Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Re: the resurrection aspect of this, I think this is further confirmation from writers (not that we needed it, given that Hickman has said it in countless interviews) that resurrection is more than just a clone with memories. There's a soul aspect here. Even though Rockslide wasn't backed up in Otherworld (as Rictor was confirmed to not have been), it mattered where he died. That speaks to his soul or something similar being involved in the process.
    You are right! If it was really just cloning, then it wouldn't matter where they died.

Re: the resurrection aspect of this, I think this is further confirmation from writers (not that we needed it, given that Hickman has said it in countless interviews) that resurrection is more than just a clone with memories. There's a soul aspect here. Even though Rockslide wasn't backed up in Otherworld (as Rictor was confirmed to not have been), it mattered where he died. That speaks to his soul or something similar being involved in the process.
    You're right. His death on Otherworld was able to corrupt all of his copies in Cerebro. So evidently there is a connection between Rockslide's soul and the "anima" stored in Cerebro.

Meh issue. I really hope future issues are better.

>So. Much. Exposition!
    >The bright and cartoony art wasn't my cup of tea. This is a dark story. Have the art reflect that.
    >So... Can't Rockslide be backed up from a personality profile saved before he left Krakoa for Otherworld? Near real time updating seems like asking for trouble like this to happen. Of course, if the 'soul' aspect raised above is the real complicating factor, that makes sense... but it wasn't raised on the page in an issue that painfully expounded at extreme length about everything else.
    >Why is Polaris so concerned about someone she's never spoken to before? I realize she has mental issues (as highlighted in this issue) but geez.
    >In the Creation issue, Lorna just says the names of the swords to be used. Here, however, we've got long winded and needless riddles masquerading as deep prophecies. Totally unnecessary complexity.
    >Polaris building this gateway using Rockslide's stones? That's pretty Grimm. I mean... grim.
    >Poor Lorna. An already fragile personality having to deal with all this extra crap. She and Havok really do deserve each other.
    >The Five genuinely annoy me. Thank goodness I'm not reading X-Factor otherwise.
    >Apocalypse trying to kill Healer? Apocalypse better die 'permanently' at the end of this. His BS is overpowering now.
    >X and M berating A was everything.
    >Emma demanding the foolish contest be called off because one of her students died (again) was perfect.
    >Opal Luna needs to get a silver streak in her hair or different coloured eyes so I don't keep mistaking her for Emma all the time.

Favourite panels...
    xf1.jpg
    xf2.jpg
    xf3.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Agreed. It was too heavy handed and lacking nuance.

Lorna's response to Rockslides death was too over the top juvenile. This is where I do have to think Marvel's embargo on Genosha genocide call backs for her does themselves a disservice. Get rid of some of the wanting to fade away nonsense. Include a line or two showing she is emotionally having PTSD about her past failures and connecting them to Rockslides death and it would have felt much more realistic. It was a fine last page with her, but a few tweaks could have made a big difference.
    I don't know about this Genosha embargo... but in any case, yes, it was a strange development for Lorna. The problem was that it also didn't make any sense with respect to what happened in the previous issue. Lorna wasn't in a leadership role in XoS: Creation. Alex was actually calling most of the shots. And in this issue she was like "it's all my fault".

It's just subtlety in the writing. You can understand that that's what's influencing Lorna's emotional state without having to cite an issue number.
    Leah's writing is as subtle as a sledgehammer. It's pretty rough and needs a lot of fine-tuning.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyworthnoting View Post
    The Last pages are guesses. Technically the abandoned and betrayed father/husband is more related to apocalypse, but it could 100% fit magneto as in this exact same issue lorna talks about not wanting to live.
    Apo is surely there. The five at the back was a mystery but now we know it is Storm, Gorgon, Doug, the other two is still a mystery

They can't just use a previous Rockslide backup because Otherworld's magic has corrupted all existing Rockslide copies.

