View Poll Results: How do you feel about mutants and non mutants joining each others’ teams?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mutants being on non x-teams OK/ non mutants being on x-teams OK

49 65.33%
  • Mutants being on non x-teams OK/ non mutants being on x-teams NOT OK

20 26.67%
  • Mutants being on non x-teams NOT OK/ non mutants being on x-teams OK

1 1.33%
  • Mutants being on non x-teams NOT OK/ non mutants being on x-teams NOT OK

5 6.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

X-Men, at least the main teams, should be mutants only. That's because the whole point of the X-Men it's to be a mutant team, first to show mutants as heroes, then to protect mutantkind, and a lot more mutant-related stuff. But Avengers or whatever, they're not about the members being human. They have all kinds of species, humans, aliens, gods... So there's no reason mutants would be excluded.

Should mutants be on non X-Men teams? Sure
    Should non mutants be on the X-Men? Depends on who it is and why.

Like with all respect to Captain America fans, he should never be on an X-team. Ever. But there are other non mutant characters I'd be fine with as long as the ratio of mutants is also much higher on the team. The non mutant should always be the token of the team and it should never be more non mutants than mutants, even half of the team being non mutants is too much.
    Last edited by Crimz; 05-16-2018 at 08:13 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Extraordinary Member

I said OK on both sides, but to be clear I do not like the idea of an established non-mutant character joining up. That just comes off as something mandated for marketing purposes. I'm not even a fan of the way Avengers was basically franchised out across the Marvel U the last few years. Keep the books distinct. Rarely is there going to be a need to bring in a non-mutant character but when the story wants it that is the best time.

BANNED

Both are fine. Some of my favorite X-People aren’t mutants like Moira MacTaggert, Val Cooper, Lockheed, Longshot, Cerise, etc.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

I think mutants on non x-teams would be natural because they can get the job done, and there are a lot. The only noticible difference would be that they wouldn't be in more mutant-centric stories. People might expect them to have an alliance with mutants though, which could be a good way to include more mutants across different books. Non-mutants on x-teams could work, but people would probably ask "why do you want to be on a mutant team?" I think that's why a couple of people are saying that they should have a strong relation to mutants if they were to be on an x-team. Of course it could work though. Mutants live amongst non-mutants. They mingle. The only reason they wouldn't want a non-mutant would be because they wouldn't trust them to be as passionate about the cause. Technically, a non-mutant with powers could just go and say "I'm a mutant," and they can say 'welcome on board' or 'we need a urine sample.' I personally like seeing mutants on non-mutant teams because it spreads them out more and includes them in different stories and situations.

Astonishing Member

My reasons are pretty selfish basis in terms of I always want more mutants everywhere. So I'd rather have ALL mutant X teams, to me this includes removing all these reformed villains taking spots of real mutant heroes. And then even non mutant teams having some mutants too.

Because there are SO MANY mutants over the years that get shelved and underused for either reformed villains to get story time, or some avenger hack, or an inhuman that suddenly wants to join.

I am always for more mutants, more mutant character development and panel time.

Reading through this discussion makes it clear to me that Teams are silly. Teams and codenames. For a long time, I guess, I've felt that the majority of mutants in the E-616 world have got to be people who aren't enrolled, engaged or in any way involved in fighting wars or in joining some cult or some exclusive club. It's the individuals on these teams that really interests me, their interactions with people...I am sick of missions, agendas, war, sports, after school teen specials, BIG EVENTS, head to head competitions, utopias...sick of all that. If that's what the X-Men are...I'm sick of the X-Men...

Nobody owns the word 'mutant.' Nobody says what or who is a mutant. Not a DNA test and not some lit mind map with a mind-reader big brothering the world looking for recruits.

X-Men or G.I. Joe...in the long run, it's a war story.

Today, the world is engaged in over 10,000 armed conflicts.
    There are 7.6 billion people in the world.
    There are over 22 million war veterans living in the United States alone...
    One veteran commits suicide every 65 seconds in the United States...

There's a story before and after the war in which the war itself occurs. I don't care about teams anymore.
    There's a percentage of mutants engaged in armed conflict, living as refugees, killing themselves because of war.
    There's a percentage of mutants who are fighting to save lives...some by fighting to save their own.

