. Silly, ironic god! . Could the dove be Ares, at this point?
    Strange as it seems, the tortoise really is one of Hermes' symbols. He fashioned the first lyre from a tortoise shell.

The dove is definitely Aphrodite's bird. Ares would be a wolf or raven. Although, the dove may be Harmonia, since she's an Amazon patron this time.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--