Page 335 of 668 FirstFirst ... 235285325331332333334335336337338339345385435 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,025 of 10019
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    At this point his eyes are an integral part of his senses. Him taking a cure would be like you choosing to have one of your eyes gouged out. You'll still be able to see but not at the capacity that you've been accustomed to. At that point is it worth it to maim oneself so that others can feel comfortable around them?
    I don't know, theoretically speaking that would be his choice. If I were in his shoes I'd intensely consider a cure that got rid of my 7 extra eyes even if I had to go through a period of readjustment. And that's assuming there's a whole mutant nation with thousands of people like me all in one space. If we were in the X-Men status quo of only a handful of mutants at the mansion while all the others and fending for themselves I'd do it with no hesitation (assuming I trust the source). No one in their right mind would want to look like that in human society.
    Last edited by chief12d; 09-02-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Not really. In the current 616, Dr Rao had pretty much the same cure. Lots of things happened. But mutant kind is still here.
    We are not talking about what happened in another book by another writer. We are talking specifically about HiX-Man's plot regarding Moira and Destiny's interaction.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Having multiple eyes, a shark for a head, or a tongue the length of jump rope may not be harmful biologically but it is a recipe for social isolation (among humans). That's my point, whether they're medically sound or not is irrelevant, it's the interpersonal ramifications that average mutants would consider when getting a cure.

Eye Boy isn't suffering because he found the X-Men and fraternizes primarily with those like him. The existence of a subculture for freaks is a hallmark of what makes the X-Men franchise what it is. A person like Eye Boy would struggle immensely in human society and as such can only really find acceptance among his own people.
    What you are describing is discrimination and prejudice. When a marginalized person is harmed by a prejudiced society, it is the prejudiced society which must change, not the marginalized person.

And if for whatever reason he decided he was sick of the attacks on Krakoa and wanted to live a "normal" life he should have the option to get a cure for his mutation from a trusted source. That's not saying every mutation is bad, simply that some are more difficult to live with than others. There would need to be regulations in place so that those who choose to live with their X-gene can do so, but a cure in and of itself is not "genocide" or "erasure".
    I disagree. Within the fictional world of Marvel, in which mutants are persecuted and have thus developed their own cultural identity, a cure is erasure and can lead to genocide. If a cure was solely regulated by mutants, for mutants, it would still be severing someone from their culture and identity. To use another analogy, what you're describing is similar to conversion therapy for queer people.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    What you are describing is discrimination and prejudice. When a marginalized person is harmed by a prejudiced society, it is the prejudiced society which must change, not the marginalized person.

I disagree. Within the fictional world of Marvel, in which mutants are persecuted and have thus developed their own cultural identity, a cure is erasure and can lead to genocide. If a cure was solely regulated by mutants, for mutants, it would still be severing someone from their culture and identity. To use another analogy, what you're describing is similar to conversion therapy for queer people.
    But the chances of society changing are lower than the person changing (at least within the MU). The X-Men finally recognized that being peaceably accepted by humanity was virtually impossible and are now moving accordingly. Why would an individual mutant dealing with a dangerous or distasteful mutation not do the same?

Either understand that society won't stop harassing you until you integrate or put everything on the line and fight for your right to exist. I don't blame a mutant for choosing the former. The circumstances are so cartoonishly extreme that you don't really have any other option, unlike in the real world where marginalized peoples can find a middle ground or spaces of inclusion.

A cure is helping somebody deal with extraordinary powers or physical enhancements they don't want. Mutant culture is amorphous and not everyone would want to engage in it, some mutants simply want to live a regular human life.

Conversion therapy is different because outside of the weak scientific justification for it, the level of discrimination queer people face isn't at the same level of mutants. The MU features giant ass robots explicitly designed to slaughter them whereas while there are undoubtedly hardships associated with being queer, it is a manageable existence like any other minority group. Even without the threat of killer robots having a shark for a head is probably more damaging than being gay in the MU (by the X-office's logic). At least as far as the US is concerned, I know that in other countries being queer is a deathwish. The comparison is not the same because the circumstances are so wildly different.
    Last edited by chief12d; 09-02-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    But the minority metaphor is flawed as hell.

Uncontrollably shooting beams from your eyes that can level a house with a glance is not the same as having a different skin colour!
    This is particularly salient when the comics themselves bring it up constantly.... even outside the Xmen. The whole Civil War story was about whether people with powers should be regulated.

Astonishing Member

The metaphor breaks down because its not 1=1. And the only options aren't being only human or mutant, temporary power dampeners for mutants have been active in X-men for years. Imagine if you were born and you were unable to have any physical contact with anyone or you risk absorbing their personalities and might kill them or put them in comas. No intimacy with people you love, your love life is essentially over as a human being, that's Rogue. What about people who are disfigured when they mutate? Is Nightcrawler wrong for wearing his holographic protector? I think if Marrow had something like this, even if temporary, she wouldn't be alienated from society as much as she is. Are you against the deaf getting hearing aides? Thy can be apart of mutant culture without losing their dignity as a person. What if a mutant has no eyes when they trigger, but can see if they get a power dampener?
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 09-02-2020 at 08:25 PM.

The mutants are never going to be a 1:1 analogy because of the Superpowers, you cant make taboo the legit complains about Superpowers.

