Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    Day 2

Superman Rebirth #1 moves up to 3rd place, as DC Rebirth #1 moves down to 4th place.

It's pretty pathetic how bad civil war II is doing.

I'd love NOTHING more than something to convince Marvel that movie synergy freaking sucks.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    It's pretty pathetic how bad civil war II is doing.
    for the quality of the event, it is doing very well only losing for the biggest 2 of dc, walking dead and the major changing status quo for DC

cap america last issue has nothing to do with synergy

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    for the quality of the event, it is doing very well only losing for the biggest 2 of dc, walking dead and the major changing status quo for DC

The Marvel brand is much bigger than DC and Rebirth is doing bigger than Civil War 2. Plus there is no buzz at all for Marvel NOW. You can bet marvel offices are shitting their pants are planning to do some crazy **** over the next few weeks to get back fans.

This is pleasant news again

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post

They made Steve young and Captain America again, right after the movie has hit. Zemo was in the first issue, along with several other "sidekicks" who are following Steve into action. Not Sam or Bucky, granted, but those two guys are otherwise wrapped up elsewhere so we get the stand-ins.

Its not direct synergy, but even Marvel almost never does that. But Steve being Cap again is itself a matter of synergy (as well as not being able to let classics rest, of course; always gotta circle back around to the familiar!)
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

i have really enjoyed the rebirth titles so far, glad they are doing well.

on a whim I purchased civil war when picking up my comics this week. didn't care for it.
    story just did not work for me.

The Marvel brand is much bigger than DC and Rebirth is doing bigger than Civil War 2. Plus there is no buzz at all for Marvel NOW. You can bet marvel offices are shitting their pants are planning to do some crazy **** over the next few weeks to get back fans.
    I think the NOW2.0 hype will start building as Civil War 2 closes. Marvel tends to push one big Event at a time even when they've got a couple in the pipe. They likely dont want multiple projects splitting attention, Im guessing.

And Im sure they started working on a counter to Rebirth as soon as they heard about it (which was likely long before we did) but honestly, if I were Marvel I wouldn't be too concerned. DC cleaned their clocks with the 52.....until Marvel NOW! launched, and Marvel has had a very comfortable lead ever since, even if the gap between the companies has shrunk. Rebirth, Im guessing, will follow the same pattern; it'll overtake Marvel for a few months, but once Marvel rolls out their latest re-branding they'll retake the market and end the year on top.

But all that is largely besides the point; it shouldnt be about beating Marvel, it should be about making better comics and making more money for DC. If they happen to overtake Marvel while they're at it, great, but "How do we beat them?" shouldnt be the mindset. That leads to bad business choices being made.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

of course there isn't a buzz on Now, we have no idea what books it will bring, it's not like marvel need a big change like DC needed with rebirth. Of course they are worried, some of their best books are on cancelation block

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    They made Steve young and Captain America again, right after the movie has hit. Zemo was in the first issue, along with several other "sidekicks" who are following Steve into action. Not Sam or Bucky, granted, but those two guys are otherwise wrapped up elsewhere so we get the stand-ins.

Its not direct synergy, but even Marvel almost never does that. But Steve being Cap again is itself a matter of synergy (as well as not being able to let classics rest, of course; always gotta circle back around to the familiar!)
    Steve was going to be young anyway, it is his 75th anniversary. it's not likeMarvel wouldn't do a event and restore him to his title again.
    Now the timing was really to be around his solo movie and marvel pulled a big stunt that transceded the comics public. impressive for good or bad.

now DC totally slept with the superman thing
    Last edited by Tayswift; 06-04-2016 at 06:42 PM.

BANNED

If Superman Rebirth #1 stays ahead of Civil War 2 #1 for the rest of the week, and doesn't fall past the 3rd or 4th page with next week's new releases, I'd be comfortable assuming it ends up selling more than 30, 000 digital copies.

Civil War 2 is an event comic, so I'd think it'd outsell Ms. Marvel digitally which sells more digitally than in print, so any comic that does better than Ms. Marvel digitally would be exceeding 30, 000 in digital sales, unless there's massive drop after the first week.

As of right now, it's sold at least 2001 copies digitally.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think the NOW2.0 hype will start building as Civil War 2 closes. Marvel tends to push one big Event at a time even when they've got a couple in the pipe. They likely dont want multiple projects splitting attention, Im guessing.

And Im sure they started working on a counter to Rebirth as soon as they heard about it (which was likely long before we did) but honestly, if I were Marvel I wouldn't be too concerned. DC cleaned their clocks with the 52.....until Marvel NOW! launched, and Marvel has had a very comfortable lead ever since, even if the gap between the companies has shrunk. Rebirth, Im guessing, will follow the same pattern; it'll overtake Marvel for a few months, but once Marvel rolls out their latest re-branding they'll retake the market and end the year on top.

But all that is largely besides the point; it shouldnt be about beating Marvel, it should be about making better comics and making more money for DC. If they happen to overtake Marvel while they're at it, great, but "How do we beat them?" shouldnt be the mindset. That leads to bad business choices being made.
    The long term chase of the short term is mind boggling. Marvel will take the lead when Rebirth settles, but the X-Men are at a low point, Inhumans haven't taken off, FF are gone, Vader and Vision will be over, and Coates won't be around much longer.

Extraordinary Member

I can understand wanting a property to fail so something 'better' would take its place. A lot of people felt that way about the Nu52 from the moment it was announced, and I kind of feel that way about Supergirl. The firing of Didio would probably do more to make the changes I want to see than the failure of a book I won't bother checking out.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I can understand wanting a property to fail so something 'better' would take its place. A lot of people felt that way about the Nu52 from the moment it was announced, and I kind of feel that way about Supergirl. The firing of Didio would probably do more to make the changes I want to see than the failure of a book I won't bother checking out.
    I think the firing of DiDio and Harras,the demotion of Jim Lee and Eddie Berganza either outright fired or at least moved as far away from the Superman line as possible would be positive steps. I wouldn't mind Geoff running the larger DCU, but perhaps put someone else in place to run Superman and have that person focus on making Superman, whichever version they use, the top priority.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The firing of Harras, Lee, Johns, Didio, or Berganza is not only unlikely to an extreme degree but makes zero sense business wise. But the main reason I find it annoying when presented as a solution is the assumption that "someone" will step in and make all the readers happy and put sales up. Looking at the charts, sales are up and have been climbing for at least a decade. It's just that most people don't care about buying Superman, and no guarantee can be made to change that.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    The firing of Harras, Lee, Johns, Didio, or Berganza is not only unlikely to an extreme degree but makes zero sense business wise. But the main reason I find it annoying when presented as a solution is the assumption that "someone" will step in and make all the readers happy and put sales up. Looking at the charts, sales are up and have been climbing for at least a decade. It's just that most people don't care about buying Superman, and no guarantee can be made to change that.
    I agree it's not a fix all, but part of the reason Superman and particularly Superman comics get a bad rap is,well,outside of some brief periods here and there, they mostly suck. Would Superman be smashing sales records and beating Batman comics under new management? Probably not, but this regime has been in place 13 years now. They've had plenty of chances to at least make the books worth reading again and they keep dropping the ball. It wouldn't hurt to get some fresh creative voices overseeing things for a while. Just because there is no guarantee for positive results doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 06-05-2016 at 09:18 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.