Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Justice is turning out to be my favorite followed by Sungirl. I'm really enjoying this series, and actually this would be the first New Warriors that I've read. Suggestions for previous issues of this series would be appreciated.
    A few posts up I mentioned issue 1-26 of the first volume (1990) being an awesome run. It was released in an omnibus a little while back, but you can probably pick up the single issues for about a buck a piece. It was a series that was doomed to fail because it was just a bunch of odd teen characters that previously had nothing to do with each other, but it succeeded because Fabian Nicieza cared about the characters and Mark Bagley (in his first monthly gig...I think) drew the hell out of it.

If you are a Justice fan you will love his character arc in those issues.

star lost was also a great arc in vol.1

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Err, Angel, Beak and Jubilee are hardly angst machines.

The real problem is that the entire cast was made up of minority-metaphors characters (who lost their metaphor status, true), while the Registration Act, though much abused, was about choice. And no one chooses their ethnic identity.

The use of characters was logical yes, but logic isn't always the best tool of story telling.

it might have been logical if they had used recognizable characters. instead they just picked ex-mutants from a hat. there wasn't any Chamber in Decibel. there wasn't any Angel in Tempest. they might as well have created brand new non-mutants and filled in their backstories, later. and i don't know what they were thinking with (more or less) turning Doneyll into Dwayne (and trying to imply that he's the better version). out of everything they did, that hurt the most. because they clearly used Dwayne's status as bait. there would be no other reason to have donyell in a wheelchair for the first issue and then showing Night Thrasher's suit with the legs blown off of it. so lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
    it might have been logical if they had used recognizable characters. instead they just picked ex-mutants from a hat. there wasn't any Chamber in Decibel. there wasn't any Angel in Tempest. they might as well have created brand new non-mutants and filled in their backstories, later. and i don't know what they were thinking with (more or less) turning Doneyll into Dwayne (and trying to imply that he's the better version). out of everything they did, that hurt the most. because they clearly used Dwayne's status as bait. there would be no other reason to have donyell in a wheelchair for the first issue and then showing Night Thrasher's suit with the legs blown off of it. so lame.
    They did string that out too long , and most of your criticsm is fair..i just ended up liking Donyell from it..i thought the search for his brother and the angst about his bro gave the character a newfound dimension that took NT to a new levels. I dont at all agree he was portrayed as bumbling..if anything with him stealing all the FF and Avengers tech and designing those power suits and upgrading his armor..he seemed extremely competant and formidable.

KG is a new warriors fan and loved NT..using the mutants was not a first choice and it showed.

Also..the art, including medinas work and those painted covers was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    I loved it also. Darick Robertson was a great replacement for Mark Bagley. The Poison Memories arc is still one of my favorites.

Peace

BANNED

They did string that out too long , and most of your criticsm is fair..i just ended up liking Donyell from it..i thought the search for his brother and the angst about his bro gave the character a newfound dimension that took NT to a new levels. I dont at all agree he was portrayed as bumbling..if anything with him stealing all the FF and Avengers tech and designing those power suits and upgrading his armor..he seemed extremely competant and formidable.

that's my point. he wasn't bumbling. the implication was that he was better than Dwayne. they made Donyell a copy of Dwayne; gave him his appearance and skillset (since when was he an engineer?). and they left the image of Dwayne as some idiot who got killed while doing a reality tv show. Dwayne was trained to be a survivor. that was his backstory. they just added in that Donyell had that same training. and that makes absolutely no sense when you look at how he was introduced and his motive for coming after his brother. when i look at him, i just see Dwayne being sacrificed so some 90s dreadlocked bandana-wearing mutant-because-it's-cool-now loser could steal his life. even talking about it makes me angry.

look at this mort! http://worldofblackheroes.files.word...l-bandit-2.jpg
    it's like the message they wanted to drive home was that an educated self-sufficient black hero isn't believable. so let's introduce a more "relateable" hood character. let's call him 'Bandit' to emphasize that he's from the streets. and, what the hell, let's give him a crossbow. wtf?! Donyell, i hate your face!!
    Last edited by Ant-manic; 05-07-2014 at 02:24 PM.

BANNED

I am (reluctantly) going to give Sam props for his stepping up in the most recent issue of the New series. ("I AM the help!"). Still not Rich, but not a complete NINO I guess. Sun Girl is (surprisingly enough) the character I'm enjoying most. She's basically a tech version of Firestar but with Vance's pre-Stamford personality.

Vance, on the other hand, needs to grow a pair now, it seems.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarioHerald View Post
    i have a feeling it will sink this book folks waiting on the trade..

Possibly, but I think the trade comes out in July collecting the first six issues. And I think you can pre-order it now already (thus helping the comic to continue past #12).

Or am I mistaken? Does it get cheaper if one were to pre-order it? If so, what are the possible channels to preorder it?

It seems it is already available on Amazon at $13.94, (though it says it will be released on September 9 on that site): http://www.amazon.com/New-Warriors-K...dp/0785154531/
    They're getting better about getting trades out faster (All New X-Men for instance has had 4-5 by now on a book less than 3 years or so old).

Still don't like trades though when I can help it...monthlies need the support.

Quote Originally Posted by MarioHerald View Post
    No word so far from Yost, but he says he wouldn't be surprised if Silhouette appears (and maybe Firestar).
    Supposedly in an interview, either Yost or Breevort (sp?) said that Nita has a strong influence on the title, even if she doesn't show up.

Interestingly, in issue 3, the new Atlantean character invokes the name of Kymaera (Nita's self-chosen code name) saying that she (the new girl) had "failed her"...

