Page 235 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1351852252312322332342352362372382392452853357351235 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,525 of 75153
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    That's some cute view on history right there lol.
    She’s right though.

You don’t go to Germany and see statues of Nazis.

The guys that put up those statues knew exactly what they were doing and it was basically sending a message to free black men on how they really felt about them. They should never have been put up in the first place and tearing them down as someone said is course correction.
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-09-2020 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

The guys that put up those statues knew exactly what they were doing and it was basically sending a message to free black man on how they really felt about them. They should never have been put up in the first place and tearing them down as someone send is course correction.
    Correct. again. Most of these statues were cheap, quickly built and erected and, have no historical or artistic merit. They are monuments only to racism and spite.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    8 percent? Damn! I'm surprised it was THAT high, and that's not counting the likelihood Baghdad Barbie pulled that number out her ass.

====================

The Fall Of America’s Monuments To Racism

Worldwide protests over anti-Black racism and police brutality renewed efforts to take down Confederate monuments.

Guardsman Told Barr Protest Was Peaceful Before Violent Attack, Lawmaker Says

The attorney general has insisted that the White House crowd was violent before he ordered an aggressive clearing of the area where Trump staged a photo-op. Why am I NOT surprised about that relevation?

William Barr Flatly Contradicts Trump’s Story That He Was In His Bunker For ‘Inspection’

He was being protected from protesters, the attorney general reveals in a Fox News interview. Well, ****, Droopy Dogg, we all knew that!

Trump Is Opposed To ‘Kneeling In General,’ Raising Hell With Religious Worship

“Jesus likes kneeling,” a Twitter critic reminded the White House. Perhaps Trump's reticence about kneeling comes from the fact he's too obese and out of shape to do that.

Tucker Carlson Stuns Twitter Users With ‘Most Racist’ Thing He’s Ever Said

Carlson tells Fox News viewers that a Black Lives Matter “mob” is coming for them. Oh, boy! Words fail me.

I’m Immunocompromised. Marching For George Floyd Could Kill Me, But I’m Still Doing It.

“I’ll step out again, even if this time ends up being the last time.” A piece that's well worth reading, regardless of what color your skin is.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 06-09-2020 at 01:45 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Correct. again. Most of these statues were cheap, quickly built and erected and, have no historical or artistic merit. They are monuments only to racism and spite.
    And the ones raised to the founding fathers were generally paid for by state parks and for various occasions. I'm trying to remember does Adamd have a statue in DC? And yes we should have conversations about the founding fathers and their principles in regard to slavery and to the BS with the Native Americans, but that conversation needs to be done in a different way.

I mean hell, Hamilton is still s hit with a ton of actors of diverse backgrounds, but people tend to forget over the bragging of the story that the man was a cheater and also a slave owner himself.

Also they are pulling down stuff in England as well. Which brings up a question about Spain and its desire to cast the Conquistadors in a spotless light at times.
    Last edited by Darkspellmaster; 06-09-2020 at 02:23 AM.

[QUOTE=Darkspellmaster;5002685]
    I mean hell, Hamilton is still s hit with a ton of actors of diverse backgrounds, but people tend to forget over the bragging of the story that the man was a cheater and also a slave owner himself.
    Hamilton is not known to have ever owned slaves, although members of his family were slave owners. At the time of her death, Hamilton's mother owned two slaves named Christian and Ajax, and she had written a will leaving them to her sons; however, due to their illegitimacy, Hamilton and his brother were held ineligible to inherit her property, and never took ownership of the slaves.[267]:17 Later, as a youth in St. Croix, Hamilton worked for a company trading in commodities that included slaves.[267]:17 During his career, Hamilton did occasionally purchase or sell slaves for others as their legal representative, and one of Hamilton's grandsons interpreted some of these journal entries as being purchases for himself.
    Yeah, you won't see that part in Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    This is an interesting debate here, because it could be a slippery slope, and I don’t mean that in a hyperbolic way. How many of the founding fathers were slave owners or slavery defenders? And think about how many places and things are named after them!
    There are some pushes to change that as well, although a distinction is that while the founding fathers were deeply flawed men, the confederates fought for one of the worst causes in human history.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I've been hearing that a lot today, and I honestly can't believe that's a talking point that's taking off after all the years we've had to listen to people go in television to explain "what he really means" every time the President opens his mouth to vomit gibberish and racism.
    It would probably be better for Republicans if Trump wasn't consistently vomiting gibberish and racism.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    She’s right though.