Magic stuff. And Cerebro wasn't created magic shit proof.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post

>So. Much. Exposition!
    >The bright and cartoony art wasn't my cup of tea. This is a dark story. Have the art reflect that.
    >So... Can't Rockslide be backed up from a personality profile saved before he left Krakoa for Otherworld? Near real time updating seems like asking for trouble like this to happen. Of course, if the 'soul' aspect raised above is the real complicating factor, that makes sense... but it wasn't raised on the page in an issue that painfully expounded at extreme length about everything else.
    >Why is Polaris so concerned about someone she's never spoken to before? I realize she has mental issues (as highlighted in this issue) but geez.
    >In the Creation issue, Lorna just says the names of the swords to be used. Here, however, we've got long winded and needless riddles masquerading as deep prophecies. Totally unnecessary complexity.
    >Polaris building this gateway using Rockslide's stones? That's pretty Grimm. I mean... grim.
    >Poor Lorna. An already fragile personality having to deal with all this extra crap. She and Havok really do deserve each other.
    >The Five genuinely annoy me. Thank goodness I'm not reading X-Factor otherwise.
    >Apocalypse trying to kill Healer? Apocalypse better die 'permanently' at the end of this. His BS is overpowering now.
    >Emma demanding the foolish contest be called off because one of her students died (again) was perfect.
    >Opal Luna needs to get a silver streak in her hair or different coloured eyes so I don't keep mistaking her for Emma all the time.

Favourite panels...
    xf1.jpg
    xf2.jpg
    xf3.jpg
    I think the last thing Lorna needs is Havok’s mess in her life. Even though some things were stretched out I still managed to stay engaged. Hopefully they can keep that up for 20 more issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    This was supposed to be the original team to go to Otherworld, look at who replaced Glob.
    They've already said that that image was done super early to make it in time for FCBD and the story wasn't set yet. They were probably deciding on one of the young'ns to bite it, but just for that comic they had to draw someone.

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    They've already said that that image was done super early to make it in time for FCBD and the story wasn't set yet. They were probably deciding on one of the young'ns to bite it, but just for that comic they had to draw someone.
    In fairness, it would have been a hell of a lot more unpleasant to see if Glob had been cut in two.

Like ... Would he spill? How does his body works?

Mighty Member

I dunno why they pushed for Saturnyne to have regular blonde hair rather than her classic Platinum. Without it, she and Emma are indistinguishable, personality and looks wise.

>So. Much. Exposition!
    Agreed on all points! The Five are written rather obnoxiously. I don't know if X-Factor is going to be able to change that since it's primary focus is on the main team.

The art, while uninspired, was an improvement so I'm not going to complain lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    I dunno why they pushed for Saturnyne to have regular blonde hair rather than her classic Platinum. Without it, she and Emma are indistinguishable, personality and looks wise.
    EXACTLY

I'll bet a certain writer campaigned vigorously for it not being Glob to bite it. Plus seeing Polaris spreading Glob's globs all over the ground to create the sword summoning circle would just be icky. Still, a physically warped Glob with a completely new and bad ass personality who doesn't look like a Ghostbusters villain might get me to stop loathing the character.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Mighty Member

I'll bet a certain writer campaigned vigorously for it not being Glob to bite it. Plus seeing Polaris spreading Glob's globs all over the ground to create the sword summoning circle would just be icky. Still, a physically warped Glob with a completely new and bad ass personality who doesn't look like a Ghostbusters villain might get me to stop loathing the character.
    I was hoping if he really bit the dust, he wouldn't appear anymore in New Mutants...

It's just subtlety in the writing. You can understand that that's what's influencing Lorna's emotional state without having to cite an issue number.
    But you need to be a hardcore Marvel fan to get that "subtlety." Casual readers need not apply, just go ahead and assume there's no reason for her to behave the way she does.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    Sorry, but I have the feeling that Jordan White didn't tell the whole truth. Jordan said it WAS a story change so originally it was meant to be Glob.