Best story arc in comics PERIOD: "The Trial of Vance Astrovik".
    Last edited by ShadowDemon; 05-07-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDemon View Post
    I am (reluctantly) going to give Sam props for his stepping up in the most recent issue of the New series. ("I AM the help!"). Still not Rich, but not a complete NINO I guess. Sun Girl is (surprisingly enough) the character I'm enjoying most. She's basically a tech version of Firestar but with Vance's pre-Stamford personality.

Vance, on the other hand, needs to grow a pair now, it seems.
    I've actually only enjoyed Sam in these New Warriors issues. My favorite characters are Scarlet Spider and Humming Bird. She cracks me up at the end.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

BANNED

I'm the same way about Sam. My LCS guy let me "shelf sample" one of his solo trades and I just was not impressed at all.

But in this new NW series the character is starting to grow on me, if just a little.

Scarlet Spider, OTOH, is a jerk-ass punk. (No offense to you.)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDemon View Post
    I'm the same way about Sam. My LCS guy let me "shelf sample" one of his solo trades and I just was not impressed at all.

But in this new NW series the character is starting to grow on me, if just a little.

Scarlet Spider, OTOH, is a jerk-ass punk. (No offense to you.)
    He's just grumpy
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

that's my point. he wasn't bumbling. the implication was that he was better than Dwayne. they made Donyell a copy of Dwayne; gave him his appearance and skillset (since when was he an engineer?). and they left the image of Dwayne as some idiot who got killed while doing a reality tv show. Dwayne was trained to be a survivor. that was his backstory. they just added in that Donyell had that same training. and that makes absolutely no sense when you look at how he was introduced and his motive for coming after his brother. when i look at him, i just see Dwayne being sacrificed so some 90s dreadlocked bandana-wearing mutant-because-it's-cool-now loser could steal his life. even talking about it makes me angry.

look at this mort! http://worldofblackheroes.files.word...l-bandit-2.jpg
    it's like the message they wanted to drive home was that an educated self-sufficient black hero isn't believable. so let's introduce a more "relateable" hood character. let's call him 'Bandit' to emphasize that he's from the streets. and, what the hell, let's give him a crossbow. wtf?! Donyell, i hate your face!!
    Good points, but Ive got to be consistant...I liked how KG at least acknowledged the horridly out of character Dwayne was written by Zeb Wells and Mark Millar...I agree with all your points there...i wish KG could have undone that death and the out of character...you could tell by KGs writing i think it bothered him too! So I can't roast bendis for forgetting any past continuity and not roast KG if he did it for that. I hated how Wells mocked the NW in his mini...made even worse by Millar making NT go out like such a chump. KG acknowledged it becuase he had to..again supposedly some strict editorial stuff went on here.

It is true that Donyell advanced to be maybe even better than Dwayne...but he DID show that Dwayne was in charge of everything in an alternate reality and Iron Man in that reality...so that was some respect for Dwayne's mind (and potential) as well...even though it kinda disrespected Dwayne's morals...which were somewhat questionable at times (dropped poor Richie off that building after all)

I did think these arcs were well thought out...and i did get over how much Bandit sucked and now was pretty awesome...in short , things are what they are. I think there's room for both Donyell and Dwayne going forward. Part of me wonders if maybe Dwayne is the new Deathlok as well..Preview shows a train going to "Stamford" in a possible signal?
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 05-07-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I'm really liking this incarnation of the group with the exception of Scarlet Spider. Just a little too surly. But the writing is fun and the art is amazing as always from the amazing Marcus To.
    Sun Girl is making a good impression so far, but horned toad boy or what ever his name is is not yet. But there's more than enough here to keep me coming back next month.

Ultimate Member

Well, they did use a few big name ex-mutants, like Beak, Jubilee, and Chamber. And IMO, every single member of the cast could have easily justified their membership on the team.

The problem is that, taken as a whole, it was pretty weak, because the motivations were all different (money, personal ideals, experience, etc) and there wasn't any time for focus.

Imagine a book set in the civil rights era, and the entire freakin' cast is white. That's what the problem with Kevin G's Warriors was, IMO. The editors dealt him a crap hand, and gave him a cast that didn't fit his series concept.

That's why Thrasher took up so much space, IMO. Because he was the only guy who really fit!

BANNED

Good points, but Ive got to be consistant...I liked how KG at least acknowledged the horridly out of character Dwayne was written by Zeb Wells and Mark Millar...I agree with all your points there...i wish KG could have undone that death and the out of character...you could tell by KGs writing i think it bothered him too! So I can't roast bendis for forgetting any past continuity and not roast KG if he did it for that. I hated how Wells mocked the NW in his mini...made even worse by Millar making NT go out like such a chump. KG acknowledged it becuase he had to..again supposedly some strict editorial stuff went on here.

It is true that Donyell advanced to be maybe even better than Dwayne...but he DID show that Dwayne was in charge of everything in an alternate reality and Iron Man in that reality...so that was some respect for Dwayne's mind (and potential) as well...even though it kinda disrespected Dwayne's morals...which were somewhat questionable at times (dropped poor Richie off that building after all)

I did think these arcs were well thought out...and i did get over how much Bandit sucked and now was pretty awesome...in short , things are what they are. I think there's room for both Donyell and Dwayne going forward. Part of me wonders if maybe Dwayne is the new Deathlok as well..Preview shows a train going to "Stamford" in a possible signal?

great. that sounds even more depressing. i don't want to be a complainer. but it's like they are going out of their way to disappoint me. i've never been interested in resurrected corpses or deathloks. it's a visual that i just don't like. plus it would mean that he's controlled by someone else. the entire appeal was that his skill was his own. he was raised to be on the level of superhumans w/o necessarily being a superhuman. Tai and Chord are dead. i don't want Dwayne to be a tool of others anymore. *sigh* @#$** you Donyell!!