Page 107 of 184 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 2750

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Just the Slott era and a few other elements in general. The big focus on Anya, Gwen being modelled after the Webb movies, the minimisation of MJ, Horizon etc
    Anya needs a regular place in 2019, even if it's just a team book, otherwise she's done. Miles and Gwen have essentially supplanted her.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'm not surprised the show is ending. it's just far too forgettable. Spectacular had its great story lines and unforgettable theme song; and USM as flawed as it was had things to remember whether it was all the talking to the audience or Harry being Venom. I legitimately forgot MSM even existed, everything just seems rather aimless. Not to mention the rather big plot hole of what exactly the other spider people are doing whenever Peter is getting the snot beaten out of him, it's not like he's a long time pro in this series he's had his powers maybe a month longer than anyone else. It just comes off as Peter has to struggle because Peter has to struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Also I think the PS4 game and Into The Spider-Verse completely blowing this show out of the water in terms of animated Spider-Man portrayals, both story-wise and visually, may have something else to do with it.
    This is also very important these two adaptations came out the same year and are extremely well regarded and are nothing like the show. It makes me wonder what the next show will be like (because there's no way they'll leave Spider-Man without a cartoon) when taking things like the MCU, the game, and Spiderverse into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    I'm not surprised the show is ending. it's just far too forgettable. Spectacular had its great story lines and unforgettable theme song; and USM as flawed as it was had things to remember whether it was all the talking to the audience or Harry being Venom. I legitimately forgot MSM even existed, everything just seems rather aimless. Not to mention the rather big plot hole of what exactly the other spider people are doing whenever Peter is getting the snot beaten out of him, it's not like he's a long time pro in this series he's had his powers maybe a month longer than anyone else. It just comes off as Peter has to struggle because Peter has to struggle.
    It's pretty clear that the writers just did not know what to do with the other spider-people in a Spider-Man show.

Most of the time Peter can barely beat a single villain on his own, especially in season 1, to facilitate the need for the supporting cast to be heroes but then they get forgotten about for solo adventures or team-ups with Avengers. On-top of just being, in general, pretty underdeveloped.

It also doesn't help that, visually, this is probably the worst looking of all the modern Spider-Man cartoons.
    This is also very important these two adaptations came out the same year and are extremely well regarded and are nothing like the show. It makes me wonder what the next show will be like (because there's no way they'll leave Spider-Man without a cartoon) when taking things like the MCU, the game, and Spiderverse into consideration.
    I expect the next Spider-Man cartoon, when we get one, will probably be on the Disney streaming service.

Mighty Member

The fact that this show was forgettable is saying something. For all of Ultimate's problems (excessive fourth wall breaking, the dumbing down of Peter, Harry as Venom, etc) it still is remembered. I've heard it even got better as time went on to reward people for sticking through with it.

Would you say this show has any break out villains?
    Spider-Man TAS had Kingpin and Venom
    Spectcular had Green Goblin, I'd argue Tombstone, Ock, and almost every baddie had something that endeared me to them
    Ultimate for all its faults used Ock pretty decently

would you say that one or more of the villains was used well in this show?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Just the Slott era and a few other elements in general. The big focus on Anya, Gwen being modelled after the Webb movies, the minimisation of MJ, Horizon etc
    Also, this show just doesn't feel like a real or true Spider-Man series (at least to me). In all honesty, since Spectacular we haven't seen a good animated Spidey show. While I'm all for the occasional stand-alone team up episode (or even several episodes long storyline) I feel Peter is at his best as a solo act especially until his character is firmly established. The de-emphasis of Peter as the primary focus in the recent shows is not a good thing IMO.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-27-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's pretty clear that the writers just did not know what to do with the other spider-people in a Spider-Man show.

Most of the time Peter can barely beat a single villain on his own, especially in season 1, to facilitate the need for the supporting cast to be heroes but then they get forgotten about for solo adventures or team-ups with Avengers. On-top of just being, in general, pretty underdeveloped.

It also doesn't help that, visually, this is probably the worst looking of all the modern Spider-Man cartoons.

I expect the next Spider-Man cartoon, when we get one, will probably be on the Disney streaming service.
    Yeah, USM wasn't perfect but it at least stuck with its team up aspect. While with MSM characters only really exist when it's convenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    The fact that this show was forgettable is saying something. For all of Ultimate's problems (excessive fourth wall breaking, the dumbing down of Peter, Harry as Venom, etc) it still is remembered. I've heard it even got better as time went on to reward people for sticking through with it.

