Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Will do! Just confused because I always thought Action should be 1st/SM 2nd...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    Will do! Just confused because I always thought Action should be 1st/SM 2nd...
    That's what it was like when the New 52 launched. Action Comics took place in the past, and then it eventually caught up to the present as to when Superman was happening. Then starting with Truth, Superman was taking place in the past and Action Comics was taking place in the future by a few weeks.

Superman should eventually catch up Action Comics.

I'm digging the identity reveal and I hope they don't put it back in the bottle any time soon but I think they could have done it without the power loss. It felt like one trouble too many.

It's obviously a big enough conflict that if you're publishing four or five Superman books they all need to address it but if anything I would have cut it down to two or three main Superman books. The only book that is really dealing with JimBat is Batman with other books featuring him as a guest star. Whereas in Superman you have to kind of read multiple books to get the complete picture.

I think there's a great story there with it but DC hasn't quite cracked it yet.

Incredible Member

I'm glad he's fully powered and suited in JL and JLA, at least.

Im still enjoying it.

Im ready for this particular arc to end, but the power levels and identity being outed can remain in play for as long as it needs to. Im quite ready to be done with HORDR and the Suicide Squad and the mystery of "why" and "who" and everything else, but Im quite enjoying the shakeup and have no desire to quickly return to the same old same old.

We all know that, sooner or later, everything will return to normal. Why be in such a rush to get back to reading the exact same stories we've been reading for decades? Let's explore the current situation for a while, knowing that it will never stay in effect long-term and safe in the knowledge that the all mighty status quo will always reassert itself.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I'm super-sick of it. too long, it should had stayed only on superman and action. Also many forced characterizations, including superman.

I heard from a guy that was at convention, that DC has a mandate to make superman eventually go back at clark kent identity next year. Just like what bleeding cool claimed. clark kent was barely developped to make a impact on new 52.

I'd argue with that. Clark Kent hasnt been so important to the mythos for years. Morrison did an amazing job with Clark, and Lobdell did a lot of Clark-centric stuff, even if editorial did hamstring him.

The entire TRUTH story has been about Clark and what happens when that safety net is removed; what Clark brings to the table and how Kal is affected by his identity being outed.

And of course the secret ID will be brought back. Thats the nature of the industry. Changes dont last and the status quo is forever.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

When push comes to shove Clark Kent should take a backseat to Superman anyway. The Clark Kent identity had its time in the sun in being pushed over the Superman identity for arguably almost two decades, which is two decades longer than it should have gone on considering that its counter to the entire Superman concept. So if anything less focus on the Clark identity these days is more than justified. That's not saying that side of him is not important nor that it should be gone entirely. But at the end of the day the titles have always been called Superman, Action Comics featuring Superman, Adventures of Superman, etc. Not Clark Kent and Action Comics featuring Clark Kent.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-16-2015 at 02:31 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    When push comes to shove Clark Kent should take a backseat to Superman anyway. The Clark Kent identity had its time in the sun in being pushed over the Superman identity for arguably almost two decades, which is two decades longer than it should have gone on considering that its counter to the entire Superman concept. So if anything less focus on the Clark identity these days is more than justified. That's not saying that side of him is not important nor that it should be gone entirely. But at the end of the day the titles have always been called Superman, Action Comics featuring Superman, Adventures of Superman, etc. Not Clark Kent and Action Comics featuring Clark Kent.
    This.

And lets be honest here, Clark was sidelined a long time ago. Reign of Doomsday? No Clark. Black Ring? No Clark (or Superman for that matter). Grounded? No Clark. War of the Supermen and New Krypton? No Clark. Most of those stories barely had him show up for a couple panels, much less focused on him in a meaningful way. We had a small moment after John Kent died at the end of Brainiac. Other than that, the last time I can remember where Clark actively played an important role in the story was......Last Son maybe? And that was what, 2006?

Oh, also, in my post above where I mentioned some of the Clark-centric things that have happened lately, I totally forgot to mention the American Alien mini by Landis that is about to start.

Seems to me that Clark is getting plenty of attention these days. But some people will complain no matter what, even when they have to make stuff up in order to do it.

