Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I feel like Scott could deliver a good Wonder Woman run, and she definitely cares about the character and the mythos (even if she had to truncate some of it for Bloodlines).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like Scott could deliver a good Wonder Woman run, and she definitely cares about the character and the mythos (even if she had to truncate some of it for Bloodlines).
    Yeah, felt like it tried to cram two or three seasons of a possible show in one movie. But I felt it was one Diana’s better outings in animation so I’d be interested to see her on the character again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yes, if they were bringing back older writers Simone would also be one I’d like to see on a second run aside from Jimenez. The current status quo isn’t ideal but she’d have better ground to work on than her first run did.

I also considered Scott, she was one of the writers on Bloodlines which I thought I was decent enough despite how many story points it tried to cram in.
    She was clearly trying to incorporate as many “great” moments from WW history as she could, since who knows if we’ll ever get another WW animated movie? I think she would kill it on a run that wasn’t hamstrung by dumb editorial mandates.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    She was clearly trying to incorporate as many “great” moments from WW history as she could, since who knows if we’ll ever get another WW animated movie? I think she would kill it on a run that wasn’t hamstrung by dumb editorial mandates.
    Yeah, when I first saw it I joked it should have been called Wonder Woman: Hush given they shared the general basis of the villain gauntlet and lot of iconic moments/images from the character's history packed together in one story.

Yeah, when I first saw it I joked it should have been called Wonder Woman: Hush given they shared the general basis of the villain gauntlet and lot of iconic moments/images from the character's history packed together in one story.
    Now that I think about it, they even had the "surprise mastermind" moment like Hush did.

And for a well established world that works fine. Hush is a good tour of “status quo” Batman, it tells you all you need to know about the major players without being an origin rehash. But when so many of WW Rogues first appearances were as part of a Hush plot, it left stuff feeling undercooked. Again though I don’t hold that against Scott. In an ideal world we would’ve gotten multiple animated WW films each introducing and featuring Rogues like Cyber, Poison, Cheetah, and Cale, but that was always a pipe dream. As it was its a solid romp through the Wonderverse and makes me want to see her tackle it proper like with a run.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Someone who has read a lot of Marston, Perez, and Rucka and can continue to push the character, her villains, and her world in the direction that it needs to go (up).

Someone who won't come in and use the title for their own pet characters (Maggie, Jason, all of Azz's characters).

Someone who knows more than just Cheetah and Giganta, and is willing to flesh out and elevate villains that haven't been used in a while, like Queen Clea, Decay, or Osira.

Someone who gets that Diana resorts to violence only when absolutely necessary.

Someone who can incorporate some sass and fun into the Wonder Woman character, like the Golden Age.

Someone with a consistent artist to work alongside.

I don't think I'm asking for much.
    YES! All of this.

Someone who respects Diana and her legacy, including long-term friends, family and foes. Someone who is willing to treat Diana and everyone else who appears in the comic book with consistency in terms of depictions, powers, characterisation, motivation, etc. If Wonder Woman can't be presented consistently / canonically across all DC titles, then she should at least be internally consistent in her solo title.

Someone who is willing and able to fight for the right to include characters like Donna Troy, Cassie Sandsmark and Artemis on a regular basis. It is crazy how little the Wonder Family interacts.

Someone who doesn't accept the assignment simply because it enables them to present yet another WW-INO by once again changing Diana's origins, powers, supporting characters, etc. If that's what they want to do, pitch an "Elseworlds" miniseries or event.

Finally, someone who will stick around for 12 months or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    YES! All of this.

Someone who respects Diana and her legacy, including long-term friends, family and foes. Someone who is willing to treat Diana and everyone else who appears in the comic book with consistency in terms of depictions, powers, characterisation, motivation, etc. If Wonder Woman can't be presented consistently / canonically across all DC titles, then she should at least be internally consistent in her solo title.

Someone who is willing and able to fight for the right to include characters like Donna Troy, Cassie Sandsmark and Artemis on a regular basis. It is crazy how little the Wonder Family interacts.

Someone who doesn't accept the assignment simply because it enables them to present yet another WW-INO by once again changing Diana's origins, powers, supporting characters, etc. If that's what they want to do, pitch an "Elseworlds" miniseries or event.

Finally, someone who will stick around for 12 months or more.
    A long-term writer would definitely be nice but I'd say the main problem of most recent runs has been the book just becoming the one writers are put on to fulfill editorial mandates; Robinson with Jason and Tamaki with the Max Lord movie tie-in. Can't help but feel this will also be what happens whenever the new writer gets announced with the relaunch to just make sense of the "Diana starting in WW2 origin".

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

A long-term writer would definitely be nice but I'd say the main problem of most recent runs has been the book just becoming the one writers are put on to fulfill editorial mandates; Robinson with Jason and Tamaki with the Max Lord movie tie-in. Can't help but feel this will also be what happens whenever the new writer gets announced with the relaunch to just make sense of the "Diana starting in WW2 origin".
    If at least the quality of the writing was better. Those editorial mandates could have been better too. Also a plan for the long run is needed. DC is not going to have events or a WW film coming every single month. So they should put some effort into world building and consistency. It's not difficult at all. It just requires work. Which i guess they don't want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    If at least the quality of the writing was better. Those editorial mandates could have been better too. Also a plan for the long run is needed. DC is not going to have events or a WW film coming every single month. So they should put some effort into world building and consistency. It's not difficult at all. It just requires work. Which i guess they don't want to do.
    I guess the best writers on most books are able to work even with undesirable editorial mandates but I don't even think Diana's best writers could get a concept like "long lost deadbeat brother" to work.

Maybe someone someday will convince me Max has a place in Diana's mythos but so far it's been all strike outs.

Astonishing Member

Kelly Thompson
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Geoerge Pérez.

I know he’s retired as an artist, but I’d love to have him back as a writer, w. a young Padawan on art chores.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Geoerge Pérez.

I know he’s retired as an artist, but I’d love to have him back as a writer, w. a young Padawan on art chores.
    I tried to avoid listing people who've already had a run on the main book but I think he or someone like Jimenez might make a decent editor if it was ever a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    Nora K. Jemisin. Her work in Far Sector is brilliant.
    I second this emotion.

Jemisin's work is absolutely brilliant. Far Sector is my favorite DC comic in years. So many people are sleeping on it, but Jemisin and Jamal Campbell are doing some of the best comic book work I've seen in decades.

EDIT: And Jemisin just won the MacArthur Genius Fellowship: https://www.macfound.org/programs/fellows/
    Last edited by SonOfBaldwin; 10-06-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

I tried to avoid listing people who've already had a run on the main book but I think he or someone like Jimenez might make a decent editor if it was ever a possibility.
    A team comprised of a WW veteran (in some capacity) and new talent w. an eye towards the future could make for a memorable run.