Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Amazing Spider-Man #299 Apr 1988
    First appearance (and cameo on the last page) by Venom!

Script by David Michelinie. Pencils by Todd McFarlane. Inks by Bob McLeod.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday David Michelinie!!!

Venom Lethal Protector #3 Apr 1993
    A Verdict of Violence
    The families of Venom's victims unite, vowing to kill him.

Spider-Man's hot on Venom's trail, too,

while secrets are revealed about Eddie Brock's past.

Written by David Michelinie http://www.comicsreporter.com/index....d_michelinie1/. Art by Mark Bagley, Sam de la Rosa and Al Milgrom.

Happy 30th Birthday Venom!!!

Belated happy birthday to David Michelinie and happy 30th Venom!

aah, Lethal Protector #3. It started off with some important stuff but never stuck around sadly. We get better context to Eddie's past and see how his father influenced him and possibly explains why he, a pretty good journalist, was way too focused on getting the Sin Eater story out the way he did and then Orwell Taylor and the Jury. Fantastic foils that never fought Eddie again. I hope they make a comeback someday.
    Voice Actor and Symbiote Fanatic -- Hoping for Anti-Venom's return daily.

Astonishing Member

Guys, considering how the new movie from Sony seems to aim that Venom's world get an "indepence" from Spider-Man's universe, do you think we should start thinking about removing Venom (and maybe all the symbiotes) from Spider-Man's foes gallery? Personally, I think it would be a waste, because Venom (and later Carnage) truly won the place in Spider-Man's top enemies. Also, we can't ignore the origin of Spider-Man's black suit.

But all things considered, it seems they truly want the character of Venom to evolve outside of Spider-Man's shadow; and be something more than just a psycho obsessed with Spider-Man destruction, just like Norman Osborn.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Guys, considering how the new movie from Sony seems to aim that Venom's world get an "indepence" from Spider-Man's universe, do you think we should start thinking about removing Venom (and maybe all the symbiotes) from Spider-Man's foes gallery? Personally, I think it would be a waste, because Venom (and later Carnage) truly won the place in Spider-Man's top enemies. Also, we can't ignore the origin of Spider-Man's black suit.

But all things considered, it seems they truly want the character of Venom to evolve outside of Spider-Man's shadow; and be something more than just a psycho obsessed with Spider-Man destruction, just like Norman Osborn.
    I don't think Venom or Carnage, or many of the other symbiotes for that matter, are going anywhere, especially with the movie coming down the line.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

MAYBE Carnage and the other symbiotes should spread out amongst the rest of the Marvel universe. Honestly the only reason Carnage is considered a Spidey villain is because when he first showed up Spidey yelled out "DIBS!!!" and hunted him down. Carnage doesn't care about Pete one way or another. He'd be just as content screwing around with Captain America or the X-Men or even just murdering helpless civilians...

Venom on the other hand? If the question is ever 'Should we ignore his origins.... ' My answer is ALWAYS no. Spider-man and Venom are as linked as Batman and Nightwing. The history is what MAKES a character.

Everyone else?? Let them go about their business and whatever hero stumbles across them that week is as good as any other :P

I think we can't ignore where he came from. But I honestly don't consider Venom a foe anymore. The comics have made it painfully clear that Eddie has buried the hatchet. Peter is still a dick to him currently, but it's not like it was in the 90s. Eddie is currently just doing his own thing and trying to survive. I say it's about damn time.

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    I think we can't ignore where he came from. But I honestly don't consider Venom a foe anymore. The comics have made it painfully clear that Eddie has buried the hatchet. Peter is still a dick to him currently, but it's not like it was in the 90s. Eddie is currently just doing his own thing and trying to survive. I say it's about damn time.
    I agree. I love Eddie's origins as a foe, but I like the character journey and I haven't thought of Eddie and the symbiote as being an enemy for a while. Eddie forgave Spidey in New Ways to Live when he saved a selfless old man, they got some respect for each other in exposing Mr. Negative and Spider Island. There's been some backpeddling on Spidey's part due to Eddie stealing the symbiote, but Eddie , outside of being annoyed at his involvement in Venom Inc. seems fine to not swear vengeance.

My fears were Eddie would regress, but that hasn't been the case. I'm fine with Eddie and his writers remembering where he comes from, but I want Eddie to keep evolving. I want Eddie to have non-spidey and evil symbiote foes and try new angles. An occasional team up or rivalry with Spidey is fine, but with the recent crossovers, they don't need to do that for quite a while in my opinion.
    Voice Actor and Symbiote Fanatic -- Hoping for Anti-Venom's return daily.

Venom #1 goes to second printing after selling 200k copies.. that's really impressive!!

Here's the cover:

Quote Originally Posted by Imago View Post
    Venom #1 goes to second printing after selling 200k copies.. that's really impressive!!

Here's the cover:

I was surprised at that number. I'm curious what led to that level of interest. Is it the film? A name artist like Stegman?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I was surprised at that number. I'm curious what led to that level of interest. Is it the film? A name artist like Stegman?
    I've also heard that Cates' books tend to sell very well.

So I’ve never been a solo Venom fan before........ but I just read issue 1 and holy crap it was amazing. I picked it up solely because of Cates, who happened to go to college in my city and apparently at one time worked in my LCS! I will definitely be continuing this series.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

You know, after "Venomized", Cletus Cassidy seems to be permanently turned into a Poison; which leaves Carnage's symbiote without its prime host. Do you think Norman Osborn will stay as the new Carnage for a long time? Honestly, he as the new Carnage seems more promising than the whole "Red Goblin".

You know, after "Venomized", Cletus Cassidy seems to be permanently turned into a Poison; which leaves Carnage's symbiote without its prime host. Do you think Norman Osborn will stay as the new Carnage for a long time? Honestly, he as the new Carnage seems more promising than the whole "Red Goblin".
    If Norman keeps the symbiote long-term I'm sure he'll simply remain Red Goblin rather than become a second, more typical version of Carnage.

PS Unlike with Eddie and the Venom Symbiote I feel permanently separating Cletus from the Carnage Symbiote is a bad creative choice, assuming they go in that direction. Unlike Eddie who was given loads of, sadly retconned, character development leading up to his split from the Venom Symbiote, Cletus was given no such backstory to his own separation. And now they turn around and make Cletus a "Poison" instead, like what the hell!? Why not just let him regain his own symbiote? The whole concept seems ill thought out and frankly stupid.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-17-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."