You don’t go to Germany and see statues of Nazis.

The guys that put up those statues knew exactly what they were doing and it was basically sending a message to free black men on how they really felt about them. They should never have been put up in the first place and tearing them down as someone said is course correction.
    The comparison I used to someone last year was that we don't have statues of Tojo in Hawaii because we need to remember WW2.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

William Barr Flatly Contradicts Trump’s Story That He Was In His Bunker For ‘Inspection’

He was being protected from protesters, the attorney general reveals in a Fox News interview. Well, ****, Droopy Dogg, we all knew that!
    Say what you want about Nixon, it's no secret that he hated 'Nam protestors but he at least went out and talked to them.

Intermediary

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Say what you want about Nixon, it's no secret that he hated 'Nam protestors but he at least went out and talked to them.
    in wrestling terms, Nixon was a total heel

he reveled in it

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    in wrestling terms, Nixon was a total heel

he reveled in it
    Oh no doubt! There's a number of reasons you could call Nixon a terrible person, but at least he wasn't the chicken Trump is.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The comparison I used to someone last year was that we don't have statues of Tojo in Hawaii because we need to remember WW2.
    Exactly.

Anyone that needs to remember their history should browse the Internet or better still read a damn book.

Honestly, some of these right wing arguments are so lazy....

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Attorney for Former Officer Charged in Floyd Death Admonishes Public

The lawyer for one of the former police officers charged in the death of George Floyd questioned why the public "didn't intercede" to stop Floyd's death on May 25.

Attorney Earl Gray is defending Thomas Lane, one of the four former officers charged in the death of Floyd, an unarmed black man who died in police custody in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In a video capturing the incident, Lane can be seen holding down Floyd's legs as fellow officer Derek Chauvin uses his knee to press against Floyd's neck. During an appearance on CNN's Cuomo Prime Time, Gray singled out the public when asked why his client did not attempt to stop Floyd's death.

"All these people say why didn't my client intercede... well, if the public is there and they're so in an uproar about this, they didn't intercede either," Gray said. "And my client's down where he can't really see."
    Let me see if I've got this straight: That ambulance chaser suggested that UNARMED civilians rush ARMED police officers to save George Floyd. Short and sweet, ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? That would've resulted in more arrests, probably more injuries, maybe worse. That was an abhorrent suggestion for that lawyer to have made.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Attorney for Former Officer Charged in Floyd Death Admonishes Public

Let me see if I've got this straight: That ambulance chaser suggested that UNARMED civilians rush ARMED police officers to save George Floyd. Short and sweet, ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? That would've resulted in more arrests, probably more injuries, maybe worse. That was an abhorrent suggestion for that lawyer to have made.
    Classy guy.

Attacking cops is always a bad idea, because they can escalate violence far better than most civilians.

Also they are supposed to be the ones enforcing the law, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

It would probably be better for Republicans if Trump wasn't consistently vomiting gibberish and racism.
    They seem to like it just fine, though, Mets.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-09-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Intermediary

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    They seem to like it just fine, though, Mets.
    I mean, yeah

poll numbers aside, there is a healthy chunk of the population who has stuck with him and likes what he's doing just fine

- alienating our allies (they aren't American so who cares what they think)
    - attacks the press (because every outlet thats not Fox News or OAN calls him on his bullshizz)
    - tells angry white people he's going to "build that wall" and by proxy tell them all their problems are because of brown/black people