Concept of the cure: In my opinion it should exist, the Storm / Rogue debate shows that different mutants have different perspectives, is discrimination that Glob cannot find a sentimental partner ??, is perfectly normal because even between the mutants, choosing "Human like" partners is the norm, in House of M Storm accused Magneto regime of discrimination towards "anormal" Mutants and Tattoo was disgusted when she saw Slick true form.
    This happens because ultimately they are humans and they have human psyche.

Moral of the cure: because the X-Men are slaves of the "Survival narrative" the cure seems to be taboo, the minority analogy doesnt help because if we choose that route we cant question the Superpowers and lets be honest, there's a lot to discuss when it comes to superpowers. The cure should exist as long as there is a majority of Mutants that look like a human.

Sentinels and the lack of debate: The extreme actions of the humans to eradicate the mutants serve to one porpuse, that the X-Men they never have to face arguments that question many of their points of view, fans debate but in the comic those points of view are rarely seen. The only argument that is constantly debated is the coexistence between humans and mutants but with little depth.

In other words, the X-Men rarely have to face accountability because they are always in the brink of the extinction, we rarely see more themes explored in this comic series beyond the already usual narratives. From the mutant side and the human side.

Edit: one last point

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Unpopular opinion: if you’re a mutant and you don’t want to be persecuted, then take any one of the numerous cures that have appeared over the years. You can argue that they shouldn’t have to all you want but if being a mutant is such a problem and there’s a cure for it, then what you’re really saying is that being a mutant is worth all the problems that come with it. Obviously I’m talking pre-Hick here.
    The cure should exist but not like this, i understand what you are trying to say but the way you say it... it sounds like "If you dont want to be attacked or maybe killed, take this pill" He shouldnt be persecuted in the first place.

A mutant should take the cure if he feels that his mutation is making the social interactions with humans and mutants difficult for him.

"I want to fit" sounds bad but if you want to have a familiy...well...being Billy the "Insect face" doesnt add points.
    Last edited by Lapsus; 09-02-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    Sentinels and the lack of debate: The extreme actions of the humans to eradicate the mutants serve to one porpuse, that the X-Men they never have to face arguments that question many of their points of view, fans debate but in the comic those points of view are rarely seen. The only argument that is constantly debated is the coexistence between humans and mutants but with little depth.
    In fanfictions, where the main subject is rarely relationships between mutants and baseline humans, the author usually finds a way to describe a common ground as the background of the story: powers dampeners, tests…

There’s resentment from the mutant side because they remain a minority in a human society and activists are pushing to have more… But the mutants grumblingly accept it because there is rarely a mutant society like Krakoa.

The situation is not fixed but, in amateurish stories, nothing is taboo (for the best or for the worst).
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    The mutants are never going to be a 1:1 analogy because of the Superpowers, you cant make taboo the legit complains about Superpowers.
    First thing analogy or metaphor aren't supposed to be 1 to 1.

What you guys need to for that though be correct is the

A. Mass Majority of mutants can't control their powers
    B. Mass majority of mutants have powers that are easily applied as dangerous to someone

Both of which isn't true

On the hand Vampires(or Zombies) you would have the right to be scared of all them

A. As a group they all have same traits abilities
    B. They natural have a taste for blood and uncontrolled violence is a tendency

Anyways I general agree with your bullet points I have said the comics clearly approach things for max drama not necessary logic. It is completely silly to believe that mutants themselves wouldn't have protocols in place protect themselves from uncontrollable mutants and immature mutants. They are way too many kids who have been shot in real life accidentally for mutants to go hey little Tommy with fire power with temper issues we are going to risk him killing people. They are too many teens who get in car accident for mutants not have something to stop teenagers from using their powers to dangerous or dumb stuff. This doesn't even have to involve humans I mean Boom Boom having a nightmare at night an accidentally use her power could kill chunk of the mansion. Mutants would want safety protocols for themselves

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    It could almost be like a metaphor for someone being born with a body that they don’t feel is really what they are.
    A neat insight. Mutant cure as trans metaphor.

A story that carried it in the other direction, with a human desperately doing whatever to become a mutant (perhaps where they were going with Children of the Atom?) could bounce into all sorts of similar territory, with some being absolutely genuine, and some just craving kewl powers for whatever (less healthy) reason. Presumably a telepath could weed out the latter, and send the poseurs packing, before sharing a hypothetical 'make more mutants' drug with the real deals.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 09-03-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Mystique should have been a better mother to Graydon.

Not loving your kid because he’s not a mutant is just as terrible as the opposite.

Mystique should have been a better mother to Graydon.

Not loving your kid because he’s not a mutant is just as terrible as the opposite.
    One could argue that she did treat him better than her mutant child.

Of course by that, I mean she didn't toss him off a waterfall right after he was born. Mystique is not a good mother.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    One could argue that she did treat him better than her mutant child.

Of course by that, I mean she didn't toss him off a waterfall right after he was born. Mystique is not a good mother.
    Was she trying to overcompensate with Rogue?

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Was she trying to overcompensate with Rogue?
    She was better with Rogue because that was the only child she raised with Destiny.

Speaking of Destiny, weren't she and Raven together at the time that Mystique would have conceived Graydon? Seems weird that Destiny wouldn't have warned her about that.

She was better with Rogue because that was the only child she raised with Destiny.

Speaking of Destiny, weren't she and Raven together at the time that Mystique would have conceived Graydon? Seems weird that Destiny wouldn't have warned her about that.
    Warned her about what? Destiny saw alot and she wasnt always sure if what she saw would happen. She was also very secretive and we know she kept alot to herself bc of this