Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Superheroes and their families

In the current Wonder Woman comic she has suddenly acquired a brother, Jason. I am researching this storyline and trying to think whether any other character's story was hijacked by a sibling in this way. I'm posting in the Marvel group as I want as much information from all publishers as possible. Can anyone think of characters where the title hero is almost superseded by a secondary character?

Iron Man had bad case of that for a while, iirc.

Yeah, Demon in a Bottle. He was so drunk Jim Rhodes had to take over the mantle, and took part in the original Secret Wars. When Tony recovered, he gave Rhodey a new armor, the War Machine. Arguably recently as well, when Ironheart took over the book. That one was justified with both Tony and Rhodey being put out of commission.

Also, Steve Rogers returned from his supposed death after Civil War, but Bucky remained as Captain America for another year. It happened again when Steve got made old and Falcon took over the mantle.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 05-15-2018 at 06:44 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

All-New Wolverine gave X-23 a younger sister who essentially became co-star numero uno and is carrying forward into the upcoming X-23 series. The relationship between the two characters actually was one of the series strengths and I don't think it was a hijack, but it is an example where a later addition to the cast became a packaged deal with the star character.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Dwayne Taylor

^Night Thrasher? How so?
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    ^Night Thrasher? How so?
    Donyell stole Dwayne's life. it's pretty much what Grevioux's new warriors run was about. he took the business. he took the armor. he took the hairstyle. he took leadership of the new warriors. he took the angst. they even revealed that Dwayne's father was giving him the same survivalist training. once you make the siblings interchangeable, I'd say that it counts for this thread.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    All-New Wolverine gave X-23 a younger sister who essentially became co-star numero uno and is carrying forward into the upcoming X-23 series. The relationship between the two characters actually was one of the series strengths and I don't think it was a hijack, but it is an example where a later addition to the cast became a packaged deal with the star character.
    And then you have X-23 herself as well as Daken for Wolverine. Daken has been a bit divisive as a character, but the three of them all sort of go together. Gabby actually adds to the dynamic quite well. Sort of weird how that worked.

Priest has said on numerous occasions the main character of his Black Panther run is Ross not T'Challa.

Honestly this happens all the time.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by joanorm View Post
    In the current Wonder Woman comic she has suddenly acquired a brother, Jason. I am researching this storyline and trying to think whether any other character's story was hijacked by a sibling in this way. I'm posting in the Marvel group as I want as much information from all publishers as possible. Can anyone think of characters where the title hero is almost superseded by a secondary character?
    In Iron man recently Riri Williams did so. I'm not counting Doctor Doom because he didn't take over Invincible Iron man. If I'm not mistaken, Infamous Iron man didn't exist prior to the books launch, so all Bendis did was give Doctor Doom an Iron man themed solo.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    In Iron man recently Riri Williams did so. I'm not counting Doctor Doom because he didn't take over Invincible Iron man.
    he didn't? who beat Madame Masque? where'd Amara end up?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    And then you have X-23 herself as well as Daken for Wolverine. Daken has been a bit divisive as a character, but the three of them all sort of go together. Gabby actually adds to the dynamic quite well. Sort of weird how that worked.
    Gabby is pretty clearly an X-23 supporting character and while Daken did have his own series for awhile, he does seem to be mostly used as a supporting character to X-23 or Wolverine. I do think that a case can be made that X-23 was able to carve out her own little sub-franchise, but I can see the point that she's seen more as a member of the Wolverine family of comics than as an X-Men character or a solo character the way Wolverine himself is.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    he didn't? who beat Madame Masque? where'd Amara end up?
    No, he didn't take over the book, he spun off into his own book having been supporting cast before Civil War II. Infamous did end up merging with Riri's book in Legacy though, at which point Tony was gradually reintroduced.

He's not a superhero as such, but Judge Dredd was once replaced in 2000AD by a younger clone of himself (Judge Kraken). Dredd had resigned and taken the "Long Walk" into the Cursed Earth. The Chief Judge kept his resignation secret and decided to replace him by Kraken, who then pretended to be Dredd for a time.

Predictably, it did not end well.

(There are lots of clones in Judge Dredd. A recent very funny Christmas story involved him having Christmas dinner with his niece Vienna Dredd (daughter of his dead clone brother Rico Dredd) and two much younger clone brothers, Dolman and Judge Rico.)

All-New Member

Thanks all - you pretty much screwed up my argument but at least I'm not travelling down the wrong road.