Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Let me think...how many sets of parents have Wanda and Pietro had over the last 40 years?

Extraordinary Member

You know it surprises me how few Marvel characters I can think of who have been really hurt by origin tweaks. (Even Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, with their 900 different parents, haven't really been hurt that badly by any of the retcons; it's more irritating than damaging.) Compared to DC, where origin changes have seriously hurt characters or even entire franchises like the Legion of Super-Heroes.

I suppose that's because Marvel has resisted the temptation to do a full DC-style reset of any of their major franchises, so the changes are usually about adding or subtracting stuff and not making it impossible for earlier stories to have happened the way we read them.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Let me think...how many sets of parents have Wanda and Pietro had over the last 40 years?
    1. Django and Marya Maximoff
    2. The Whizzer and Miss America
    3. Magneto and Magda
    4. Natalya Maximoff and an unknown father, making Django and Marya their maternal uncle and aunt.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    (Even Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, with their 900 different parents, haven't really been hurt that badly by any of the retcons; it's more irritating than damaging.)
    Well, it does destroy the whole point of the House of M event. In the actual version, Wanda and Pietro just made up an entire reality ruled by a man that isn't even their father, and then depowered 90% of mutantkind because of a huge misunderstanding lol.
    Last edited by nandes; 09-23-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Mighty Member

Not a fan of origin changes. Period. Sometimes leaving things alone is the best thing you can do.

Miles Morales to a degree

DarkHawk

The JMS run didn't change Peter's origin it just added some nuance for that story arc. At the time it was a pretty rad run. That was different and a little gritty at time. I think people enjoyed it because it was well written and didn't follow the general Spider-Man formula that we've seen in the last two runs. I expect to see Morlun in the MCU eventually
    The J-man

Astonishing Member

Spider-Man origin change to a mystical origin in JMS run.That totally contraticts the more scientific origin of Spider-Man.
    I donīt think that a super hero that have already a great origin by the creator should had a new origin with some totem mystical narrative that have nothing to do with the original story of how Peter Parker got the Spider-Man powers.

BANNED

The Ray is now totally messed up in DC. Marvel's timelines are so mixed up I can't really sort them out, but the one I would just remove is Valeria from the FF.

I know this is a Marvel forum, but I would say that Wonder Woman got the worst retcon of all.

Carol Danvers' origin is actually being retconned right now in Life of Captain Marvel. Let's see how this ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Iron Man wasn't broken
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Iron man being adopted is one thing.
    However the biggest problem with it was Tony's proposed actual origins in that he was really the son of some British rockstar and his dad was a Hydra agent. It makes the universe feel smaller if Tony is the son of an agent, who is also agent of one of the most prolific supervillain organizations in comics. Not to mention we also got no mention as to why Howard and Maria simply didn't try again. It's not that hard to explain, and nothing in the original story said that they couldn't.

International Iron man is a D-list Iron man book and the actual origins do not help it.

Morlun's actual origin is interesting at first, but suddenly raises a thousand questions.
    So he's part of a family of inter-dimmensional steam punk vampires who primarily eat Spider people but also eat the lifeforce of other totems (animal themed people). That's all fine and good but he's been raised to ultimately take part in the "great hunt" which is said to be the thing that will permanently prevent all spiders from ever being born post-hunt.
    So Morlun being the iditot he is will take part in a hunt that will destroy his primary food source and help starve him. The problem being is that he's also shown to be able to eat like a regular person so he has a functioning digestive system..., so what does he eat spiders for in the first place? How did that win out on the evolutionary tree? Darwin, a little help!?
    In agreement here. Tony being adopted to be a decoy and stop an alien android from finding their first son who is genetically made to pilot a Godkiller armor to kill celestials?!?! Also it makes Howard and Maria look more like bad parents is the way Howard treated Tony growing up. Forcing him to drink alcohol to be a man and now his mom is a rockstar and his dad is a hydra agent that looks like he can be Howard's twin brother?!?! Just bad all around.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 09-24-2018 at 06:04 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Wolverine was kind of ruined by giving him an origin period. He was such a better character when his origin was a mystery. Let's not even talk about that horrible Loeb story about Wolverine being some wolf mutant.

Add in Nightcrawler too. That useless retcon about his father being some ancient demon mutant did nothing to advance the character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Well, it does destroy the whole point of the House of M event. In the actual version, Wanda and Pietro just made up an entire reality ruled by a man that isn't even their father, and then depowered 90% of mutantkind because of a huge misunderstanding lol.
    Being their father or not, Magneto is a major abuser in the Maximoff twins' life.
    And I couldn't care less about making HoM pointless, it should be blown into oblivion.
    Wanda did all these stuff due to Bendis-induced amnesia and the need for yet another mutant shake-up.

It didn't tweak his origin, but the X-Men: Deadly Genesis retcon damaged Prof X as a character, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post
    It didn't tweak his origin, but the X-Men: Deadly Genesis retcon damaged Prof X as a character, in my opinion.

How ? Dudes always been an *******.