Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Why do Supes and WW have their own forum and Green Lantern does not?

The Green Lantern franchise is one of my three favorite in all of DC comics. Sadly the other two, the JSA and the (real) Legion of Super Heroes don't exist right now. The Green Lantern related threads/topics seem to be more numerous and hotly debated than either of the non Bruce members of the so called Trinity. IMO if all the DC threads were condensed to one forum the Green Lantern related ones would trail only the Bruce extended Bat related ones. Which leads me to question why do Superman and Wonder Woman have threads and Green Lantern doesn't? Is it because of the movies? Because Aquaman doesn't have his own forum. Truth be told I am glad the Green Lantern stuff is in the DC thread because that way I can see if there is any LSH or JSA gossip but I always find it annoying to see Hellboy, Superman and Wonder Woman have their own forums and the Green Lantern franchise does not. It is not that it isn't deserving there was a time when the GL franchise was second only to the Batman one at DC and even now Green Lantern is putting out two of DC's better ongoings in DC hero universe (so aside from the Last God and American Vampire 1976 both of which I love) Far Sector and The Green Lantern.

They should probably close the Hellboy forum and move discussion of the franchise to a single thread, it’s pretty much dead at the moment. With the movie flopping and the comic series finished I don’t think it needs its own forum.

As for why GL doesn’t get its own forum, there simply isn’t enough activity to justify it. The Hal and John appreciation threads get lots of activity sure, but the rest of the GLs don’t. The franchise has fallen off hard from the glory days of Johns, we went from multiple ongoings down to just one. The Superman forum at the very least does get enough activity to justify its presence, it’s usually on par with Spider-Man from what I can tell. And yeah that Supes and Wondy have outside media projects does help justify why they get their own forums, it’s so the DC Comics forum isn’t overwhelmed with Superman and WW fans talking about their stuff.

Perhaps GL can get its own forum after the HBO Max series launches, but that would depend on activity picking up. We’ll see if that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The franchise has fallen off hard from the glory days of Johns, we went from multiple ongoings down to just one.
    There is also Far Sector maxi series.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Back during the heydey of the Johns run before the Forum Crisis reboot, GL actually did have a forum for a minute. And then posting slowed to a crawl and it didn't necessitate itself anymore.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I used to be the Mod of the old Green Lantern board back in the early 2000s before GL: Rebirth.

So, so, so many flame wars.

The horror....the horror...

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I used to be the Mod of the old Green Lantern board back in the early 2000s before GL: Rebirth.

So, so, so many flame wars.

The horror....the horror...
    "In brightest day, in blackest night
    My GL can beat yours in a fight
    You're dumb, I'm right"
    GL Moderator's Plight.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They should probably close the Hellboy forum and move discussion of the franchise to a single thread, it’s pretty much dead at the moment. With the movie flopping and the comic series finished I don’t think it needs its own forum.
    That I agree with. Hellboy should just be discussed in the Independents section.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    You're dumb, I'm right"
    GL Moderator's Plight.
    Thank you so much for this.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

You're dumb, I'm right"
    GL Moderator's Plight.
    It's funny, because it's so true.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Back during the heydey of the Johns run before the Forum Crisis reboot, GL actually did have a forum for a minute. And then posting slowed to a crawl and it didn't necessitate itself anymore.
    Ah, I remember the Fourm Crisis. No red skies, but getting rebooted was a trip. You have any memories of The Great Before?

Yeah, GL really had a moment there. I thought it was going to be BIG. Now there's not much need for a GL fourm- as that moment sure passed (at least for now).
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-29-2021 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That I agree with. Hellboy should just be discussed in the Independents section.
    To be honest you could probably close both Hellboy and the Image sub forums and move discussion of both to Independents. The non-Big 2 boards don’t see a lot of traffic/discussion from what I can tell.

You're dumb, I'm right"
    GL Moderator's Plight.
    You are the true Star Sapphire

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I mean back in the day when Johns was throwing GL events at us once or twice a year and with Earth 2 Alan, Power Ring, the cartoon, Injustice and the AU movies, there would've been enough content to justify one but RIP.

You're dumb, I'm right"
    GL Moderator's Plight.
    Things were that bad, huh?
    "Cable was right!"

So, the moral of the story is that Green Lantern fans aren't so much "Green Lantern fans" as they are fans of a specific character that happens to be a Green Lantern?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Thank you so much for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It's funny, because it's so true.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    You are the true Star Sapphire
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I mean back in the day when Johns was throwing GL events at us once or twice a year and with Earth 2 Alan, Power Ring, the cartoon, Injustice and the AU movies, there would've been enough content to justify one but RIP.

Things were that bad, huh?
    Yes, they were, and thanks all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Ah, I remember the Fourm Crisis. No red skies, but getting rebooted was a trip. You have any memories of The Great Before?

Yeah, GL really had a moment there. I thought it was going to be BIG. Now there's not much need for a GL fourm- as that moment sure passed (at least for now).
    Lots. I sometimes wonder if old posters I would look for now post under new names or have moved on to other pastures. Lots of old names disappeared or have gotten banned. I'm glad to see people still around as well as all the new blood coming in and adding to discussion.

For a brief moment, GL entered the ring and was courting the idea of establishing a Big Four, but the GL's shine has faded a bit. Maybe the MAX series will spark a renaissance.

It is a trip to hear someone say "why do Superman and Wonder Woman deserve something GL doesn't," though