Page 191 of 233 FirstFirst ... 91141181187188189190191192193194195201 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,865 of 3488

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Black Adam has been getting some attention this year in comics. He was in that Endless Winter event, he had a Future State back up, and he's in the Justice League.
    Strike one, strike two, and... strike three.

I just think there's no guarantee DC will put out a Black Adam series just to coincide with the movie.

It definitely could happen, but I wouldn't put money on it being a given thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You really think a CW show is on the same level as a blockbuster movie starring the Rock? Also I’m pretty sure Stargirl would be getting something except Johns has forbidden anyone but him from writing her
    But that's not true. She was in Lemire's Justice League United and that was back when Johns still had some pull at DC and not just doing random one-shots and writing more stuff for Image like right now.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I would guess it's more likely DC might have variant covers to tie in with things like DC movies. I don't know if there's any benefit to them to actually plan a comic book series (or even mini-series) that's part of the main DC comic book universe as a tie-in with a movie or TV show. How likely is it that people who go to the movies will suddenly decide to find a comic book store after seeing a DC movie if they weren't already buying comic books?
    Black Panther and his 2-3 dominance on Amazon says HI.

The main reason movies and tv shows don't actually help (fully) with comics is because those folks head STRAIGHT for the TRADES.

Why bother with the comic book store and that toxic mess when I can get the trade from Amazon? Target? Barnes & Nobles?

When Eternals comes out there will be 5 volumes worth of trades for them. With vol 5 coming out soon.

Same with Shang Chi.

Also I’m pretty sure Stargirl would be getting something except Johns has forbidden anyone but him from writing her (she’s based on his kid sister so I can understand his protectiveness, but then you shouldn’t have made a character based on your sister that you don’t own).
    DC had NO issue letting crappy writers get a hold of Static. Whose family is based on a real family. I am sure he is not the only one. So unless Johns had a contract like Robinson over Starman-he has no power.

Either get to writing or someone like Vita or G Willow Wilson or BENDIS will do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    But that's not true. She was in Lemire's Justice League United and that was back when Johns still had some pull at DC and not just doing random one-shots and writing more stuff for Image like right now.
    Ah I forgot about that. But Lemire and Johns were close as I recall, I could see Johns making an exception for Lemire. Plus that title was a spin-off of Johns JL, so he may have still had input.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Black Panther and his 2-3 dominance on Amazon says HI.

The main reason movies and tv shows don't actually help (fully) with comics is because those folks head STRAIGHT for the TRADES.

Why bother with the comic book store and that toxic mess when I can get the trade from Amazon? Target? Barnes & Nobles?

When Eternals comes out there will be 5 volumes worth of trades for them. With vol 5 coming out soon.

Same with Shang Chi.

DC had NO issue letting crappy writers get a hold of Static. Whose family is based on a real family. I am sure he is not the only one. So unless Johns had a contract like Robinson over Starman-he has no power.

Either get to writing or someone like Vita or G Willow Wilson or BENDIS will do it for you.
    DC f****** over McDuffie is par for course. They never gave him the respect he was owed.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    So why in your opinion nobody wants to write a character that has a TV show currently?

Extraordinary Member

Ram V newsletter:

https://mailchi.mp/7892830b0d9a/fly-...8?e=3fa66b08cf
    GOODBYE, SO LONG, I WILL MISS YOU: Catwoman and Justice League Dark

About 3 months ago, with my personal life about to get a lot busier, I went to my editors at DC and with a very heavy heart and called time on a couple of things I was working on. My story-arc on Catwoman was coming to a climactic point and tying into the year-end event FEAR STATE, I figured that was a good point for me to take my bow and hand off the book to its next creative team.

It was a similar matter of timing with Justice League Dark. I have had an absolute riot of a time working on the Justice League Dark 10 page back-ups. But coming up with a story-shape twice a month and trying to really swing to pack as much story as I could into a 10 pager was challenging, fun but also mentally exhausting. I kept it going for 12 back-up stories and an annual. Having also written the end of the previous run on the book.

I'm not the kind of writer who'll rattle off a full script in a couple of days. I take my time with them and I hate feeling like I didn't give a project everything I could. I am obsessive by nature and invariably that meant that juggling so many books for bad for my health and peace of mind. So I went to Jessica Chen (my editor on Catwoman) and Brittany Holzher (my editor on JLD) and I called time on the books with December of this year.

I have absolutely loved writing them both. I've been treated so incredibly well by readers/fans of the books who've shown a lot of trust in a writer who is inclined to make them do a little bit of work to engage with his stories. I hope everyone who's been reading these stories has been enjoying the ride so far.

DC editorial tell me both books expanded on their readerships during my time on them. I'll take that as a win.
    STILL MORE TO COME AT DC

By end of this month I will be writing THE SWAMP THING #10 which marks the end of Season 1. When Mike Perkins, Spicer, Aditya and I started with this book - right from issue #1 there was a tremendous response to our work. I've not been writing comics for very long. 5 years by my count and I'd never seen the kind of support there was from readers and long-time Swamp Thing fans when this book came out. We were doing all kinds of crazy things-- a new host, an Indian lead and I'd like to think stories that were taking narrative risks in themselves. There were all kinds of reasons we could've stumbled. But we didnt and I owe much love to my collaborators, my editors and the readers.

Work also continues on the previously mentioned PROJECT PRESSURE and I'm chatting about a potential thing for 2022 which is in its nascent stage but absolutely brimming with potential.

So, watch this space.

Sucks Ram V’s leaving JLD, why DC reduced that to a backup in JL but let Titans get their own book I will never understand, but excited for more Swamp Thing and his new project! V’s clearly one of DC’s up and coming writers.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Sucks Ram V’s leaving JLD, why DC reduced that to a backup in JL but let Titans get their own book I will never understand, but excited for more Swamp Thing and his new project! V’s clearly one of DC’s up and coming writers.
    Sadly quality does not equal sales when it comes to comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Sadly quality does not equal sales when it comes to comics.
    Didn’t JLD have better sales than Titans? Could’ve sworn it was a solid seller.

Extraordinary Member

It did but both were performing poorly, JLD was the 79th best selling book in March 2020 and Teen Titans was 105th - editorial clearly hoping a line up with a more traditional cast/tv synergy sells better (I'm assuming you're talking about Titans United).
    Last edited by Hypo; 09-20-2021 at 08:40 AM.

Teen Titans is old and established franchise that has had more success in outside media. JLD on another hand is a bad idea.

I like his JLD, but I will not miss his portrayal of Zatanna.

Incredible Member

Well, Teen Titans declined in sales (it was really justified. Robin, their lead character, was supposed to become the villain for 5G and began building secret prisons and tormenting criminals and fans just left the book because it was awfal).
    Titans (a different title) sold well until Nightwing was shot in the head, became amnesic and left the Book.
    Teen Titans now became the new Teen Titans Academy book, and it actually debuted with great sales and just plunged since because it's written badly and focuses on entirely new characters.
    So there was a general interest at the beginning, just very bad execution.
    Last edited by Lal; 09-20-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I like his JLD, but I will not miss his portrayal of Zatanna.
    Yeah, me too. Sadly it seems that almost all the writers nowadays seem to portray Zatanna as Ram V did.