Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default I'm losing interest in Superheroes

Ok, I still adore comics. It is still my favorite form of entertainment. However, the stuff I love are now stuff from indie companies like Image and Dark Horse or companies that at least give more creative freedom than the big two like Vertigo. Marvel and DC have been making so many mistakes lately that it is annoying me. So pretty much, I am almost done with both companies for good and will be putting all of my attention towards indie companies from now on. However, there are TWO runs I will still read from Marvel and DC, but it comes with restrictions though.

I will read Batman as long as Scott Snyder is writing it
    I will also be reading Jeff Lemire's upcoming run on Moon Knight.

Other than those two, I AM DONE. Constant reboots, nonstop events, illogical storylines, it is too much for me. Simply put, the charm of superheroes is gone for me. Like I said, I will still be reading Image, Vertigo and stuff like that. But Marvel and DC has done so much that pissed me off that I am done.

Okay .

Amazing Member

I understand where you are coming from. I have not bought a Marvel comic since the DnA runs of Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy were cancelled and DC's Nu52 relaunch eventually pushed me away as well. I still read friends copies and do keep up with what is going on but neither company gets my money anymore. As an older reader I eventually realized I am not the target audience for the Big 2 any more. On the upside I found some stuff from Image, Dark Horse and Boom that I really enjoy.

I went away from the superhero stuff for awhile too. I was only reading ASM and Batman until Green Lantern Corps #18 pulled me right back in. It's okay to take a break, but I hope you one day find your Green Lantern Corps #18, whatever book that may be.

It'a a big world of comics out there, read what you like, life's too short to spend on comics you don't like (and too expensive). If you miss something and want to go back and read it later, it will still be there-trades and digital have changed the landscape (much like VCR/DVR did with TV), you can read things on your own schedule, when and where you want, as it comes out, or days/weeks/months/years later. Follow your comic bliss wherever it leads you. Don't get angry when books don't fit your tastes, find books that do.

-M

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MegaManChiefFan View Post
    Ok, I still adore comics. It is still my favorite form of entertainment. However, the stuff I love are now stuff from indie companies like Image and Dark Horse or companies that at least give more creative freedom than the big two like Vertigo. Marvel and DC have been making so many mistakes lately that it is annoying me. So pretty much, I am almost done with both companies for good and will be putting all of my attention towards indie companies from now on. However, there are TWO runs I will still read from Marvel and DC, but it comes with restrictions though.

Other than those two, I AM DONE. Constant reboots, nonstop events, illogical storylines, it is too much for me. Simply put, the charm of superheroes is gone for me. Like I said, I will still be reading Image, Vertigo and stuff like that. But Marvel and DC has done so much that pissed me off that I am done.
    It happens for a lot of readers and different points in their life. Can I ask you how long you have been reading comics? I thought I saw you mention that you were somewhat young? I ask because I am curious if this is a change of a many years long reader or someone who is still somewhat "new" to comics. Not that there is anything wrong either way I am just curious.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

We had a similar thread to this not too long ago. It seems to happen to quite a few long-time readers.

It happened to me during the 1990's. I didn't read a comic for almost a decade.

BANNED

There's so much more to superheroes than Marvel and D.C. though. Read Astro City and Powers if you haven't already.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Giving up on superheroes for awhile, or any genre, is probably healthy. Cleanse the palate.

Giving up comics, though, that's just crazy talk (unless it really works for you).

The only time I was prepared to give up comics, I was literally suicidal. A comics pro saved me (from death and from giving up comics) by doodling all over his comic for me and lending me a big stack of comics and cartoons to check out before I decided to really "give it up." I felt like I had to read and watch it all, duty bound, and that dragged me out of the depression I was in. Comics are life. Comics are passion. Comics are... just a medium like any other. I couldn't give up tv or music or looking at paintings wholesale, either.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I am right with you, After decades of faithfully following most of Marvel and many DC books, I finally gave up. Too many reboots, too many mega-senseless-crossovers that took all the energy out of the individual book story lines. I read no DC or Marvel now and have been enjoying comics more than I have in years. Mainly Image and Dark Horse with some Vertigo and IDW. So many great creator-owned books with no worries about editorial interference. I didn't leave super heroes, they left me. All I loved about the marvel and DC Universe was wrung out of them.

Thanks for all of the replies, guys! However, while you guys all have amazing responses, I want to pin point a statement that edhopper said. "I didn't leave super heroes, they left me." I think that statement can be said for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    It happens for a lot of readers and different points in their life. Can I ask you how long you have been reading comics? I thought I saw you mention that you were somewhat young? I ask because I am curious if this is a change of a many years long reader or someone who is still somewhat "new" to comics. Not that there is anything wrong either way I am just curious.
    I have been reading for only about 2 years now. HOWEVER, I power read through a LOT of the key storylines in those. The only major storyline that I was wanting to read that I haven't read yet was Old Man Logan. But, the key word there was WAS wanting to read. Ever since my passion for superheroes died, I just finally lost interest. That may be too fast for some people, but I just grew so attached to companies like Image and Vertigo that I can't really go back to Marvel and DC. Call this my teenage hipster stage all you want, but I just have lost my passion for superheroes. (Sorry if that last statement sounded kind of rude. Wasn't meaning to be rude)

I don't have a problem with superheroes, but I got tired of Marvel and DC's treatment of them. There's plenty of other genres within comics to keep me occupied, so it's not a real loss for me.

BANNED

I have been reading for only about 2 years now. HOWEVER, I power read through a LOT of the key storylines in those. The only major storyline that I was wanting to read that I haven't read yet was Old Man Logan. But, the key word there was WAS wanting to read. Ever since my passion for superheroes died, I just finally lost interest. That may be too fast for some people, but I just grew so attached to companies like Image and Vertigo that I can't really go back to Marvel and DC. Call this my teenage hipster stage all you want, but I just have lost my passion for superheroes. (Sorry if that last statement sounded kind of rude. Wasn't meaning to be rude)
    Hey you dont sound rude to me and Im sorry if anything in my post made you feel I thought of you as hipster or something.
    I only ask because Im always curious when people start to have changing reading habits when it comes to comics. Im in my late 20s and I have been reading comics for about 20 years now and I wish I had begun branching out to image and vertigo a lot earlier then I did. I do think though that even in the superhero genre there are many different kinds then what you read in marvel and dc. Stuff like invincible, astro city, nobles cause and other books like that have a completely different feel then most from the big two and I just dont want people to avoid these because they have grown tired of stuff from Marvel and DC.

I think if you only care about "the major" comics of the big two, then you'll always get this. But if you look at a lot of the fringe comics, they are brilliant and free of events and "jumping the shark". Gillen's Young Avengers, Superior Foes of Spiderman, She-Hulk; all recent comics, all stand on their own two feet without event derailment.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."