Spectcular had Green Goblin, I'd argue Tombstone, Ock, and almost every baddie had something that endeared me to them

would you say that one or more of the villains was used well in this show?
    Not at all, the only villains I really remember are Otto because he's an aged down teacher at the school and they're doing the superior arc and Jackal because he was the first and they made him Gwen's uncle.

Another one of the show's weaknesses is most of the character relationships are pretty weak the only strong one I feel is between Peter and Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I think Ultimate is remembered most for it's novelty (first appearance of _____, Spider-Verse, etc.) and the later seasons where the writing improved to the point where it became a genuinely fun, if a tad mindless, action Superhero cartoon.

Did it necessarily feel at all like a Spider-Man cartoon? Depends who you ask (I'm personally of the opinion that it didn't for the most part).
    I thought the show's version of Carolyn Trainer /Lady Octopus was great, although it looks like she's a one-episode-wonder.

I guess we also have to note that it's the first animated appearance of Miles Warren as The Jackal (even if he's not actually Miles Warren in this). Granted, I don't think he's all that memorable aside from that, but it is what it is.

Oh, I guess we also had the animated debut of Screwball, but she wasn't really a villain on the show and just ask a lot of Spider-Man PS4 players how they feel about her.

Josh Keaton was a good Norman Osborn.

I'll wait to give a final say on their version of Doc Ock once the Superior arc is finished.
    Another one of the show's weaknesses is most of the character relationships are pretty weak the only strong one I feel is between Peter and Harry.
    Yeah, Peter and Harry's relationship is probably one of the best developed relationships on the show, if not the only really significant and meaningful relationship on the show.

Contrast that with his more shallow relationships with Miles, Anya, and Gwen (although he's had at least a little more development with the latter, but not much).

I will say this show probably had one of the most likeable version of Harry but at the same time probably one of the most infuriating with how they handled his hatred of Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Anya needs a regular place in 2019, even if it's just a team book, otherwise she's done. Miles and Gwen have essentially supplanted her.
    Part of me is hoping that if/when Young Avengers gets relaunched, she's added to the roster.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Part of me is hoping that if/when Young Avengers gets relaunched, she's added to the roster.
    That would be kind of random to me, but I guess she was on the Young Allies when that was a short-lived thing...

If they were smart they would snatch up Greg Weisman before DC orders a new Young Justice season and get him to do a new Spectacular season but we can't all have nice things

Though I think if they were to bring it back, it would go right to Disney+, since the landscape of Spider-Man has completely changed since that show was around, a more classic focused/inspired show, without a Miles or Spider-Gwen, may not be as appealing for the general TV audience nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That would be kind of random to me, but I guess she was on the Young Allies when that was a short-lived thing...
    Anya is about the same age as all the Young Avengers, so it would fit, at least more than Silk who's about the same age as Peter.

If they were smart they would snatch up Greg Weisman before DC orders a new Young Justice season and get him to do a new Spectacular season but we can't all have nice things
    I think even if Marvel wasn't in the habit of not looking back on their old, better received, shows, I just don't see either them or Sony jumping through the hoops to work together for an animated cartoon again.

It's different with the movies since Sony still has the movie rights and Sony bungled the Spider-Man movie franchise so there's still a reason for them to "play nice."
    Though I think if they were to bring it back, it would go right to Disney+, since the landscape of Spider-Man has completely changed since that show was around, a more classic focused/inspired show, without a Miles or Spider-Gwen, may not be as appealing for the general TV audience nowadays.
    I think a show as strong and as popular as Spectacular was would be able to retain as much of a audience now as it did back then without the need to throw in other spider-people.

I mean, a part of me just looks at the current cartoon to see just how difficult it seems to be to fit all these disparate spider-heroes into a Spider-Man cartoon that's not Ultimate where they went as far from traditional Spider-Man as you can get.

Although Greg Weisman could probably find a way to better integrate and utilize these characters in the narrative of Peter Parker/Spider-Man then we've seen in any other adaption. Would he want to? I don't think so. But he could.

You guys gotta let Spec. go. It's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    That'll happen on the same day Spider-Marriage fans will let go of it .

Yes, I know Peter and MJ are currently together, but it's very unlikely they'll get married again lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I'll let it go once they make another good Spider-Man cartoon (and I also said I already know it's extremely likely it'd ever come back, I just wish it would)

I'll let it go once they make another good Spider-Man cartoon...
    Same goes for me.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."