I'd like to read that book.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

I can think of many reasons for heroes or humans wanting to help or join the X-mens.

But would like to avoid very famous characters like Cap, Thor or Stark.

Amazing Member

I assume the reason there'd be segregation would be to reflect the political issues surrounding Marvel Mutants?

The whole thing is so contrived to begin with. "Oh poor me I have superpowers that elevate me far beyond mortal men, boo hoo." C'mon, we all know superpowered mutants would be worshiped like hollywood celebrities, if they existed. And really like anyone would care if the godling was born a godling, or if he was made into one some time after birth by an irradiated spider or a super-serum. Superpowered is superpowered, no one would care.

'Course if I'm being honest, the whole idea of supervillains is fairly ridiculous too, all of them could make a killing in the entertainment biz...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Let's mix-mash this piece. This team gets some mutants, this one gets non-mutants, Everyone gets someone!
    Buses and bayonets, whatever it takes to Integrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Should mutants be on non X-Men teams? Sure
    Should non mutants be on the X-Men? Depends on who it is and why.

Like with all respect to Captain America fans, he should never be on an X-team. Ever. But there are other non mutant characters I'd be fine with as long as the ratio of mutants is also much higher on the team. The non mutant should always be the token of the team and it should never be more non mutants than mutants, even half of the team being non mutants is too much.
    I agree with most of your post and your reasonings on the ratio.

Human superheroes or even Thor, Venom or Hulk should find a place on an X-Men team. Thor is very open with everyone because of his heritage and Hulk knows all about what the X-Men have experienced with government persecution and discrimination.

And on the topic of Hawkeye, even if he is a highly skilled human, he was the leader of the Thunderbolts for a long time and one of the better leaders. The Thunderbolts are a difficult and feisty bunch and he made it work well so even if by powers, he ain't all that, Hawkeye can work as he understands the concept of redemption better than most.

I'm all for non mutants, humans and Cosmic beings to join the X-Men.

Being just mutants only isn't what Xavier wanted. Integration was the end game.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    I can think of many reasons for heroes or humans wanting to help or join the X-mens.

But would like to avoid very famous characters like Cap, Thor or Stark.
    Steve Rogers has proven that he is a resounding no.

But Tony and Thor could work. Especially Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    I think mutants on non x-teams would be natural because they can get the job done, and there are a lot. The only noticible difference would be that they wouldn't be in more mutant-centric stories. People might expect them to have an alliance with mutants though, which could be a good way to include more mutants across different books. Non-mutants on x-teams could work, but people would probably ask "why do you want to be on a mutant team?" I think that's why a couple of people are saying that they should have a strong relation to mutants if they were to be on an x-team. Of course it could work though. Mutants live amongst non-mutants. They mingle. The only reason they wouldn't want a non-mutant would be because they wouldn't trust them to be as passionate about the cause. Technically, a non-mutant with powers could just go and say "I'm a mutant," and they can say 'welcome on board' or 'we need a urine sample.' I personally like seeing mutants on non-mutant teams because it spreads them out more and includes them in different stories and situations.
    I think Capt. Marvel, Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye, Daredevil, Spiderman and all the Fantastic 4 would champion and embrace the mutant cause.

Is in their character makeup and experiences to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Angrel-San View Post
    Steve Rogers has proven that he is a resounding no.

But Tony and Thor could work. Especially Thor.
    Nothing against them in general their relationship with mutants or X-mens is good except for events like Civil War or AvX but would like to see other heroes who are not on the A list but who would be interesting to have alongside the X-mens for a while.

Like the Runaways, Singularity or some hero who normally acts in space but gets stuck on Earth for a while. In fact the X-mens already have history in accepting aliens in the school.
    Last edited by Knives; 05-16-2018 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Nothing against them in general their relationship with mutants or X-mens is good except for events like Civil War or AvX but would like to see other heroes who are not on the A list but who would be interesting to have alongside the X-mens for a while.

Like the Runaways, Singularity or some hero who normally acts in space but gets stuck on Earth for a while. In fact the X-mens already have history in accepting aliens in the school.
    Beta Ray Bill and Mantis are good ones for Cosmic IMO.

Maybe even Starfox but that is kinda pushing it since Eros brings lots of baggage, LOL!