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

I'm liking it so far.
    I think the main thing that sustain Truth is that its a DC-style Mystery Story. Its not just about beating the X menace, or the bad guy. Its a story about questions:
    - How Hordr_ROOT found out about Superman's secret identity?
    - Who is making Superman life hell, and why? We already know the who, or most of them anyway.
    - Why Lois revealed the secret? (we already know, and IMHO the reason sucked)
    - Why Superman lost so much of his powers?
    - How does this connect with Batman/Superman annual #2?
    - Why Superman cannot access the Fortress?
    - How will Superman fix this mess?

I do wonder if Truth would't have made more sense with the bigger, older, richer universe of the Pre-Flashpoint DCU.
    Remembe

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't mind the concept of TRUTH at all, but man oh man is it being poorly executed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Im still enjoying it.

Im ready for this particular arc to end, but the power levels and identity being outed can remain in play for as long as it needs to. Im quite ready to be done with HORDR and the Suicide Squad and the mystery of "why" and "who" and everything else, but Im quite enjoying the shakeup and have no desire to quickly return to the same old same old.

We all know that, sooner or later, everything will return to normal. Why be in such a rush to get back to reading the exact same stories we've been reading for decades? Let's explore the current situation for a while, knowing that it will never stay in effect long-term and safe in the knowledge that the all mighty status quo will always reassert itself.
    I agree with this. I think it seems more tiresome than it is because all the Superman books (Action, Superman, S/WW, B/S) are dealing with virtually the same plot, and it's developing a bit slowly. It actually reminds me of Hickman's slow boil on his stories for the Avengers and New Avengers, only more tightly focused on one character. So far it seems like the events of Superman precede those of Action, then Superman/Wonder Woman, and finally Batman/Superman -- and when I've re-read them that way it's pretty enjoyable. Of course I want to find out how all these subplots fall into place -- and I'm sure they will -- but at the moment I'm really enjoying this, much more than the sorts of mini-events that dominated the books the past 2-3 years (Doomed, H'el, etc).

Yeah, I think this is easily the best Event the Super-titles have had since the reboot. Most of them either have no soul at all, which makes the bigger than life threats feel shallow (H'el) or they're too inconsistent and still somehow fail to capture any sense of true urgency (DOOMED). TRUTH has had some brilliant moments and scenes, and while it's not the smoothest ride out there, at least each title's particular plot has consistency because it's being handled in one title, rather than each new chapter being done by different people.

I also think the creators are much more invested than they have been before. Pak's quality really dropped during DOOMED, but he's putting out the same level of quality in TRUTH that we're used to from him. This feels more like a story that evolved organically, and less like an editorially enforced Event everyone else has to go with.

~ Black Panther.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    I'm liking it so far.
    I think the main thing that sustain Truth is that its a DC-style Mystery Story. Its not just about beating the X menace, or the bad guy. Its a story about questions:
    - How Hordr_ROOT found out about Superman's secret identity?
    - Who is making Superman life hell, and why? We already know the who, or most of them anyway.
    - Why Lois revealed the secret? (we already know, and IMHO the reason sucked)
    - Why Superman lost so much of his powers?
    - How does this connect with Batman/Superman annual #2?
    - Why Superman cannot access the Fortress?
    - How will Superman fix this mess?

I do wonder if Truth would't have made more sense with the bigger, older, richer universe of the Pre-Flashpoint DCU.
    Remembe
    It certainly would have had more impact had it occured within the continuity of the previous DCU. The already high stakes would have been even higher Given Martha Kent was still alive , Kon and Kara were living with her, Lana Lang and Pete Ross had a child that would have been in danger and of course Lois being married to Clark and the ramifications for her next of kin.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

I just finished reading both Action and SM up to #43 and BM/SM #25. I must say I am not sick of this story line in the least. I am actually quite lovin' it!

I think it is just fantastic (especially SM and Action). I am so excited to read the next couple of issues I have to catch me up to date.

Right now I would say that this story line is destroying the JimBat story line. I hope this story line goes on for a couple of years!!!